• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

How did we lose? An argument for no big changes.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TitleTown

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
There are plenty of threads for making big sweeping changes to this team. I want to offer a thread for discussing an alternative perspective. This thread is for discussing how we fix our team without moving any of our big 3.

We had no problem staying with the Warriors offensively. The problem was getting consistent stops when we needed them and our transition defense.

We were two minutes away from tying the series at 2-2. If we had build our team with defensive players to balance out our offense, would that have brought us even closer? What could we do to not make big moves, and still improve the team? How would having our team set before training camp, and working on defense all season potentially change things for this team?

I don't think the sky is falling. I think we have a good team and a good coach. This tread is for brainstorming how we improve without making big changes.

We'd need a year long commitment to playing high level defense. This team had too many bad habits built up from the regular season. Not getting back in transition, not running through screens not contesting. At one point in the season we had the worst transition defense of the last 10 years, you can't just flip a switch against the best transition team.

Adding cheap guys like PJ tucker and tony Allen would help the defense and hopefully help the culture of the defense.

We'd need a year long commitment to playing high level defense. This team had too many bad habits built up from the regular season. Not getting back in transition, not running through screens not contesting. At one point in the season we had the worst transition defense of the last 10 years, you can't just flip a switch against the best transition team.

Adding cheap guys like PJ tucker and tony Allen would help the defense and hopefully help the culture of the defense.

We've seen Love consistently improve on defense. If we added defensive minded players, how could that also inspire Irving to commit to defense? If we make it the marching song of our team for 2017-2018, then I think we'll be much closer to the Warriors then we looked this year.

Defense is work and mindset as much as it is talent and athleticism. Hopefully Lue makes this a point from day 1.

Find a way to add a legit rim protector to put into our starting lineup. It would be awesome if we could somehow add DeAndre Jordan, but that would be tough. I think going forward, TT would be better off coming off the bench, it would automatically improve our big man depth, plus it would keep him a little fresher, looked like this year it took a toll on him as a center, a lot like when Andy was our 5 for a few seasons.

We need to add at least one more wing player that can be effective on both sides of the floor. I'd resign Korver obviously, and either hope Shumpert can make a big leap on both ends or we try and add a guy like Danny Green or someone similar.

Getting rid of chill mode would help as well. I get resting players, but we have to use the regular season as a way to make improvements year round, not once April hits, especially defensively.

We have the worst bench in the league and an overrated coach. Get Lue or someone else to install an actual defense and force these guys to play it. Get some younger guys that play defense and can make an open shot. Get a big that can block shots at the rim. Get a point guard that will actually pass the ball and run offense when LeBron isn't on the floor. Get Shumpert out of here. Use any or all of Thompson, Shumpert, Frye, Jefferson, whoever is left under contract other than the big 3 to get it done. And Osman too.

Find a way to add a legit rim protector to put into our starting lineup. It would be awesome if we could somehow add DeAndre Jordan, but that would be tough. I think going forward, TT would be better off coming off the bench, it would automatically improve our big man depth, plus it would keep him a little fresher, looked like this year it took a toll on him as a center, a lot like when Andy was our 5 for a few seasons.

We need to add at least one more wing player that can be effective on both sides of the floor. I'd resign Korver obviously, and either hope Shumpert can make a big leap on both ends or we try and add a guy like Danny Green or someone similar.

Getting rid of chill mode would help as well. I get resting players, but we have to use the regular season as a way to make improvements year round, not once April hits, especially defensively.

This is why I think TT is our best trade chip. I'd love to flip him for someone who provides more rim protection and DEFENSIVE rebounding. That would make us immensely better without having to trade our big 3.

Also fire longbari or whatever his name is. Hire a maniac like Scott skiles to run the defense.

A lot of the team goes as LeBron goes. One part of getting LeBron to be able to run back at 100% on all GS 7 Seconds or Less sprints is to be able to sit him for at least 6-8 minutes per game in the Finals.

This requires Kyrie to run the offense more efficiently when LeBron sits. Too often, the second LeBron sat, Kyrie would go in to "take over" move, with few passes and little motion. When he nails shots, it seems fine, but it seems to get the rest of the guys out of sync. It's not all Kyrie's fault but he has to be more cognizant of the importance of getting the guys around him in their rhythm

First, I think the lack of focus on defense this year did play a a big role, but defense aside I agree we were not TOO far off.

Game 1 - Turnovers (nerves?). Fix that and we probably lose a close game.
Game 2 - We got beat.
Game 3 - LeBron and KI were out of gas the last 3 minutes. EASILY could've won with a better bench unit (series now 2-1)
Game 4 - WIN (to your point, series now 2-2)
Game 5 - We got beat (series now 3-2)
Game 6 - At home, already won both home games...could do it again. (series now 3-3)
Game 7 - Anything can happen....although we probably get beat

1.) A better bench unit should make a GSW series more competitive at least.

2.) I also feel that the Cavs awfulness without LeBron on the court is bad coaching and general unfamiliarity among the players. When LeBron is on the court (and he usually is for 40+ mins a night) the entire offense runs through and/or around him. Take him out of the game and there aren't enough plays or reps for the guys to be comfortable.

This is why I think TT is our best trade chip. I'd love to flip him for someone who provides more rim protection and DEFENSIVE rebounding. That would make us immensely better without having to trade our big 3.

Easy to say, but who would that be?

Also fire longbari or whatever his name is. Hire a maniac like Scott skiles to run the defense.

Or maybe give Longbardhi a second full year with the team and allow a better continuity, understanding, and commitment to flow on the defensive side of the ball?

I was really disappointed in Deron Williams point guard skills.

Dude couldn't run an offense, dude couldn't hit a shot. Id resign Korver and just eat the bullet on him and let him walk. Like he looked really bad and that's after all the praise I heard of his skills in facilitating offense. A lot of times hed use the pick and would have a WIDE OPEN drive or mid range and hed just pull it back and dribble some more. Delly would do his floater in those situations or drive and oop to TT. It was embarrassing watching Deron Williams literally do NOTHING with the ball when him shooting was clearly the best option. They defended him so softly on the PnR he probably shouldve averaged 10+ FGA per game. Dude forgot how to play PG

Then again we literally have no offense to facilitate. Its LeBron ball and when LeBron sits its a guy trying his best to emulate LeBron....horribly. A guy like Lou WIlliams would ate the defense up that GS played on Deron. Lou would've shot off that pick every time and forced them to guard him

There is zero margin of error for us and tons for them. That's the key element here and it's unfortunate so many people can't understand that.

We can upgrade the bench, acquire better players, but we'll still be outclassed from a talent perspective. Their entire bench benefits from playing with likes of KD and Steph, and that's why their production is easier. Talent impacts the rest of the team in so many ways. Their bench unit generally (assuming no foul trouble, etc...) involves both Durant and Klay. That warps opposing defenses which makes guys like McCaw and Clark look better than what they are.

Adding Tucker and Allen isn't gonna do anything to make Kyrie or Love better defenders. But it will allow the Warriors to scheme against them and we'll be watching Tucker and Allen brick open shots (or pass them up entirely) which will disrupt our offense. Effort is NOT the problem when defending the Warriors - it's defensive IQ and ability. And the proposition that we don't change our core 3 means accepting that, if we want to play Kyrie or Love at all, we're going to have a lot of these same problems.

And at the end of the day, these sub all-stars have to play perfectly (within their roles) for us to have a shot, and I wouldn't put it past GS to still be able to win if our bench guys play perfectly. If Kyrie or Love or James isn't knocking down shots then we're in a world of trouble.

The thread is fine and I'm sure we could put up a better fight with a stronger bench, but we're not beating Golden State until we turn at least one of Kyrie or Love into an elite two-way talent (we simply cannot give both heavy minutes against GS and expect to be able to win consistently), and THEN improve the bench.

I was really disappointed in Deron Williams point guard skills.

Dude couldn't run an offense, dude couldn't hit a shot. Id resign Korver and just eat the bullet on him and let him walk. Like he looked really bad and that's after all the praise I heard of his skills in facilitating offense.

Then again we literally have no offense to facilitate. Its LeBron ball and when LeBron sits its a guy trying his best to emulate LeBron....horribly

I'm not convinced Williams was terrible by nature, i'm convinced he didn't know what to do in terms of the system. It seems to be a trend on all LeBron teams. Everyone is reduced to spot-up shooters. Then when they [or LeBron] go cold.. we have no adjustments to fall back on. It's all moody ball.

guys we really weren't even close to winning that series

I know people are searching for hope anywhere but we got soundly beaten And I see no reason to believe the outcome changes next year short of some major changes (adding melo for scraps, warriors losing BOTH Livingston and igodoula).

I know as time goes on people will try to convince themselves we were a solid bench player away to provide hope

But we really weren't.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."