• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Greg Oden will never be a bust in my eyes

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kizzle

All-Star
Reaction score
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/greg-oden-ill-remembered-biggest-bust-nba-history/story?id=43469898

Yeah the world may call him a bust but imo a bust is a guy who gets the chance to play and plays and just sucks. Oden is an INJURY bust. But when he did see the court he could play very good in the post. Hard to play D when you can barely switch direction because of your knees, but healthy Oden is the type of player who probably delays this small ball trend a couple more years. He was THAT good. Bynum as well.

I miss my 90s throwback centers. Hope that playstyle comes back into the NBA someday. When those bigs come back I bet they'll be revolutionary like these new PGs. Their probably gonna have post moves, and shoot the 3, and be fast enough to switch pick and rolls.

Imagine if the league just took in 6-8 Anthony Davis clones. OMG

A lot of people say this 3pt trend is great for the NBA and fun to watch.....How is it fun to watch when only 2 teams have the collection of 3 point shooters needed to actually consistently win doing it? Yeah Cavs are in that 2 but I'm not gonna act like I haven't been annoyed by our offense at times

IMO Injury risk is one of the risks that must be considered when valuing different players.

I get your point that Oden could've been great if he stayed healthy, but the fact remains that the Blazers took Greg Oden over Kevin Durant. And that was a franchise changing mistake

I sure hope he doesn't bust in your eyes...

Joking aside, he looked like he had a lot of potential during the draft process...but just fell apart, no pun attended. It's sad to see a player having to go through the rough shit like that and the psychological damage it does to a person.

Reactions: Lee
Anthony Bennett is the worst bust over Oden IMO because Oden showed he could play, he just couldn't stay on the court. Injury bust and guys who sucks bust are different IMO

If AB turns it around, which i doubt, it would be Michael Olowokandi to me all time biggest bust.

Oden is up there, but more in the Ralph Sampson or Sam Bowie discussion, ie injured big men. On a side note, Ralph had the skills to be an all time great, he was so amazing in college.

IMO Injury risk is one of the risks that must be considered when valuing different players.

I get your point that Oden could've been great if he stayed healthy, but the fact remains that the Blazers took Greg Oden over Kevin Durant. And that was a franchise changing mistake

Well it is the Blazers and they did take Sam Bowie over Jordan.

They're accustomed to these kind of mistakes.

I also think they're happy with what all transpired since they have a legit scoring playmaker and Durant left to GS.

Oden was apart of getting us to a championship game with a screwed up wrist. Bennett is my biggest bust. He's healthy and is hopping from team to team and shouldn't even be in the league.

When you are breaking into the NBA in your mid-40s then the injury issues are to be expected.

He's not a bust at all.

He was very good when he played. When injuries derail your career and you're a guy who played well when healthy, you're not a bust. You're just a guy who had shitty luck.

Busts are guys who fail due to lack of effort or just plain sucking. Usually a lot of hype is involved as well. There's often a multiplier of elite talents being taken immediately after you.

Anthony Bennett is a bust. Olowokandi is a bust. Adam Morrison is a huge bust. Darko was a bust.

Guys like that. There was no excuse for any of them to fail.

He's not a bust at all.

He was very good when he played. When injuries derail your career and you're a guy who played well when healthy, you're not a bust. You're just a guy who had shitty luck.

Busts are guys who fail due to lack of effort or just plain sucking. Usually a lot of hype is involved as well. There's often a multiplier of elite talents being taken immediately after you.

Anthony Bennett is a bust. Olowokandi is a bust. Adam Morrison is a huge bust. Darko was a bust.

Guys like that. There was no excuse for any of them to fail.
Oden also had amazing footwork, even for an NBA big. He showed the same flashes Embiid is showing now when he played for Portland. Oden is definitely not a bust because of talent. He had a few bad injuries and there went his career, sad, but life moves on.

If AB turns it around, which i doubt, it would be Michael Olowokandi to me all time biggest bust.

Oden is up there, but more in the Ralph Sampson or Sam Bowie discussion, ie injured big men. On a side note, Ralph had the skills to be an all time great, he was so amazing in college.

Didn't the Candy Man have a couple of good games. Anthony Bennett has a preseason game against Orlando where he hit some threes?

Well it is the Blazers and they did take Sam Bowie over Jordan.

They're accustomed to these kind of mistakes.

I also think they're happy with what all transpired since they have a legit scoring playmaker and Durant left to GS.

Oden was apart of getting us to a championship game with a screwed up wrist. Bennett is my biggest bust. He's healthy and is hopping from team to team and shouldn't even be in the league.

Jordan went third, but history isnt always kind in rewind.

Hakeem went first, many know that, and Houston takes him first overall again. Reality is he is a great citizen and represents Houston as well as any athlete has represented any city. Plus he won them two championships and was a local college hero. (first championship he was the only all star player, as Drexler came over for the 2nd championship, not even Jordan cant even claim that)

As for Portland, most forget they had Drexler already. Drexler is arguably a top 5 sg in his own, and Bowie had the potential to be an absolute beast, he just got injured. I will say Bowie was a huge risk as he was also injured in college, but when looking at it from their standpoint, was not as stupid of a decision as you might think.

Didn't the Candy Man have a couple of good games. Anthony Bennett has a preseason game against Orlando where he hit some threes?

IF AB doesnt work out.....yes Bennett is on pace to be the worst ever, thing is, he is only 23 and could turn it around....although i do doubt he will.

Oden looked like he was going to be better than prime Dwight Howard. Shame he had the injury problems he had.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."