• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Euro Prospect Hype

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

KB

NBA Starter
Reaction score
Figured with where the Cavs are going to be drafting for awhile that a thread for Euro players wouldn't be a bad idea.

The first player I wanted to post about is a 7'1 216lb 17 yr old by the name of Dragan Bender. I picked him even though he may be a lottery pick since he plays for Blatts old Israel team so the Cavs may have more knowledge about him than other organizations due to Blatt's connections over there.

In the future I probably won't post Euro's that are expected to go this high but instead either interesting Euro's who are eligible for NBA FA or who would be good draft and stash candidates like Cedi

And before you go ":eww. bleacherreport, so it must be terrible". This article was written by David Pick so stfu :chuckle:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-bender-who-could-be-2016s-kristaps-porzingis

Meet 17-Year-Old European Dragan Bender, Who Could Be 2016's Kristaps Porzingis

By David Pick, International Hoops Insider Sep 30, 2015

TEL AVIV, Israel — It was almost midnight. Future top NBA draft pick Dragan Bender was last to exit the locker room.

Thrown across one of his shoulders was a small knapsack, while his svelte arms toted a yellow, human-sized garbage bag full of soaked jerseys and gym socks.

Preparing for an NBA assignment, perhaps?

"I'm the youngest on the team. Rookie duties," the Croatian phenom said.

Bender, an impossibly gangly 7'1", 216-pound 17-year-old currently playing for European powerhouse Maccabi Tel Aviv, appears to be a surefire 2016 NBA draft lottery pick.

Though he turns 18 on November 17, June 2016 is distant on the horizon, and Bender has a world of hype to validate in the interim. His first major NBA audition for scouts comes this week as Bender and Maccabi headline a two-part exhibition series with Italian club Emporio Armani Milan (owned by fashion icon Giorgio Armani) in Chicago on Thursday and New York on Sunday.

Houston Rockets draft-and-stash (via Minnesota Timberwolves) Alessandro Gentile will also play in front of his NBA rights-holder's representatives. But for every other NBA team—over half the league will send scouts—all eyes are on Bender.

With Maccabi, Bender has quickly proved himself capable over seven preseason games, hitting double digits in points five times thus far. Coaches and draft analysts have high hopes, and he's already earning comparisons to 2015 draft show-stealer Kristaps Porzingis.

"I didn't know what to expect of Dragan," said Maccabi head coach Guy Goodes. "But he surprised me. He's still learning how to play at a high level, makes some mistakes, and forgot a few defensive assignments. But he's young and has given us solid 15-20 minutes per game.

"The only thing '17 years old' about him is his mustache."

Bender still has plenty of development ahead, typical growing pains any 17-year-old faces: long-range precision, composure in traffic and toughness in the paint, most notably. But his Maccabi coach is mostly bullish on his upside.

"He is focused on the mechanics of his three-point shot, which is something he invested a lot of work into over the summer," Goodes told Bleacher Report. "His game has matured from the minor league, because he is playing with better players and isn't the center of attention. He hit some wide-open shots, has active hands, changed shots and got deflections. Still, he needs to improve his penetration under contact. He struggled with that a bit. His body is extremely long, so he can get defenders up in the air, but it's a learning process."

This time last year, DraftExpress scout Jonathan Givony projected Bender being the No. 13 pick in his 2016 NBA mock draft. Since then, his stock has risen.

Video:

https://youtu.be/dOg1u0nqyhg

During the Euroleague junior showcase in Rome last December, Bender exploded with 43 points and 21 boards in just 35 minutes and left scouts drooling.

Givony spent time monitoring Bender in the flesh at Basketball Without Borders and the Adidas Eurocamp in Treviso, Italy, after which he bumped the Croatian prospect up to No. 5 on his mock board.

"How do you find a 7'1" kid that's 17 years old, that is skilled with such a feel for the game like Dragan's? It doesn't exist," Givony told Bleacher Report. "Compare where Dragan is now to where [New York Knicks No. 4 pick] Kristaps Porzingis was at the same age, and there's no comparison. Bender is way ahead in terms of how polished he is, creativity, versatility and his body. I was watching some of his games from preseason in France and Israel, and he is huge.

"His body made a huge jump this summer. Every time I watch him, he is better, stronger; his jumper is better, his ball-handling, he runs coast-to-coast, dishes off. … NBA teams will fall in love with him."

Video:

https://youtu.be/Jee_t14EU8U

But there are questions as to whether Bender will enter the 2016 NBA draft. Nikola Vujcic, a former European legend who serves as general manager for Maccabi and Bender's guardian, says the prospect will only be lured by a high lottery pick.

"We're not thinking that far, but Dragan will enter the draft if he gets a top-three commitment. Maybe top-five. Maybe he will do like Dario Saric—get drafted and return to Europe to develop. Dragan is excited about his future, but he needs to prove himself in the Euroleague," Vujcic told Bleacher Report.

Bender's trying not to get ahead of himself, too. "I don't know, but I'm sure a lot of NBA scouts will be watching me [in Chicago and New York]. I couldn't play in the Worlds, so this is a good chance for them. But I'm not thinking about that so much, I'm going to play 100 percent on both ends of the floor and focus on winning," Bender said in a conversation with Bleacher Report.

Sources told Bleacher Report that almost all NBA teams have issued passes to watch Bender, with the Denver Nuggets, Philadelphia 76ers and Orlando Magic engaging in discussions with Maccabi officials. The Boston Celtics, Brooklyn Nets, Dallas Mavericks, Memphis Grizzlies and Milwaukee Bucks have also been issued credentials.

"I've been told that lots of scouts will come to see Dragan, but I'm not sure who specific. It's the best time for scouts. There is no high school basketball, no college games and no Euroleague. All 30 teams should be here," Vujcic said.

Maurizio Gherardini, former vice president for the Toronto Raptors and the current director of Adidas Eurocamp, believes Bender will be the top choice from Europe, and that there isn't much competition.

"There isn't much of a choice. He is the best prospect overseas and among the top draft picks for sure," Gherardini said. "Bender is the next big thing, and I suspect all 30 teams will have eyes on him in Chicago and New York."

Assuming Bender declares, he will have plenty more mountains to climb. Without the ability to take over offensively, finding the right fit with his first NBA team will be huge for Bender's basketball career.

"It doesn't matter if he's drafted one, five, nine or 11. Who cares? That's just one day," said Givony. "Dragan needs to get through his rookie contract, because he won't fit in with every team. He will never be a dominant force or a No. 1 scorer for a team. He isn't LeBron or KD. Dragan does a little bit of everything. That's his game."

In advance of Bender's American debut, Bleacher Report sat down with the Croatian prospect for a brief Q&A about his immediate and long-term basketball future.

Q&A:

Bleacher Report: Whom do you mimic your game after?

Dragan Bender: My idol is Toni Kukoc. I used to look up to him, but now I learn from Dirk Nowitzki and Nikola Mirotic. I like to steal some of their moves and use them in my game.

For example, Dirk's shot—it's impossible to shoot like him, no one can—but some things like his IQ and how he sees the floor. I liked Mirotic when he was with Real Madrid, and I followed his adjustment from Europe to the NBA. He was running for Rookie of the Year.

B/R: Why did you choose No. 3 for Maccabi Tel Aviv?

DB: I wanted No. 7 like Toni Kukoc, but it was taken. I've had No. 7 since the juniors. Also, last season in Ramat Gan, I wore No. 7. But I took No. 3 because it's a cool number, and for Drazen Petrovic, who is a legend in Croatia.

B/R: What's the main thing you need to improve?

DB:I focus on defense because that is how I'll get my minutes, and that's the main thing I need to improve. Also my shooting; I play like a stretch 4, but if I don't hit shots, there is no reason for me to be on the court.

B/R: What have you learned since joining Maccabi?

DB: I feel the difference between the second division and Maccabi, my game has matured after last season. I understand the game more and how it feels to be a foreigner on a team in a different country. I've been practicing with Maccabi on and off since I was 14 years old under David Blatt. I learned a lot.

B/R: Are you going to enter the 2016 NBA draft?

DB: I have no idea. I'm not thinking much about the NBA. My focus is with Maccabi and to adjust to this level and earn minutes with one of the best teams in Europe. I want to win more titles in Israel and Europe.

David Pick is a veteran pro basketball reporter covering overseas hoops and American players abroad since 2010. He covers international basketball for Bleacher Report. You can follow David Pick on Twitter at @IAmDPick. All quotes were obtained firsthand.

Place holder post for names of Euros so people don't have to dig through if the thread gets long;

1) Dragan Bender SF / PF / C

2) Furkan Korkmaz - SG / SF

3) Zhou Qi, Xinjiang - C

4) Egemen Guven - PF / C

5) George de Paula - PG/SG

6) Timothe Luwawu - SG/SF

7) Aleksander Vezenkov - SF/PF

8) Alpha Kaba - PF/C

9) Juan Hernangomez - PF

10) Thon Maker - C - May drop to 2nd round, reports from today have stated that teams don't believe he is 19 and that his real age is in his early 20's (22 or 23)

11) Ivica Zubac - C

12) Guerschon Yabusele - SF/PF

Last edited:
The 2nd Euro is not a top 5 but in the 13-18 range for 2016 if he comes out.

Furkan Korkmaz, Anadolu Efes
17 years old | 6’6”, 170 pounds | guard

It’s hard to imagine an NBA in which a 6’6” guard with ball skills isn’t a coveted prospect. He helped Turkey win gold in the 2014 FIBA Europe U-18 championship and moved quickly through Efes’s youth system and onto its first team. He’s a confident shooter and an adept passer who projects as an off-the-ball scorer and facilitator in the NBA.

https://youtu.be/7T0dhGx43gA

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/furkan-korkmaz

NBA Comparison: Gordon Hayward

Strengths:

Korkmaz can be described as a natural born scorer ... This type of player is the dream of every coach ... He has almost everything in the offensive dimension of the game and rarely struggle to create a score option to himself ... He is a sharp shooter with a high percentage behind the arc ... He averaged almost 50% in the latest U19 World championships and did so by utilizing shots within the team system ... His shooting skill is simply outstanding ... He never ies away from shooting the ball when he is open ... This can be around the basket, mid range shots or three pointers ... Especially when he is matched up with slower and shorter opponents, he has many ways to get open looks ... It is hard to find someone who is polished making off-screen shots nowadays in youth tournaments but Korkmaz is a special type of player who is adept in this ... He handles the ball well and this is what he improved upon in the last year ... It looks like he has had good practice habits because now he has better command of his hands than before ... Athleticism and physical tools of European players are generally the biggest question mark in NBA GMs minds ... When we have a look at Korkmaz’ athleticism, it is easy to see that he will be able to cope with NBA players ... His athleticism is one step above his peers ... His agility and jumping skills allow him to complete highlight dunks ... His athleticism is not like the Hezonja’s, but formidable it his own right ... He is tall for his position and this causes mismatches for his opponent's team ... Even though he is taller than most of the guys who play his position, he doesn’t have any problem with speed... He is an agile player who is doing individual training to become more agile ... He knows the game very well and has very great fundamentals. He loves to take the ball coast to coast, after a rebound ... He's very aggressive in looking for penetration towards the basket thanks to his agility and speed ... He is a smart player, always thinking on the floor .. He always seeks mismatches and how to exploit the defense ... In addition to his scoring ability, he is good at finding the right passing channels and extremely unselfish ... Embraces a leadership role and accepts responsibility for the team's fate ... Has learned to become a kid with a strong work either over the years. You would not be able to say that two years ago, which is a great development ... He has shown great improvement in his all around game ... He was not a good penetrator two years ago but now when he finds an opening in the defense, he never avoids driving to the basket ... That’s why he is a high level prospect. He is continually improving his game ... Has experience. He has already competed at the senior level (around some of the best players in Europe) and the experience factor is important in the development process of his game ... He will not be like a fish out of water when he sets foot in the NBA which is a common thing among European players. An 18 year old player with real Euroleague experience is not a common thing.

Weaknesses:

His defense is the developing part of his game ... It is hard to say that he is a bad player defensively. On the contrary, he has quick hands and has nice steal stats in every tournament, but he needs to bulk a little bit to be effective at the NBA level ... Some opponents are able to effectively play post up against him ... He needs to gain weight for not just his defense but in order to become a more explosive player ... We saw the same case in Hezonja’s development ... Korkmaz has a good frame, and is going to have balanced and fit body when he put the work in in gym ... Still has a tendency to disappear during games, although I know he has the clutch gene to rise when it matters ... Maybe he is doing this because of the fact that the team has other talents with more consistency at this point ... But a steady level of play will be an important addition for his game ...

Outlook:

He has shown great dedication in the four years I have followed him. He's been developing his game day by day and in 1-2 years, we can expect his break out season ... He's got the attention of all the NBA scouts and his name is on their short lists of top Euro prospects 18 years old Turkish international will attend one more youth tournament this year and will join Turkish NT this summer most likely. A busy summer is waiting him and we will see how he will perform in these upcoming tournaments ...

Notes:

Made a name for himself at the U16 European Championship and finished the tournament as the highest scorer. He averaged 25.3 PPG. One year later he played in U18 European championships as one year younger than most of the players in his position and managed to have a good tournament and was considered as the the key part of Turkish team that achieved gold there ... His third tournament took place this year in Crete ... In U19 World Championships, he was selected for the all tournament team and helped the NT to get the bronze by beating Greece on their home court ... Beside his youth tournament career, this year he has played in the highest level in Euroleague and this has transformed him into an experienced player at a young age ... He got some minutes in both Turkish league and Euroleague. We saw him as a first tier scoring option in some games rather than just a catch-n-shoot type of player ... He got enough responsibility from legendary coach Ivkovic and definitely this mutual trust is a kind of underlying reason of Korkmaz’ success.

Chad Ford would go from 6 to 12 with this topic.

Here is an interesting one from China, projected late 1st round to early 2nd. This is a player I'd like the Cavs to take a look at if they have a pick seeing as Andy is about done and Timo / Kaun both 30 or going to be with in the next 18 months.

20. Zhou Qi, Xinjiang
19 years old | 7’2”, 209 pounds | center

Qi is already being hailed as the best Chinese prospect since Yao Ming, but he has some work to do before he begins living up to expectations. The first item on the check list is putting on some weight. His lanky frame allows him to get pushed around in the frontcourt, but he has a surprisingly soft touch on his shots and can play well in pick-and-roll settings. Until he has an NBA-ready body, though, Qi will be a high-upside, high-risk prospect.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/zhou-qi

NBA Comparison: JB Carroll/Loren Woods

Strengths:

Center prospect with very good length and mobility ... Has great feel for the game ... Very smart and shows good decision making ... Good ball handler for his size and position ... Can take it up the court if guards aren't in position for outlet, will even take it coast to coast ... Great touch around the rim and even extends his range out to the 3-point line with great shooting mechanics ... Should be able to develop NBA 3-Point range with time ... Runs the floor like a deer with long easy strides ... Has great offensive skills fundamentally ... Off ball movement is very good, and has a feel for finding open gaps and passing lanes ... Has huge hands and long wingspan that allow him to make difficult catches ... Above average passer for his position ... Not as soft as his thin frame would suggest ... Covers a lot of ground defensively for deflections and blocks ... The best rim protector to ever come out of China with a combination of great timing and incredible length and mobility ... Is a two way player who has the skill-set and talent to contribute on both ends ... Very coachable and looks to get better ... Possesses a high ceiling ...

Weaknesses:

Mental toughness has been a question mark ... Doesn't show any emotion, always has the same facial expression ... Doesn't have a killer insitnct or attitude ... Lacks muscle and weight for his position ... Defensively has had problems guarding the opposition's import player ... Defensive rebounding needs to improve, is often seen not boxing out or not moving to optimal rebounding position ... Does not have a high motor ... Not vocal enough, rarely seen directing the defense ... At times too passive in the CBA not looking to attack, although he was much more aggressive in youth tournaments ... Slow release and gets no lift on his shot ... Compared to NBA standards is not considered an explosive athlete ... Has not been able to show the dominance in the CBA that Yao Ming and Yi JianLian showed before they went to the NBA ... His listed age is a question mark ...

Notes:

Was measured officially at the 2014 Nike All-Asia Camp at 7'1 (2.17 m) with a 7'6 (2.28 m) wingspan and standing reach of 9'2 (2.80 m), unfortunately did not fully attend and only did individual workouts in a back gym ... Reports are that he signed a 3 + 2 year option deal with the Xinjiang Flying Tigers this off-season ... Is in the process of signing a long term deal with NIKE and should participate in the coming NIKE Summit which will really test him against international competition ... Is already a core piece of the Chinese National Team .
2014-15 CBA Season Averages:

31 Games
29.1 Minutes
14.1 Points
7.0 Rebounds
0.7 Assists
0.8 Steals
3.3 Blocks
1.3 Turnovers

Video

https://youtu.be/TAsTYNrK9IM

Another big projected to go late 1st early to early 2nd that I wouldn't mind seeing the Cavs take a look at. Out of all the ones I posted today Guven and Bender sound like the best fit.

Would love to see this Guven there when the Cavs pick, would be nice to have big other than Love that has a post game.

Egemen Guven, Karsiyaka
18 years old | 6’11”, 210 pounds | forward

This Turkish star-in-the-making has already drawn Pau Gasol comparisons because of his size, footwork and ability to drop in baskets over both shoulders in the post. He’ll have to add weight to his frame in order to play on the low block in the NBA, but he could develop into a dangerous four in the right system.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/egemen-guven

NBA Comparison: Pau Gasol

Strengths:

There are many things to like about Guven's game that makes him so intriguing for the NBA ... He really reminds a lot of people of a young Pau Gasol ... Guven, like the Spanish PF, is a really skilled player, not a bully kind of player, he actually uses his skill to score in the post ... He can finish on both blocks going over both shoulders, something rare to see at any level ... His little hook is very soft and precise ... He also has very good footwork, knows how to use his pivot feet and has the agility to work around bigger defenders and explode to the basket ... Very long and tall, Guven isn’t an ultra athletic or strong player but really knows how to run the floor and around the basket he is better than what people think in dunking on drop offs even when contested ... Another quality that I love about Guven is that he never brings the ball down to his waist on offensive rebounds or high passes ... He has great balance and trust in his body to finish quickly at the rim ... he's a good passer out of the post, he likes to make assists, but has also the IQ to just kick the ball out when nothing is there ... He can shoot FTs without problem and has a nice shot from the elbows. He doesn’t really have a face up game but could develop it in the future ... Defensively he is not really a rim protector, but has good instincts for rebounds and has underrated lateral movements ... On P&Rs he does a good job in showing and hedging hard, sometimes even switching where he uses his long arms to contest smaller players shots. Overall some of the qualities he has are so rare in a 6’11’’ player with upside left to develop; Guven has to be considered one of the top, if not the top prospect of 1996 class in Europe ...

Weaknesses:

The major weakness that jumps out is his lack of strength ... Stronger and more athletic players do not intimidate him but he does struggle a lot to finish and take position against them ... Like many skilled players, he prefers the game when the game is cleaner, and more closely officiated ... He doesn’t thrive when defenders get into him and push him around ... He is not a great athlete, something that at the highest level could limit his efficiency on the boards ... The shot right now is efficient, but a little slow, and overall his game is very slow once he catches the ball ... He is more efficent when he doesn’t get sped up, and he will have to learn how to do speed up his moves ... Defensively as well, he struggles against tougher guys who get under his hips ... He also settles too much behind them in the post. He can't afford to do that in the NBA or he will get killed by bigger players ... He lacks a face up game, something he should work on to be able to play 4 in the NBA ... The big concern is that he will never be able to put on enough muscle and strength to compete with the best players in the world. And if he does that he will somehow lose some of the skills that make him unique ... He needs to take advantage of the upside he has, working hard on his upper body, and keep building on his skillset, if he does that I’m confident in 5 years he could become a very dangerous matchup at any level

Notes:

One of the most impressive players at the recent Euro U18 in Konya, Turkey ... Guven led Turkey to the gold medal, performing at high level night after night ... He ended up averaging 14 ppg and 7 rpg though his stats are diminished due to the fact that he played only 9 minutes vs. Serbia in the game when Turkey rested most of their key players ... Against Spain he had 21 and 18 with a very impressive game against one of the rising players in Europe, Sima ....

Video:

https://youtu.be/1AcR3nHypog

Dragon Bender probably has the best name ever!
He is a solid young prospect, coming from good Croatian foundation. His issue right now is that he looks like a long spaghetti- he needs to put weight and muscles but he is very young so I can see him having a very bright future, and if not "How to train your dragon 3" is always an option...

Reactions: KB
I really wonder why so many of these big fellas are ranked above my boy Mamadou Ndiaye of the remote foreign area of California Irvine. Draftexpress has him at #77, I'd take him at the end of the first in a heartbeat.

I really wonder why so many of these big fellas are ranked above my boy Mamadou Ndiaye of the remote foreign area of California Irvine. Draftexpress has him at #77, I'd take him at the end of the first in a heartbeat.

Mamadou is freaking huge. I think he ends up going in the first because of the risk / reward there, you can't teach that kind of size.

I think a big reason why some of the Euro's get ranked higher than prospects like Mamadou who are already here is that a lot of scouts are over exposed to the talent in the US. They have too much time to pick them apart over the course of their AAU, high school and college levels performance. Where as the Euro's have a couple camps and tournaments a year where the younger guys are the center of attention.

Most of the younger guys overseas have a hard time getting 10-15 minutes a game so there isn't as much footage to watch on them. Combine that with the level of competition being below that of the US and it becomes a predict the potential game which leaves more open to interpretation.

The next few were in last years draft at one point but ended up pulling up.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/george-de-paula

George de Paula - PG/SG
  • Ht: 6-6 / 200 lbs

Strengths:

Great size for the PG position, has amazing physical tools to play basketball, 7’ 0” wingspan with huge hands and a strong body at his age at 200 pounds ... Possesses some intriguing PG skills, very good ball handling, with great crossovers, hesitation moves, change of directions, combo moves, creating plays for himself and teammates ... Knows how to post up smaller players ... Good court vision, always looking for the open man for a drive and dish, a creative passer ... From a defensive standpoint, he’s capable of defending on the ball, has good feet, and also good plays the passing lanes well with his amazing arms ... Has the potential to be very good on rebounds on both ends and block shots ... Can contest shots and disrupt jumpers ... Just 19 years old, so has time to improve ...

Weaknesses:

Not an athletic player, doesn’t have great leaping ability and lacks an explosive first step ... Experience and feel for the game are low ... Has a tendency to over dribble ... Sometimes takes ill advised shots and misses opportunities because of that ... Doesn’t have a good midrange shot, and needs to improve his shot selection ... Form and fundamentals on his shot are bad ... Has a long, looping release which makes it difficult for him to get it off, and difficult to replicate consistently ... Assist/TO rate is not good, makes bad decisions on the court causing TO ... Needs to be more unselfish and concentrate, doesn’t have great focus ... Need to improve his defensive skills, don’t have good fundamental skills on D, relies upon his amazing body ...

Notes:

Full name is "George Lucas Alves de Paula" ... Measured 6' 4.5'' barefoot, 197.0 lbs, with a 7' 0'' wingspan, 8' 8'' standing reach, 6.70% body fat at the NBA draft combine ...

Video:

https://youtu.be/CRkCW9Cf6B4ide

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Draft-Prospect-of-the-Week-Timothe-Luwawu-4810/

NBA Draft Prospect of the Week: Timothe Luwawu
(SG/SF - ht: 6'7 - 205 lbs)

by: Jonathan Givony - President, Mike SchmitzFebruary 3, 2015

A year ago, virtually no one in his home country of France, even in the basketball community, knew much of anything about then-18 year oldTimothe Luwawu. He had never played for any of France's various youth national teams, and he saw only 23 mop-up minutes in Pro A with his hometown team, Antibes, which was on the verge of being relegated back to the second division after only having been promoted that season.

Instead, Luwawu was biding his time in France's junior (Espoirs) league, which plays its games a few hours before the pros suit up on match-day every weekend. Luwawu's strong performance in the Espoirs league (18 points [52% 2P%, 34% 3P%], 6.5 rebounds, 2.8 assists, 1.5 steals in under 30 minutes per game) eventually earned him an invite to the France's U20 national team which competed in the European Championship last summer, where he played a minor role on a team that finished in 8th place.

Part of the team's preparation for the U20s was a series of games at the adidas EuroCamp in June, and Luwawu perked his head up just enough in the last two games (scoring 25 points in 46 minutes, including 5/7 for 3) to get noticed and likely earn some attention from the many NBA scouts in attendance.

This season started much like the year before, coming off the bench, this time in Pro B, but Luwawu played well enough in the first two months to earn the trust of young head coach Julien Espinosa and land himself a spot in his team's starting five, and he's mostly held onto that over the last ten games. Antibes has won 6 of their last 7 games, and finds itself just two games out of second place now, as they attempt to put themselves in position to get promoted back to Pro A next year.

Luwawu (who sometimes go by the name Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, or even just Timothe Cabarrot, using his mother's maiden name) stands out as a NBA prospect not so much for what he is now, but more for what he can become in the future

Standing 6-7, he has long arms, big hands, a good frame, and excellent athletic ability. He's a versatile player who shows a nice framework of skills in virtually all facets of the games, be it with his ability to create off the dribble, find the open man, make shots from the perimeter, or defend a few different positions.

Luwawu's strong first step and ability to attack his man off the dribble with either hand, allows him to operate smoothly in transition or make plays in the half-court in a straight line. He shows flashes of being able to play at different speeds, but still isn't a strong enough ball-handler to fully take advantage of his athleticism and emerge as a more proficient shot-creator. He also could still stand to get stronger and improve his ability to finish around the basket in traffic, as he tends to shy away from contact at times, which is likely in part due to his youth and lack of experience.

Nevertheless, Luwawu has good court vision and is more than willing to make the extra pass and find the open man. He rarely overdribbles and shows a solid understanding of knowing how to make proper reads and contribute to his team's ball-movement.

Luwawu is a capable outside shooter, making just under one 3-pointer per game on average despite only playing 17 minutes on average. He has a compact, repeatable stroke with solid shooting mechanics, which suggests he has plenty of room to grow as a perimeter threat as his career moves on. He's making 78% of his free throw attempts on the season, which is a good sign. He can still stand to improve his balance and not dip the ball upon the catch as he tends to do at times, and isn't anywhere near as effective shooting off the dribble as he is with his feet set at the moment.

Luwawu's best skill at the moment, and possibly his most attractive NBA attribute long term, is the versatility he offers on defense. His combination of size, length and lateral quickness gives him the ability to guard up to four different positions at the Pro B level, and it's not difficult to see him developing into a big SG/SF type who can capably guard either wing position in the NBA and can occasionally be slotted onto guards as well. Luwawu has quick feet, great closeout speed, and very nice instincts jumping in the passing lanes, as he's shown averaging between 1.8-2 steals per-40 minutes in each of the last two seasons.

Luwawu hasalready indicatedhe will be putting his name in the 2015 NBA Draft, and his very small contract and buyout will likely make him an attractive option to teams looking to bring him to the NBA right away, or stash his rights in Europe for a couple of years.

In a draft that is looking stronger than many initially thought, there is a great deal of debate at the moment about which internationals should be considered the best prospects after the likes of Kristaps Porzingis and Mario Hezonja. Over the last 10 NBA Drafts, 47 international players (excluding those who attended US colleges) were drafted in the first round, or 4.7 per year on average, meaning there will likely be a few international players who will emerge as first round candidates for the 2015 Draft. The question is who. Luwawu is the first to throw his hat in the ring. There will surely be others.

Luwawu's framework of skills makes it easy to envision plugging him into a Danny Green, C.J. Miles or Thabo Sefolosha-esqe "3 and D" role in the NBA. A strong second half of the season will surely go a long way in fortifying his candidacy in this year's draft, as will an invite to the Nike Hoop Summit, which he is reportedly lobbying for behind the scenes. The fact that his team has secured a spot in the Finals of the French Leaders Cup Pro B (to be played prior before the Pro A French Cup in Disneyland Paris) should help his exposure as well

From DraftExpress.comhttp://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3oNQMvSox
http://www.draftexpress.com

Video:

https://youtu.be/76WEueT70Nk

http://www.draftexpress.com/article...aft-Scouting-Report-and-Video-Breakdown-5054/

Aleksandar Vezenkov SF/PF (HT: 6'9 - 225 lbs)

NBA Draft Scouting Report and Video Breakdown

June 5, 2015 Scouting Report by Jonathan Givony. Video Analysis by Mike Schmitz.

Aleksandar Vezenkovhas accomplished quite a bit at the international level, despite being only 19 years old. The son of Sasho Vezenkov, a Bulgarian national team player, coach (in Cyprus and Bulgaria) and basketball executive, he's been a fixture on the various Bulgarian national teams for years now, scoring 17 points per game on average at the U16, U18 and U20 European Championships, as well as for the senior national teamlast summer.

A one-time Xavier commit, Vezenkov's father's ties to Aris Thessaloniki in Greece led him to sign there in 2010, where he enrolled in an American international school (Pinewood) that nearly led him on the NCAA track. He eventually decided to stay with Aris, and has been one of their most important players the past few seasons, averaging 14 minutes per game as a 17-year old, 28 minutes last year, and now 32 minutes this season, leading the Greek League in scoring for the fourth ranked team in the competition, an extremely impressive feat.

At 6-9, 225 pounds, Vezenkov has decent size for the power forward position he mostly plays, even if he lacks athleticism in a serious way. He's not particularly quick, nor explosive, relying on his tremendous scoring instincts, basketball IQ and competitiveness to find productivity, rather than on his physical tools.

Vezenkov is one of the best scorers in European basketball, regardless of age, averaging an impressive 21.5 points per-40 minutes pace adjusted. What's impressive is how efficiently he does it, with a 58% TS% (54% 2P%, 38% 3P%, 78% FT%) and a minuscule 9% turnover rate. Only 10 players in our database (which goes back around 15 years) have accomplished that feat (21.5 points per-40+, 58%+ TS%) in a major European league at that age, five of whom were NBA first round picks, and all had a significantly higher turnover rate.

Vezenkov scores in a wide variety of ways at the Greek league level, but the one that looks the most likely to translate is his perimeter shooting ability. He has deep range on his jumper, with consistent lefty mechanics that aren't the most conventional, but certainly work for him.

With time and space, he dips the ball significantly on the catch, but can also get his shot off more quickly when he needs to. This ability to make jumpers in different ways is an indication of his instincts as a shooter, and a very good sign for his future.

Vezenkov shot nearly five 3-pointers per game this season, and made 38% of his overall attempts. His jumpers come in a variety of situations, be it as a spot-up shooter, in pick and pop situations, coming off screens, or attacking closeouts for pull-ups. His size helps him get his shot off over smaller defenders, and he's very crafty about using his body to create space. When a defender runs too quickly at him, he has great timing attacking the closeout and dribbling into open areas. He is not fast or quick by any means, but he uses his instincts and smarts to overcome that at the Greek league level.

Only around a third of Vezenkov's points and field goal attempts this season came from 3-pointers, as he does a significant amount of damage inside the arc as well. Even though he can barely jump over a phone book, he finds ways to score using floaters, runners, pull-ups and other “touch shots” in the paint over potential shot-blockers. He has all the tricks in the book here, speeding up, slowing down, shooting off one leg, using the glass, etc.

Vezenkov was utilized frequently in post-up situations, as he's such a great scorer that getting him the ball in any real proximity to the basket is a great idea, as he can often just throw the ball in. He makes tough fade-away and turnaround jumpers on the regular, and knows how to use subtle fakes, spins and pivots to create space for his jumper with a high release point. Perhaps most impressive is the way he pounds on opposing defenders with his body to back his man down and create additional room to operate, something that you rarely see 19-year olds do in a pro league. He's got great footwork, body control and touch, but is also very physical for someone his age.

Like most great scorers, Vezenkov finds ways to get easy baskets, whether it's running the floor in transition, or moving off the ball in the half-court. He doesn't run that fast, but has great instincts for knowing the exact moment in which to leak out ahead of the defense and secure the pass-ahead for a layup. He's not explosive by any means finishing around the rim, but has phenomenal touch using the glass and an advanced understanding of angles.

The same can be said for his prowess as a cutter. He's very active off the ball and will punish defenders who overplay him as a shooter on the perimeter. He also has a nose for the offensive glass, pulling down a very solid 2.3 caroms per-40 minutes.

While Vezenkov is a bucket-getter through and through, he's also not a bad passer. He's averaged a career 2.5 assists per-40 minutes playing for Aris, and turned the ball over on a miniscule 9% of his possessions this past season (11% career). That bodes well for his role-playing potential at higher levels, and shows that even though he has a huge scoring role on his team, he's not selfish, and certainly has a good feel for the game.

A major question mark is how Vezenkov's scoring prowess will translate to higher levels of competition, as he's a below average athlete by NBA standards, playing almost entirely below the rim. The Greek league, while still strong with domestic players, and generally at the top, is not what it used to be due to financial problems in the country as a whole. This is especially noticeable among frontcourt players, where there simply aren't that many legit big men with length, athleticism and real talent, which has certainly benefited Vezenkov. His 2P% against teams over .500 this season is 51%, compared to 58% against sub-500 teams, while his 3P% differential is even more glaring, 33% against 44%. He also gets to the free throw line less and rebounds substantially worse (7.7 per-40/10.4).

There is little question that longer, more athletic defenders hamper him in a serious way, as he already struggles to create his own shot against athletes due to his underwhelming first step, and poor leaping ability. It remains to be seen if he'll still be able to score in as many different ways as he does in Greece against better competition, or if he'll be relegated to more of a spot-up role.

While Vezenkov will almost certainly find ways to score regardless of the level of competition he ends up in, the biggest issue he'll likely run into is on the defensive end. He is a serious tweener here, as he lacks the height, strength and length to guard most big men, but is far too slow to stay in front of smaller players on the perimeter. Vezenkov puts a solid effort in here, with good toughness and physicality, but he often looks overwhelmed. His defensive stance is poor, upright and hunched over, and he gets beat off the dribble frequently. He struggles in post-up situations due to his lack of length and explosiveness, and has only blocked 40 shots in the 3651 minutes of action we have recorded for him, or one every 91 minutes.

Veznekov is currently competing in the Greek League playoffs, and won't be done until June 15th at the earliest when the series for third place concludes. That will make it nearly impossible for him to garner much feedback from NBA teams in private settings, and may force him to withdraw from the draft unless he's able to get a promise somewhere in the late first or early second round. If he does withdraw, it's likely that he'll move to a higher level of competition next season, possibly the ACB according to rumors. Some NBA team may decide they've seen enough from him this year, though, and could try to lure him to stay with a guarantee. He is a polarizing figure among talent evaluators, but he certainly has his fans as it's impossible to find scorers in his mold at 6-9, and stretch power forwards like him do often find a way to make it despite their limitations.

From DraftExpress.comhttp://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3oNSOVnSR
http://www.draftexpress.com

Video:

https://youtu.be/BebSog5nFUk

This guy probably has the best name so far

Alpha Kaba - PF/C (HT: 6'10 - 226 lbs)

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/alpha-kaba

Strengths:

Has a solid frame ... Extremely long limbs. 7-foot-5 wingspan ... His length gives him the ability to be a dominant force on the block ... Good mobility, gets out on the break and moves well ... Good athlete with explosive leaping ability ... Has a decent first step ... Has a soft touch and can even knock down 3 pointers ... Has good foot speed defensively, and shows nice defensive potential, particularly as a shot blocker ... Shows vision to see the floor and some natural passing ability, impressive for his position ... Can handle contact, and should only improve with added strength ...

Weaknesses:

Very inconsistent ... Needs to get in better physical shape and gain stamina ... Lacks a high level of experience, still plays in a junior, under-21 league ... Doesn't always play with enough intensity defensively ... Not aggressive enough in closing out and pressuring opponent shots ... From time to time too relaxed, especially in defense, Doesn't protect the rim as much as he could ... Can be too casual with his passing ... Back to the basket game is underdeveloped, needs to focus a lot of attention to this ... At times lacks a fundamental defensive stance, straight legs and up right posture ... Rebounds the ball solely based on physical attributes, must learn to properly box out ...

Video:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Alpha-Kaba-76960/

Juan Hernangomez will probably get picked up tonight, he was name the Spanish League's best young player and has some good potential as a stretch 4. Should go late 1st or early 2nd

http://upsidemotor.com/2016/05/12/scouting-report-juan-hernangomez/

International Scouting Report: Juan Hernangomez

by Trevor Magnotti

Juan Hernangomez has always been a basketball player, even at the ripe young age of 12, he has been playing competitive basketball in Spain on the youth teams of CB Las Rozas and Real Madrid. His last name is a familiar one in the basketball scene – His father, Guillermo Hernangomez Heredero, was a power forward for several ACB teams during the mid-to-late 1980s. Younger sister Andrea plays for the Estudiantes Junior team. And most notably, his brother has helped pave the way for Juan to get noticed – massive 6’10” Willy Hernangomez has been a solid backup for Real Madrid, and was the 35th pick of the 2015 NBA Draft, and could be headed to the New York Knicks in the next year or two.

It should be no surprise then that Juan has been on the NBA Draft radar for this season, and is climbing steadily up the board in advance of June. The younger Hernangomez has locked down the starting center position for much of the season at Estudiantes, averaging 9.6 points and 5.5 rebounds per game in ACB play. While he’s played mostly center Hernangomez is believed to have the skill set of an impactful stretch four at the NBA level, thanks to his mobility, size, and outside shooting ability. He’s been a consistent producer this season, despite playing on the second-worst team in the ACB, and he’s done so in ways that could set him up for NBA success. However, his size is a bit concerning, as he projects as a bit of a tweener between power forward and small forward. Let’s dive in and look at Hernangomez’s potential fit.

Offense

Hernangomez currently plays out of position in relation to what his NBA fit will be. At 6’9″, 220 pounds, “Juancho” almost has the body of a modern NBA small forward, but has spent a lot of time at center. This gives him a unique skill set that combines perimeter play with a mean streak down low.

The biggest draw to Juancho’s game is his outside shooting. He’s very comfortable off the catch, and Estudiantes likes to throw him on the perimeter around the pick-and-roll, because he moves well off the ball and sets himself very well in spot-up situations. Hernangomez has shot 35.8 percent from 3-point range this year, and his percentages should improve with the better spacing of the 3-point line. He has remarkably consistent lift and timing on his jumper, and while his release can be a bit wonky (he air-balls a lot of the threes that he misses), he should be able to have a little more success when he has better spacing.

Hernangomez should also be a decent pick-and-roll scorer, thanks to his mobility and shooting. He most commonly gets pick-and-pop looks when he is the screener, and he does a nice job of flaring to 18-feet or the 3-point line. He’s also not afraid to go off the dribble off of these situations, and he draws contact well off of dribble-drives, averaging 5.6 free throw attempts per 40 minutes, an exceptional rate for a guy who’s not a primary ball-handler. These drives against closeouts and pick-and-roll coverage hint at a good fit for Hernangomez as a spot-up option, as he can shoot, attack, or pass out of these looks with success.

Hernangomez’s status as a “big” in Spain has also given him a decent low post game, and he can function as an outlet finisher or offensive rebounder fairly well despite his size. Hernangomez uses his quickness and instincts well on the offensive glass to compensate for his lack of bulk, and he does a great job of crashing the boards from the perimeter and tapping out long rebounds. When he does roll to the rim, he’s good at filling space, and while he needs work on finishing when he meets a defender on the roll, he has good athleticism to get up and at least draw contact if he has a step on the defender.

Where Hernangomez needs work offensively is confidence and decision-making. Hernangomez is a decent passer when the passes are simple, as he’s good at hitting dump-off passes on drives and swinging the ball on the perimeter. But when he’s tasked with creating on the perimeter, Hernangomez makes some risky passes, and he doesn’t display great court vision. Juancho’s turnover rate isn’t awful (13.43 percent), but he could stand to cut down on them, both from a passing and dribbling perspective. Hernangomez’s handle needs improvement as well, and he is prone to losing the ball on drives if opponents dig down to cut off thr drive. These aspects of Hernangomez’s game will likely prevent him from ever being more than a role player at the NBA level. However, he has enough skills both on the perimeter and in the paint that should allow him to be a weapon in an NBA offense.

Defense

Hernangomez’s positional experience and size may make him a more enticing offensive prospect, but defensively he’s hurt by the fact that he has the size to defend threes in the NBA, but has spent most of his career defending down low. Hernangomez’s defensive potential is probably lower than a guy like Paul Zipser, who projects as a better defender despite similar size constraints. That’s because Hernangomez’s skill set more naturally projects him defending fours at the next level, which could be problematic.

Hernangomez’s biggest strengths are defensive rebounding and rim protection. He posted a very solid defensive rebounding rate of 22.7 percent this year, and much like on the offensive glass, Hernangomez has no fear of tangling with much bigger opponents inside. He’s extremely physical with his box outs, and has good footwork underneath, which should allow him to fit in the NBA as a power rebounder. More surprising though, is that Hernangomez is comfortable stopping shots at the rim. He uses his body well against drives, getting verticality and bothering shots even without getting his hands on them. He posted a block rate of just 1.3 percent this season, but his athleticism and strength allow him to compensate for a lack of reach, and he should be comfortable operating as over-the-top pick-and-roll help moving forward.

One the perimeter, Hernangomez does have a knack for making heady plays. He has good hands (steal rate: 2.0), and he plays passing lanes and digs down well when tasked with double-teaming. However, Hernangomez needs significant improvement here. He lacks the lateral quickness to really be able to contain drives against quicker guards, and his positioning in the pick-and-roll needs significant development. Hernangomez gets blown by when tasked with containing a pick-and-roll ball-handler, as he doesn’t do a good job of cutting off the lane and he’s upright and flat-footed in his stance as he hedges off the screen.

Hernangomez also gambles a lot on the defensive end, and it brings to question how strong his awareness is. You will see him make occasional good plays and be in great position, but he also will have plays where he loses an opponent on a backdoor cut, or hugs too tightly to his man and doesn’t provide adequate help. He also will try to do too much on occasion, trying to jump a passing lane from a bad position or swiping at the ball in the post and giving up position in the process.

Part of this could be a function of his team environment – after all, Hernangomez’s basketball IQ is strong overall, and he’s playing on a team that gives up a very bad (for Spain) 82.6 points per game and doesn’t offer much resistance overall defensively. For now, though, it appears that Hernangomez will need a lot of further development to become a competent perimeter defender, which could limit his early effectiveness as a player.

Overall Impression

Hernangomez has a decent skill set, and while he’s not quite ready to be an NBA player as of yet, there are tools here that could make him an intriguing stash option for a team picking in the late 1st or early 2nd round. If Hernangomez can add bulk or get better on the perimeter, it should allow him to more comfortably use his talents on the offensive end, where he has the makings of an Ersan Ilyasova-esque stretch four. The nice thing for Hernangomez is that he’s done with his Estudiantes deal after this season, meaning that he has the option to come to the NBA or D-League right away, or stay in Spain but move to a better situation for his development, much like his brother Willy did this past summer by moving to Real Madrid from Sevilla. Given a little bit more seasoning and time for his body to mature, Hernangomez should become NBA-ready, and could eventually be better than his older brother.

Video

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2srBdn_U5CU

Thon Maker is a name you might here, really really raw.

http://upsidemotor.com/2016/04/25/nba-draft-scouting-report-thon-maker/

NBA Draft Scouting Report: Thon Maker

by Rafael Uehara

Earlier in the month, YouTube legend Thon Maker opted to forgo his college career and declared for the NBA draft straight out of high school. After a few days of deliberation, the NBA ruled him eligible for the 2016 class once Maker successfully proved he is, in fact, a full year removed from graduating — doing so at Orangeville District Secondary School in 2015.

The decision surprised some, since Maker was said to be considering offers to join Arizona State, Kansas, Saint John’s, Indiana and Notre Dame. It was also met with skepticism because Maker was not particularly impressive in the last few events he attended in the United States.

Maybe that’s what makes it a good decision from a bottom line standpoint. The more chances people have to take a look at Maker, the sooner they realize he is not all that close to the revolutionary figure those highlight clips unfairly portrayed him to be years ago. Maker is probably better off trying to get in now and get some guaranteed money while he can rather than waiting for his flaws to get exposed even further and having no assurances he will be given a real chance.

PHYSICAL PROFILE
Maker will for sure get drafted thanks to his combination of size and athleticism. Even if he didn’t already have some status to him, those are appealing traits in any prospect. Standing at seven-foot-one with a seven-foot-three wingspan and a nine-foot-five standing reach, Maker has prototypical height and length for a center.

But what really impresses are his light feet. He can run up and down the court fluidly, has lateral agility and the ability to elevate out of two feet to protect the front of the rim, quickness to rotate off the weak-side to block shots in help defense, can play above the rim as a target for lobs in transition and has ‘second-jump-ability’ to fight for tipped balls and reach them at a higher point than his competition in the offensive glass.

If he were to log NBA minutes sooner rather the later, the one aspect Maker can reasonably be expected to contribute immediately is via his energy; making plays at the basket on both ends and covering more ground on defense than people his size are usually expected to.

Maker has even flashed the ability to pick up smaller players on switches and guard in the perimeter from time to time. When Prolific Prep visited Canada, it tried to draw him outside the lane with Abu Kigab — a six-foot-seven combo forward. Maker proved able to bend his knees to get in a stance and keep pace well enough in isolation for his length to create fear at the rim. That was also the case when he had to closeout to Orangeville’s shooters and defend their straight line drives in the Ontario Scholastic Basketball Association Finals.

The thing is, though: for a guy looking to join the highest level of professional basketball as soon as this calendar year, Maker did not dominate the OSBA as much as you’d expect him to from an athletic standpoint, especially considering he is already 19.

Part of the reason why is his lack of strength at this point of his development. Maker has improved his physique a lot since transferring to Canada, weighing at 225 pounds at the Biosteel All-Canadian Game after doing so at 194 pounds at LeBron James Camp three years ago. But he still struggles to play with the sort of force and power his position typically requires.

Orangeville’s Khalif Young and Dantai Saint Louis, four and five inches shorter but visibly tougher, successfully kept Maker from getting deep seals in the low post, constantly pushing him further and further out to the elbow. He typically had no success backing them down through power moves due to his weak base

The Athlete Institute’s coach had Maker setting high ball screens and then rolling into post position to get him closer to the basket but he got consistently well walled off on those too, though he did well enough hitting hooks over them thanks to his length advantage.

But perhaps more striking was how six-foot-eight, 198-pound Josh Jackson successfully fronted him in the post and boxed him under the glass in the second half against Prolific Prep — a game where the Athlete Institute led by as many as 21 late in the first half but eventually lost after Jackson moved to center on defense and completely annulled Maker late in the second.

That weak base and general lack of physicality makes you wonder if Maker is going to be able to grab a defensive rebound against grown men in six months, especially considering he is hit and miss with his attention to his box-out responsibilities and often allows the opponent inside position.

They also affect his ability to finish in traffic, as he is noticeably less explosive in a crowd than in the open floor, and his ability to maintain his balance through contact, which limits how much he can actually do off the dribble.

SKILL LEVEL
Maker has a decent handle for a guy his size when he is not challenged but he is not by any means an asset to create from the perimeter at this point of his development, lacking the sort of coordination needed to go side-to-side in a pinch, and the Athlete Institute did not even entertain using him that way against Prolific Prep and in the OSBA Finals.

The times Maker created his own shot from the perimeter were when he hadn’t touched the ball in a while because AI didn’t play pick-and-roll a whole lot and he often struggled establishing deep post position as mentioned above, so he grabbed a defensive rebound, walked the ball up the floor and jacked a 23-foot three-pointer. That happened every now and again.

Maker loves taking three-point shots, by the way. Life is just something to be endured between opportunities to take the next 23-foot jumper. And his shot selection is terrible, often taking contested deep bombs out of scrambles with plenty of time in the shot clock. He’s capable of hitting those walk-in threes in rhythm but not any good at it when actually defended — lacking the coordination needed to step back and pull-up from range in balance when his momentum is contained.

But Maker has developed into a pretty decent shooter spotting-up on the weak-side. His release is quicker than it was last year and his catch-and-shoot jumper looks very smooth out of ball reversals. He has not been given any chances to come off screens or work out of the pick-and-roll to showcase his shooting on the move.

Out of a standstill position, Maker elevates with pretty good balance and fully extends himself, which makes it borderline impossible to contest his shot effectively due to his length. He sets a decent base with his feet and knees well-spaced, dips for rhythm, his mechanics look clean enough up top and his touch looks good.

Oddly enough Maker hasn’t relied much in his face-up jumper out of the post lately, though. Against Prolific Prep and Orangeville, he went to turnaround hooks at all times. He has nice touch on his right hand finishes but his left is weak and his footwork is clumsy when the opponent gets physical with him.

Maker did not have many opportunities to pass out of double teams because Orangeville and Prolific didn’t throw any at him, since even in high school he’s not much feared as a post scorer. AI also didn’t put Maker in the high post at all, despite the fact he showed some ability to operate from there with his AAU team at the Fab 48 last year. So it’s unclear if he’s made any improvements to his passing.

UPSIDE
Maker’s upside is as a center who can protect the rim in help-defense while also able to switch and guard less threatening matchups in the perimeter, then can be a constant threat to play above the rim as a target for lobs and generate second chances with his leaping ability while also able to spot up from three-point range often on offense.

For that to materialize, Maker needs to improve his strength so that he is not extremely vulnerable defending the post and the glass. He also needs to prove he can pick up defensive principles in the pros, which he was not tested on in high school or even in these camps and events because no team of teenagers can challenge the opposing center to think on the go the way even the weakest NBA teams can on a nightly basis.

Offensively, Maker will need to prove he can catch the ball in traffic and that he has touch on non-dunk finishes so that he can be a threat diving down the lane in pick-and-roll, which the Athlete Institute didn’t have him do much. That’s something he has struggled with in the past.

As far as shooting and offensive rebounding, I actually think these are two aspects he could be able to make a small contribution right away. Maker is no Ryan Anderson or anything but his catch-and-shoot shot looks good enough right now that he could possibly fill a small role as an open-shot shooter, depending on the looks that are created for him.

RISK
The biggest risk associated to Maker regards him not getting any stronger, which would make him vulnerable to being constantly overmatched on defense and probably take off the table him becoming a center full time.

But even as a second big, there are challenges to overcome. Maker’s coordination issue could also keep him from materializing his potential picking up smaller players on switches. At that point, he probably wouldn’t be any sort of asset on defense other than picking up the occasional block shot due to positioning.

On offense, the size of his hands could prevent him from ever becoming able to catch the ball on the move well enough to be put in the pick-and-roll. Maker would then develop into a guy who is limited to contributing to a half-court offense only as a standstill weak-side threat at best.

Video Strengths

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PREYPhruOCA

Video Weaknesses

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60BdrbtEBPg

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."