• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Going back to school

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BMAN

All-Star
Reaction score
So I’m 26 and I’ve been working at a bigger company in Ohio for the past 4 years working in one of their warehouses. Pay is ok and it’s easy, but I just don’t want to do this for the rest of my career.

A couple days ago I finally started to realize what I would want to do. I’ve decided on majoring in computer science since that stuff has always interested me. My company pays up to $5500 a year for reimbursement and computer science falls under one of the degrees they would pay for. There’s also job openings for that line of work.

Would this be a good idea or would I be making a mistake? I’ve been hesitant to go back to school, but finally feel like I should pull the trigger. I’m not getting any younger and don’t have kids yet.

I went back at 25 to get a teaching degree because I knew I didn't want to keep doing what I was doing. It was the best thing I ever did. Found my passion.

If you're not happy doing what you're doing, do something else. If that's computer science, great, sounds like you're legitimately interested in that.

Just don't limit yourself to what the company will pay for.

So I’m 26 and I’ve been working at a bigger company in Ohio for the past 4 years working in one of their warehouses. Pay is ok and it’s easy, but I just don’t want to do this for the rest of my career.

A couple days ago I finally started to realize what I would want to do. I’ve decided on majoring in computer science since that stuff has always interested me. My company pays up to $5500 a year for reimbursement and computer science falls under one of the degrees they would pay for. There’s also job openings for that line of work.

Would this be a good idea or would I be making a mistake? I’ve been hesitant to go back to school, but finally feel like I should pull the trigger. I’m not getting any younger and don’t have kids yet.
Usually, lack of time and money is what prohibits people from going back to school to start a new career. Sounds like you have enough of both right now, so this sounds like the ideal time.

DO IT!!!

In 2015 I was in an OK job...not good, not bad...but I knew I probably was not going to retire there either. I found a part time MBA program that would literally take 3 yrs. It seemed like it would take forever...

Fast forward to 2018, and I'm about to graduate, and got a new job and a promotion in the process. What seemed daunting, in a blink of an eye, 3 years passed just like that and now I could not be happier with my decision.

DO IT!!!

tenor.png

Good call. I would go back to school but already owing $20,000 still from my tenure at Ohio State, doesn't make it easy. Just can't really afford to do so. If I ever do it'll be for an MBA or something.

Good luck, if you have the financial means absolutely do it.

I was going to go back to school until I realized I did not want to take over my Dad's multi billion dollar hotel company.

So I just banged a teacher instead.

(PS, the is zero reason for you not to go back to school in your situation)

I went back at 25 to get a teaching degree because I knew I didn't want to keep doing what I was doing. It was the best thing I ever did. Found my passion.

If you're not happy doing what you're doing, do something else. If that's computer science, great, sounds like you're legitimately interested in that.

Just don't limit yourself to what the company will pay for.
I honestly thought of doing it before I checked to see what the company could do for me. Appreciate the advice!

Last edited:

iLOxwzI.gif

Honestly, it is a long life and if you have the means to mold it into exactly what you want it to be without compromise do it. No regrets.

Also, you'll meet a bunch of undergrad coeds. They like guys in their mid-20s. Think of your penis, please.

Literally had a co-worker do it a year ago and he’s 41 I believe now...He’s loving it.. Easy decision... DO IT !!!

iLOxwzI.gif

Honestly, it is a long life and if you have the means to mold it into exactly what you want it to be without compromise do it. No regrets.

Also, you'll meet a bunch of undergrad coeds. They like guys in their mid-20s. Think of your penis, please.
Haha I don’t think my girlfriend would like that

Any update on this?

Didnt want to make a new thread but I’m looking at going for my MBA next year. Just struggling to find anything really good and after bungling my Bachelors I feel like an MBA may help me set myself apart and advance further once I do find a career.

Anyone got experience in such matters?

Maybe I should’ve made a thread

If you’re willing to risk failing at something you don’t want to do then you absolutely should gamble on something you know you might love doing.

Bet on yourself and don’t think twice.

Any update on this?

Didnt want to make a new thread but I’m looking at going for my MBA next year. Just struggling to find anything really good and after bungling my Bachelors I feel like an MBA may help me set myself apart and advance further once I do find a career.

Anyone got experience in such matters?

Maybe I should’ve made a thread

I don't have any first hand experience with it but I've thought about going back and getting an MBA at some point so I always like to heard the experience of friends and friends of friends that went on to get an MBA.

What I've learned its really about the specific industry you are in and/or you want to get into. If you want to get a new job in the same industry, it might set you apart but it can hurt you in other industries or companies. You really need to talk to people who have done it in the job you want to do.

The finance guys that have done it, most ended up regretting doing it. They could have kept grinding and working their way up in those two year for an equally or better pay off. Most of the finance guys I know who did it went to top 10-15 MBA programs too.

I also know a couple people who went to do it as a change of career and it helped them out with getting a new job. Top 25 or even Top 50 schools are about making connections and using them to leverage a new job. I've always been told that a top 25 school is usual what you should aim for and you need to do your research on what companies partner with top 50 school. Like Case Western reserve was a top 50 school but they don't get alot of big companies to partner with them.

I also had a friend who went and did his MBA in accounting so he could get his CPA. I think getting the CPA helped him get a good job with his previous experience. He went to some regional school for his MBA and I don't think it seem to help him actually get the job but it didn't hurt. He didn't make any good connection thru the school.

I also had a friend get an MBA from an online school and he was in pharma sales. At the end of the day I think it actually hurt him. He did it for the pay raise because he was a regional sale manager and the company gave raises for degrees. I think the pay level made it hard for him to get other jobs because other pharma companies had similar pay strutures and it would set him apart in a bad way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zog

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."