• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

If the Bulls had made the '95 Finals...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

JMoneyYourHoney

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Would Jordan have another ring or the only Finals loss on his resume? The Rockets with Dream found so much momentum that postseason that their second title in so many years seemed like fate.

And just as an aside, the Bulls notoriously struggled against the Hakeem rockets during the regular season back then. Jordan himself admitted that they never had an answer for the "big fellow" and seemed leery about a Finals matchup.

They couldn't handle a young Shaq, how could they have handled a prime Hakeem?

I do believe so. Such an important component to those bulls teams was the asset they had at Power Forward whether it was defense or on the glass...

The '95 team had neither Grant or Rodman and were pretty thin up front.

The other wing players weren't nearly as good. I think Pippen, Jordan, and Harper would have shut down Maxwell, Cassell, and Kenny. They would have just allowed Hakeem to get his.

@Rob, no one could handle a young Shaq. He was the most dominant force we've ever seen since Wilt. Hakeem, Robinson, and Ewing, all outstanding and elite defenders would get bullied by Shaq.

They'd just make Shaq work extra hard and try to wear them down on the other end, but defensively, they were at his mercy too.

What Phil did, and had, was three 7 feet centers. His philosophy was put Shaq on the line, or let him get his and shut everyone else down.

Hakeem himself wouldn't have beaten the Bulls IMO because he lacked that dynamic wing player. Although Thorpe might have given them some issues before they got Rodman.

When they got Clyde, he was on the tail spin of his career. Still very good, but Jordan was soundly better than Clyde. The second Rockets teams would have made it tougher. That team might have beaten the Bulls, hard to say. They were kinda a hot mess that year, but got hot at the right time and won it all.

The first one would have had no chance IMO.

EDIT: I completely didn't read the thread. Me multiple tasking while making dinner.

If the answer is would Jordan's Bulls, when he came back from baseball, that '95 team beat the Rockets?

The answers is a definite no. Jordan wasn't Jordan.. He came back from baseball, virtually not playing any meaningful basketball in a year and half. If Jordan were Jordan, and never retired, that's an entirely different scenario.

Although I do the Magic in general matched up much better against the Bulls than the Rockets would, but they would have lost against Hakeem's Rockets too.

Last edited:
Yes, the other wing players weren't nearly as good. I think Pippen, Jordan, and Harper would have shut down Maxwell, Cassell, and Kenny. They would have just allowed Hakeem to get his.
Did you read the thread title? This is about 1995. The Rockets wings were better than the Magic's. Again, Orlando beat Chicago...

@Rob, no one could handle a young Shaq. He was the most dominant force we've ever seen since Wilt. Hakeem, Robinson, and Ewing, all outstanding and elite defenders would get bullied by Shaq.

They'd just make Shaq work extra hard and try to wear them down on the other end, but defensively, they were at his mercy too.
Well, Hakeem outplayed him in the '95 Finals, so I'm not sure what you are talking about.

What Phil did, and had, was three 7 feet centers. His philosophy was put Shaq on the line, or let him get his and shut everyone else down.
And how did Phil's philosophy work in '95? They lost. Hakeem was better than Shaq in '95 and was a much better free throw shooter. This would not have worked, not even close.

Hakeem himself wouldn't have beaten the Bulls IMO because he lacked that dynamic wing player.
He had Clyde Drexler...far superior than any wing on Orlando.

When they got Clyde, he was on the tail spin of his career. Still very good, but Jordan was soundly better than Clyde.
20/7/5 on 48% shooting is...well, pretty good. Was Jordan better, of course. Was Jordan better than any wing on Orlando, of course. Didn't matter, did it?

The second Rockets teams would have made it tougher.

The first one would have had no chance IMO.
This is about 1995.

Relax, sheesh, I just said I didn't read the entire thread clearly. Was multi-tasking. I somehow thought he was inferring if Jordan never retired. But that year, no, they wouldn't have beaten the Rockets.

Had Jordan never retired, that's entirely different. He retired in the prime of his career. He was still very good when he came back. But we're talking about a guy that had a per in the 30s, and although he eventually regain form in some degree, he never got near that again in the post season.

This guy could win you series by himself, he was that freaking good at times. But Jordan that year, no, he was off par for his standards. Although still very good compared to others.

Relax, sheesh, I just said I didn't read the entire thread clearly. Was multi-tasking. I somehow thought he was inferring if Jordan never retired. But that year, no, they wouldn't have beaten the Rockets.
Didn't see your edit until after I posted.

Had Jordan never retired, that's entirely different. He retired in the prime of his career. He was still very good when he came back. But we're talking about a guy that had a per in the 30s, and although he eventually regain form in some degree, he never got near that again in the post season.

This guy could win you series by himself, he was that freaking good at times. But Jordan that year, no, he was off par for his standards. Although still very good compared to others.
I always found this thought as a poor excuse. Other than his turnovers being higher, his stats were consistent with, or better than, his last 4 Championship runs.

I think, the bottom line is, he needed more help. That '95 roster could not handle elite big guys. They didn't lose because MJ wasn't himself; he was. They lost because he & the Bulls had no answer for Shaq and certainly would have had no answer for Hakeem.

Didn't see your edit until after I posted.

No biggie, my mistake. Didn't have the chance to read the actual thread. So what I said didn't matter.

I always found this thought as a poor excuse. Other than his turnovers being higher, his stats were consistent with, or better than, his last 4 Championship runs.

No there weren't. His PER was its lowest since his rookie season. 24.8 is a huge drop off compared to a 30 PER. His VOP was much lower. His BPM was lower than it ever was compared to his last season/championship run. His WS/48 was at an all-time low (by the way it literally doubled the following year). His individual scoring was in the ball park of him, but everything else was basically at career lows for him.

We're talking about Jordan in his prime, not at the tail spin of that title run too. When he retired the first time, he was the most dominant player on the planet by a landslide.

His last championship run at 34 was when the wheels were starting to come off a little bit for good, I'll give you that. But before he retired (first time), he was out the ballpark great. He never rebounded quite to that form, but definitely rebounded back to being better after that '95 stint.

I think, the bottom line is, he needed more help. That '95 roster could not handle elite big guys. They didn't lose because MJ wasn't himself; he was. They lost because he & the Bulls had no answer for Shaq and certainly would have had no answer for Hakeem.

Maybe, but prime Michael Jordan, I'm not going to rule him out of beating almost anyone. His teams were never perfect. They had a good complement of players. Longley was a solid defensive center.. Perdue, Simpkins and Wennington never blew anyone away, but they understood their roles and played them well at least.

Yes, their power forward was a weakness, but Houston had traded Thorpe, he was gone. They went with Robert Horry. So I don't think upfront they'd been in trouble.

Clyde Drexler would have struggled against Pippen and Jordan IMO. Those two were as good as it gets, best all time tandem as perimeter defenders. They would shut you down. They were that dominant at times defensively.

Clyde in his prime, when he was an MVP candidate, got obliterated by them in the '92 finals.

Missing a year and half of basketball is a big deal. It threw Jordan off. His team didn't know quite how to gel with him when he came back too.

Sure, the Rodman addition really helped a lot. That's why they were able to win 72 games like it was nothing.

But what helped most was Jordan was able to rebound back into form.

Last edited:
I do believe so. Such an important component to those bulls teams was the asset they had at Power Forward whether it was defense or on the glass...

The '95 team had neither Grant or Rodman and were pretty thin up front.
Would Grant of went to Orlando if Jordan stayed?

Last edited:
Would Grant of when to Orlando if Jordan stayed?
Believe so. Grant (like Pippen and Jordan) had issues with thier management.

Believe so. Grant (like Pippen and Jordan) had issues with thier management.
Very true. Had Grant stayed they may not even get Rodman. Not even sure they win there second three peat if that happened.

But yes there was something not right with players and management. Hard to believe a team 3 peat and brake up without trying for 4th straight championship

Very true. Had Grant stayed they may not even get Rodman. Not even sure they win there second three peat if that happened.

But yes there was something not right with players and management. Hard to believe a team 3 peat and brake up without trying for 4th straight championship
Krause used to say "Organizations win championships, not players"...The guy wanted Tim Floyd coaching the Bulls so bad for no reason?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."