• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Giannis Adetokoubo: 18 year old freak of nature

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
[video=youtube;km632hL-XCo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=&v=km632hL-XCo#![/video]

http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2R85jIoBt

Adetokunbo stands out first and foremost thanks to the tremendous physical profile he brings to the table, reminding somewhat of aNicolas BatumorThabo Sefoloshaon first glance. He has great size at 6-9, 196 pounds, to go along with a developed upper body and an overall terrific frame that should fill out considerably in time. His wingspan has reportedly been measured at 7-3, but perhaps most interesting is the size of his hands, as he's able to palm the ball like a grapefruit which helps him out considerably as a passer, ball-handler and finisher.

Exceptionally smooth and fluid, Adetokunbo still hasn't reached his full potential as an athlete, which makes sense if you consider he turned 18 three months ago and has grown 8 cm (a little over three inches) in the past ten months—and still might not be done growing. He's still working on his balance on the defensive end, and isn't an incredibly explosive leaper—something that could change as his lower body strength improves.

It's popular to say that a prospect--particularly an obscure one-- “plays every position on the floor,” but in the game we watched in Greece, that was indeed the case. The competition level, as you can see in the video scouting report above, is indeed nothing to write home about, but it's difficult not to be taken aback by the incredibly versatile skill-set Adetokunbo brings to the table at 6-9.

The tallest player on his team, Adetokunbo started the game off at the power forward position, but played on the perimeter almost exclusively. Similar to the wayKyle Andersonis used at UCLA, he initiates a lot of his team's offense in the half-court and regularly rebounds the ball and takes it coast to coast, showing fantastic body control. He's an extremely smooth ball-handler and a surprisingly adept passer, looking extremely unselfish and very focused on getting his teammates involved. He's capable of driving left or right and reads defenses far better than you'd expect considering his age and size, as he shows great sparks of creativity and smarts that make it easy to envision him developing into a point forward type as his career progresses.

Adetokunbo's long strides and great length allow him to finish his moves in a variety of ways around the basket. He's largely right-hand dependent, though, and will need to continue to improve his strength and explosiveness to finish over the top of better defenses than he's facing at the moment.

Adetokunbo's perimeter shooting ability is not as refined as his passing and ball-handling skills. While his shooting mechanics are relatively consistent, and he's capable of making shots with both his feet set and off the dribble, he sports a low release point and is not a knock down shooter when left open. He's making 34% of his 3-pointers on the season in A2 thus far and 70% of his free throw attempts, so there's definitely something to build off here.

Defensively is where Adetokunbo might have the best potential considering the superior size and length he brings to the table at his position—likely small forward. He's not very consistent in this area yet, as he lacks significant experience, is not physical enough keeping a body on opponents and fighting through screens, and plays too upright on the perimeter. The instincts he displays here are very intriguing though, as he shows good anticipation on the defensive glass and is capable of making his presence felt in the passing lanes and as a shot-blocker.

The biggest thing holding Adetokunbo back at the moment is his lack of experience. He's a late bloomer who did not have the benefit of growing up playing against other top international talents his age in the various FIBA competitions over the years. Similar to many young prospects still growing into their frames, he's not incredibly physical at the moment, and is not immune from showing questionable decision making in the half-court. He is at times so focused on getting his teammates involved that he can be appear to lack somewhat of a killer instinct, and his average perimeter shooting ability and defensive prowess could surely become more of an issue against higher level competition if he does not improve in these areas.

Additionally, there are some question marks about his true position and ideal role on the floor against senior players. While the concept of a 6-9 point guard sounds great in theory, there are very few teams and coaches that actually play that way, which means he will have to continue to improve his ability to operate off the ball as well.

Doubt he plays at the NBA level next year.... but he has some very exciting tools! Would love to take a very close look at 19!

I think SF is his future position. Will have to spend countless hours in the gym and weight room. He needs to play vs higher competition before he plays in the NBA.
I wonder if Canton is a strong enough level to stash him for a year.

Last edited:
I really wonder what happens when he gets some real coaching with regard to his shot mechanics. With his feel for the game, and at his age, I'm tempted to say that he could really become a long-range threat with better mechanics (keep in mind that the 3 point line is just over 22 feet in FIBA play, significantly closer to NBA range than the 20'9" line in college ball). And at that point you have a guy who's eerily similar to a young Kevin Durant. I mean, I hesitate to say he has Durant-like potential, but when I ask myself why not I can't come up with a good answer. Ok, I'll say it, he has Durant-like potential.

EDIT: To clarify for those who didn't watch the video, he shot 34% from 3 and 70% from the line, shooting with pretty poor form in both cases.

I really wonder what happens when he gets some real coaching with regard to his shot mechanics. With his feel for the game, and at his age, I'm tempted to say that he could really become a long-range threat with better mechanics (keep in mind that the 3 point line is just over 22 feet in FIBA play, significantly closer to NBA range than the 20'9" line in college ball). And at that point you have a guy who's eerily similar to a young Kevin Durant. I mean, I hesitate to say he has Durant-like potential, but when I ask myself why not I can't come up with a good answer. Ok, I'll say it, he has Durant-like potential.

EDIT: To clarify for those who didn't watch the video, he shot 34% from 3 and 70% from the line, shooting with pretty poor form in both cases.

I dont think the Durant comparison is fair or a good one. Durant was always very skilled and played way above his age by the time he entered college. He has always been a pure scorer. This guy has great physical tools (has yet to play vs any real competition), and I doubt he reaches the Durant level of a ceiling. I would say a more athletic longer and explosive Batum. He should not play in the NBA for a year or so, no way he is ready to make that jump in competition.

Would draft him in a heartbeat, just on the idea that his measurable and athleticism would allow him to be an elite defender. If he balks up, gets better coaching on his shot, why can't he be a Batum-esq guy? Maybe even better.

Those hands are absurd...

1361903020.jpg

I like the idea of this kid. He is a high risk prospect and I think the cavs need to draft a high risk/high reward guy at some point in this rebuild. I would prefer Saric over him if they are both available though.

His brother, Thanasis, is even more athletic and explosive. He is a 6'7 SF, 20 years old. But Giannis is the better prospect. Also, i think he's not ready for the NBA level yet.. He needs 1-2 years for sure.

[video=youtube;Egax6uSopnE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egax6uSopnE[/video]

He may not be as explosive as Eyenga, but he's better in every other way, why do you make that comparison?

Well, no knows how good or bad he is. Adetokoubo is playing at about the same level as Eyenga when he was drafted. I think a good middle school CYO team could beat some of those 4th Division Greek teams.....

3 guys I really like in this draft are Dieng, Giannis and Nogueira. These guys may take a few years to develop but after a couple of years wow. Some mocks show them all being drafted in the teens and some show Giannis and Nogueria being drafted late 1st or early 2nd. I know I'm in the minority but I would be happy if we could get all three and call it a draft. That is if Noel and Porter are gone and we end up with the 5th pick. I would trade the pick and move down.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."