• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Help Choosing a New Router

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Hey all. I upgraded my Internet speed today from 15/5 Mbps to 30/5 Mbps. However, my current router only supports up to 15/5. Does anyone have any good but cost-efficient suggestions?

Hey all. I upgraded my Internet speed today from 15/5 Mbps to 30/5 Mbps. However, my current router only supports up to 15/5. Does anyone have any good but cost-efficient suggestions?

What kind of router only supports a 15Mbps connection? Are you meaning to refer to your Wi-Fi protocol? Like, are you running an 802.11a/b or g connection?

If you're going to upgrade to 802.11n just make sure your other devices support the standard.

I'm not a router guru by any means, but there are a lot of choices and knowing what your needs are will help you determine one to buy. When I needed one, I researched tech review sites to get some opinions from them on performance.

Do you have a large house? Small house? Apartment? You can spend a lot of money on a router that may make sense if your situation calls for it (large house and you only want one router, so go with one with a ton of range), but if you are just looking to cover a small space, something cheap probably works.

Maybe I was given incorrect information about the current router.

Here's my current router.

We live in a small home and keep the modem/router in our basement, which is directly below the living room we're in the majority of the time.

Maybe I was given incorrect information about the current router.

Here's my current router.

We live in a small home and keep the modem/router in our basement, which is directly below the living room we're in the majority of the time.

Thats not a router, that's a cable modem.

You're better than this @sgm405 .

The RCF nerds are salivating to help...

Belkins aren't usually the greatest. Tend to get have pretty bad range, and on most of their dual bands, the 5 ghz spectrum might as well be unusable because of packet loss.

Rock an Asus RT-AC66R. Not a top of the line, but only a couple steps down. I bought it primarily so I could utilize the Dual WAN feature and load balancing between my cable modem and my LTE connection. Now I just use the LTE aspect and it functions well. Running about 9-10 devices at a time without much problem.

You didn't say who your cable provider was. that impacts what cable modems are available to you.

If you get a modem with 1gb ports and N or Higher Wireless then it will most likely support 100 MB speeds.If you upgrade later
1GB ports
Wireless N or AC
5GHZ Media dual band

This will allow you to upgrade if you need to and ensure your only bottleneck is your Internet speed.

If Your gonna buycable modem you thing that will last you 4 or 5 years.

Last edited:
You didn't say who your cable provider was. that impacts what cable modems are available to you.

If you get a modem with 1gb ports and N or Higher Wireless then it will most likely support 100 MB speeds.If you upgrade later
1GB ports
Wireless N or AC
5GHZ Media dual band

This will allow you to upgrade if you need to and ensure your only bottleneck is your Internet speed.

If Your gonna buycable modem you thing that will last you 4 or 5 years.

Time Warner

I appreciate the help everyone!

Tornicade, I want to slap you for recommending a modem/router combo. There is not a modem/router combo out there that isn't junk in some aspect. Surfboard combos have shitty router aspects. The netgear combos have garbage modems.

Never buy multi function devices like that. Stick to purchasing a modem and router separately. You'll get better functionality and far more cost effective.

For TWC, I recommend just buying a SB6141 and the router of your choice.

Tornicade, I want to slap you for recommending a modem/router combo. There is not a modem/router combo out there that isn't junk in some aspect. Surfboard combos have shitty router aspects. The netgear combos have garbage modems.

Never buy multi function devices like that. Stick to purchasing a modem and router separately. You'll get better functionality and far more cost effective.

For TWC, I recommend just buying a SB6141 and the router of your choice.

+1

Don't buy modem/router combos.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."