• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Football/Basketball Powerhouses

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Boobie" Gibson

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Heartbroken after that game and reading people trying to hate on Ohio State for losing in the Final Four... I got to thinking. Seriously, which Universities are traditionally and consistently as good in both football and basketball as Ohio State? To go a step further, which of these Universities, if any, are also as good academically as Ohio State?

I really can't think of ONE... so if you guys have any, please, let me know.

People are "hating" on OSU because they keep getting knocked out the same way they always do under Matta. Foul trouble or a poor performance from a key player absolutely kills them because Matta never develops his bench. This time it was both. They have no room for error. He's also not a good in-game coach, he just usually has superior talent so of course he's going to win games.

Lol none of these are to my point or what I am looking for.

Florida has been recently solid in both but not over the years.

It isn't choking. They aren't the best team and they don't win championships all the time. Only 1 team can win it all.

Comment 3 - see above.

Which coach exactly uses a 'developed' bench to win tight games in the final four??? Ridiculous. Your best players need to show up in big games to win championships. Period. We made it pretty damn far for a team that has an extremely shaky perimeter shooting attack. We couldn't hit outside shots, couldn't work inside out, and a key component of our offense missed most of the second half with foul trouble. We were lucky to have a shot to win this in the end. We lost. Move on, and leave Matta alone - were fortunate to have him.

Lol none of these are to my point or what I am looking for.

Florida has been recently solid in both but not over the years.

It isn't choking. They aren't the best team and they don't win championships all the time. Only 1 team can win it all.

Comment 3 - see above.

OSU definitely choked. They also choked last season also.

OSU definitely choked. They also choked last season also.

LOL just stop. They had a sizable lead coming out in to the 2nd half, and Kansas came out strong. From there on it was a dog fight. There was no choke about it. I didn't even think they could get to the Final Four this year... so if anything, they largely overachieved.

Which coach exactly uses a 'developed' bench to win tight games in the final four??? Ridiculous. Your best players need to show up in big games to win championships. Period. We made it pretty damn far for a team that has an extremely shaky perimeter shooting attack. We couldn't hit outside shots, couldn't work inside out, and a key component of our offense missed most of the second half with foul trouble. We were lucky to have a shot to win this in the end. We lost. Move on, and leave Matta alone - were fortunate to have him.

Yea, you saw that overflow of talent on that Kansas bench right? Clearly that's what won them the game.

EDIT: Just to be clear, Kansas' bench scored 3 points. Unless you have NBA players sitting on that bench, none of these teams that get this far normally do it by playing 10 guys.

People are "hating" on OSU because they keep getting knocked out the same way they always do under Matta. Foul trouble or a poor performance from a key player absolutely kills them because Matta never develops his bench. This time it was both. They have no room for error. He's also not a good in-game coach, he just usually has superior talent so of course he's going to win games.

Agree 100%. Incredible recruiter, so-so in-game coach (he's not alone in that either, many other "big name" coaches are the same way)

I don't know about historically but as much as I hate to admit it, Florida would have to be the clear #1 in recent years. Back-to-back National Champions in basketball in 2006 and 2007, Sweet Sixteen the last two years...National Champions in both 2006 and 2008 in football. You could make the case for Ohio State at #2 though.

Others that would be up there: Michigan State, Wisconsin, Texas, West Virginia, Michigan, Oklahoma, maybe even Baylor.

I don't know about historically but as much as I hate to admit it, Florida would have to be the clear #1 in recent years. Back-to-back National Champions in basketball in 2006 and 2007, Sweet Sixteen the last two years...National Champions in both 2006 and 2008 in football. You could make the case for Ohio State at #2 though.

Others that would be up there: Michigan State, Wisconsin, Texas, West Virginia, Michigan, Oklahoma, maybe even Baylor.

Fla. was elite 8 the last two years.

Florida was really the only team I could think of... and possibly Michigan.

But HISTORICALLY (which doesn't matter as much, because I never fucking saw it lol) Florida isn't much to speak of. Michigan is better than Florida, but I still don't think as good as OSU.

Didn't choke? You're kidding right? We had the lead with a minute left.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."