• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Indians Hire Carl Willis as Pitching Coach

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Really happy for Mick. Hate to see him leave but it is a well deserved opportunity. Hope the Mets can take out everyone in the National League and then the Indians beat him in the WS!
Many good candidates out there that I have heard and I think Tito will get the right guy.

Bastian:

On the Major League coaching staff, the Indians have bullpen coach Jason Bere, who has worked alongside Callaway for the past three seasons, and Scott Atchison, the team's Major League advance coach and staff assistant. For the past two years, Atchison has worked closely with Callaway and Bere in developing advance reports for the team. Two more possibilities within the organization are Steve Karsay (Triple-A pitching coach) and Ruben Niebla (Minor League pitching coordinator).

Looking outside the Indians' organization, former Red Sox manager John Farrell would appear to be an obvious candidate on the surface. Farrell has ties to the Indians organization, and was Indians manager Terry Francona's pitching coach for four years during their days in Boston. Farrell and Francona remain close friends. All of that said, Cleveland is expected to go in another direction.

When Francona came aboard as the Indians' manager prior to the 2013 season, he was considering Kirk Champion (currently working in the White Sox player-development department) for the pitching-coach job before being blown away by Callaway during interviews. Another coach with ties to Francona is Curt Young, who was his pitching coach in Boston in 2011 and was let go by the A's this past season. Other pitching coaches recently removed from that role with their former clubs include Mike Maddux, Chris Bosio, Jim Hickey and Dave Righetti.

Bere has been with the organization for a while now, retired with them then went directly into development. I think he would be a solid choice. That is, if they truly do not want Farrell.

I can't imagine Farrell staying a pitching coach for long, so I can understand wanting to go in a different direction there. I would like to see them really do some interviews and find the next Callaway, personally. I also wouldn't be shocked to see it be Karsay.

Bastian:

On the Major League coaching staff, the Indians have bullpen coach Jason Bere, who has worked alongside Callaway for the past three seasons, and Scott Atchison, the team's Major League advance coach and staff assistant. For the past two years, Atchison has worked closely with Callaway and Bere in developing advance reports for the team. Two more possibilities within the organization are Steve Karsay (Triple-A pitching coach) and Ruben Niebla (Minor League pitching coordinator).

Looking outside the Indians' organization, former Red Sox manager John Farrell would appear to be an obvious candidate on the surface. Farrell has ties to the Indians organization, and was Indians manager Terry Francona's pitching coach for four years during their days in Boston. Farrell and Francona remain close friends. All of that said, Cleveland is expected to go in another direction.

When Francona came aboard as the Indians' manager prior to the 2013 season, he was considering Kirk Champion (currently working in the White Sox player-development department) for the pitching-coach job before being blown away by Callaway during interviews. Another coach with ties to Francona is Curt Young, who was his pitching coach in Boston in 2011 and was let go by the A's this past season. Other pitching coaches recently removed from that role with their former clubs include Mike Maddux, Chris Bosio, Jim Hickey and Dave Righetti.
Read this article too. Some good names in there. Wondering who Mickey is looking at as well? We may lose more staff and they may be on this list.

Wow, this is quite a surprise. I’m not sure if I like it yet. Willis always struck me as an old-school pitching coach and I would have preferred somebody younger with more innovative ideas. Callaway’s biggest strength is he got the most out of all types of pitchers.

Anyway, does that mean that Willis finally got divorced from Eric Wedge?

Wow, this is quite a surprise. I’m not sure if I like it yet. Willis always struck me as an old-school pitching coach and I would have preferred somebody younger with more innovative ideas. Callaway’s biggest strength is he got the most out of all types of pitchers.

Anyway, does that mean that Willis finally got divorced from Eric Wedge?
Why would Willis need to be 'divorced' from a guy the FO never wanted to fire in the first place? And Carl Willis was also a genius pitching coach here until he wasn't. It hurts to lose Callaway but if this team is truely devoted to analytics then the systemic changes they have made to how they handle pitchers should mean that they continue to develop young talent and keep their current talent healthy. Right?

Why would Willis need to be 'divorced' from a guy the FO never wanted to fire in the first place?
Why was he fired then? I forget how that all went down.

And my only point with that is it’s good to get perspective from many different voices in your coaching career instead of being tied to one guy to further your development as a coach. (Brad Mills notwithstanding)

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."