• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Indians to host 2019 All Star Game

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NorthCoastBias

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
View: https://twitter.com/ZackMeisel/status/824629891370983424

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- There's a mid-to-late-'90s vibe emerging at the corner of Carnegie and Ontario.

The Indians will hold a press conference on Friday morning to announce that they will host the 2019 MLB All-Star Game at Progressive Field, multiple sources told cleveland.com. The city last hosted the sport's Midsummer Classic in 1997, in the middle of a storied (albeit title-less) era in the franchise's history.

In that 1997 exhibition, Tribe catcher Sandy Alomar captured the Most Valuable Player Award for his go-ahead two-run home run in the seventh inning, which vaulted the American League to a 3-1 victory. The Indians have hosted the All-Star Game on four other occasions, as well. In 1935, 1954, 1963 and 1981, the contest took place at Municipal Stadium.

The 2019 game will mark the sixth in Cleveland. No other franchise has hosted more, and only New York and Chicago -- areas with multiple teams -- have hosted more as a city.

The selection of Progressive Field will snap a string of four consecutive National League sites chosen to host the event. The Marlins will accommodate the league's top talent at this year's game. The Nationals will host next year's game. The Twins were the last AL team to host the affair. They did so at Target Field in 2014.

Since the last time the Indians hosted, the majority of their AL adversaries have also taken a turn.

1999: Boston

2001: Seattle

2003: Chicago White Sox

2004: Houston (an NL club, at the time)

2005: Detroit

2008: New York Yankees

2010: Los Angeles Angels

2012: Kansas City Royals

2014: Minnesota Twins

The Orioles hosted the All-Star Game in 1993, the year after Baltimore began play at Camden Yards. The Blue Jays hosted the game in 1991. The Rangers last hosted in 1995, though they are expected to open a new ballpark in 2020.

The Rays have never hosted the affair at Tropicana Field since their inception in 1998. The Athletics last hosted in 1987, but they remain in need of a new facility.

The Indians have made a series of sweeping renovations to Progressive Field over the last few years. They eliminated thousands of seats in right field and behind home plate, as they installed a large bar and drink rails and an enclosed gathering area for season-ticket holders. They cleared out some of the foundation on the main concourse to improve the view of the field for those walking around the ballpark. They also welcomed a slew of local vendors to the venue.

The club's attendance, seemingly stuck in the mud for a handful of years, ultimately increased last season. It certainly helped that the team captured its first division title in nine years and advanced to Game 7 of the World Series, the club's first appearance in the Fall Classic since 1997.

The Indians anticipate another attendance boost in 2017. The club sold several hundred season-ticket packages following the free-agent addition of three-time All-Star Edwin Encarnacion.

The Indians' next-door neighbors, the Cavaliers, are planning $140 million worth of renovations to Quicken Loans Arena over the next few years. The Cavs are expected to land an NBA All-Star Game in the near-future as well. The Cavs also last hosted the star-studded affair in 1997.

The Indians sent three players to the All-Star Game in 2016: Corey Kluber, Danny Salazar and Francisco Lindor. Salazar did not pitch because of a tender right arm. Kluber earned the victory, which merited the AL home-field advantage in the World Series. That All-Star Game wrinkle was eliminated in the latest collective bargaining agreement.

The Indians have made a series of sweeping renovations to Progressive Field over the last few years. They eliminated thousands of seats in right field and behind home plate, as they installed a large bar and drink rails and an enclosed gathering area for season-ticket holders. They cleared out some of the foundation on the main concourse to improve the view of the field for those walking around the ballpark. They also welcomed a slew of local vendors to the venue.

Which is great. Definitely.

But do you think they will keep making cosmetic updates to the stadium? Maybe make those dumpsters look more like the renderings? Or are we just keeping it as is?

Which is great. Definitely.

But do you think they will keep making cosmetic updates to the stadium? Maybe make those dumpsters look more like the renderings? Or are we just keeping it as is?

They're adding more statues. Gotta think they'll make minor changes as they go. I'm with you on the dumpsters; what a bad call those are/were.

I'm excited for this. Definitely going to go to most events. Except for the shitty celebrity softball game

Will the Indians still be playing there in 2019?

You're the worst.
No jokes about attendance can be made here?

aye aye captain
10769.jpg

anyways....does anyone think this has to do with officially dumping the Wahoo and maybe even the name? I can't only imagine the protests if they don't by then.

No jokes about attendance can be made here?

aye aye captain
10769.jpg

I mean, it's a dead horse at this point. You're the "I think I'm funny because I'm a negative annoying smart ass" guy. We get it, and you excel at the annoying smart ass part of it, but your jokes are about as stale and awful as the acting in the movie Jingle all the Way.

I mean, it's a dead horse at this point. You're the "I think I'm funny because I'm a negative annoying smart ass" guy. We get it, and you excel at the annoying smart ass part of it, but your jokes are about as stale and awful as the acting in the movie Jingle all the Way.
No way, my jokes are worse than that. I am more in between the acting of Jingle All The Way and Kid Cudis new music.

@David.

No way, I'm way worse than that. I am more in between the acting of Jingle All The Way and Kid Cudis new music.

@David.
I have nothing to add here, except that Huber should be a mod

Definitely cool news - I look forward to attending

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."