• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Is the NFL in decline?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Triple-S

Watch the IndyCar Series on NBC
Reaction score
Just kind of curious about this as I've ran into this article popping up a few times. It's been discussed a few times in the "tank" thread.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/10/09/nfl-tries-to-reassure-teams-as-tv-ratings-drop.html

(I know, Fox News, but this is one of many outlets that are reposting an AP headline).

I do get the vibe that this is indeed true. This isn't just because I feel like the Browns are terrible, and it's affecting my viewing habits (which is very much true), but man it feels like the NBA, MLB, NHL, and NCAA Football all have a more interesting product right now.

Those sports also don't seem to want to cater towards people who don't give a shit about their product. The NFL just seems to be weirdly greedy in trying to get every single person possible interested in their product rather than people who are either love football itself, or are sports fans. The Super Bowl for example has become not a thing to figure out who's the best in the world, but rather "which ads were funny" and "who's playing the halftime show". You laugh, but those are the two things that the league promotes over ANYTHING else leading up to that game.

I also feel that the product has over saturated itself. I kinda liked the concept of the Thursday games when they were in December, but man having them every week feel brutal. Not to mention that it always felt better to watch a CFB game that night rather than a pro game.

Could it be that America itself has finally been burnt out with the NFL?

I think the negative press has hurt them, from the Brady thing, to the national anthem protests. I also think there are a lack of stars. With Brady out the first 4 weeks and Manning retiring, Rogers and Cam struggling I think that has hurt them.

It's also the speed of the game - college football has the clock stopping and the speed of the game can be altered to be a weapon.

It's also that these college kids are... kids. It's awesome to see them compete (like OSU, for example) at such a high level, for no money. They play for pride and play for each other, and they grow up on the field right in front of you.

It's also that the college game has constant turnover of players. Like, every year there's some new blood to root for, whereas the Browns might get someone new, but he's tainted in some way or another, or most likely, he is going to prove himself and bounce to another team.

It's also that for most teams in college football, the playoffs begin in week 1. If you have a loss, you might not get in to the 4 team playoff. It's a totally different level of intensity.

There are hot college hoes too. They will eventually have floppy arms or the beer will catch up with them, but for now, they are in college and they are fine.

The fans in general are there in quantity and spirit. OSU had 100K people show up... FOR A SPRING GAME. At the regular season games, the crowds are electric and festive, and that tends to happen when you have 100K+ fans of basically one team.

I'd rather watch an NFL game of 2 no-name teams than a college game of 2 no-name teams, but in that case, I just wouldn't be watching TV.

They regulate the game too much. They try and force the whole QB is the greatest position on earth and we'll remind you every chance we get shit too. They act as though the majority of their fans are new to football. Like we just started watching football this year.

Brand marketing and overall just bad play and coaching....

I do agree they regulate the game too much. Product is watered down. The game is way too much about offense, speed, speed, speed (40 time).... ATHLETES !!! Track stars !!! As opposed to talent and toughness and just being physical...

Sick of seeing someone like Odell Beckham being the promoter of the NFL every single time I turn around when he's done absolutely nothing.... (At least they figured out Von Miller is marketable and, well, he is a super bowl MVP)...

Athletic running QB's can stay playing on Saturdays for all I care...

The lack of emphasis on having and developing superstar running backs...

Monday night football gets a terrible game every single week....

The new uniforms across the league (including our monstrosities) these safety helmets with the cutouts at the top which look ridiculously stupid and nothing like football helmets remind me nothing of what I grew up seeing...

I think the product is significantly worse. There are a few factors IMO, but at the top would simply be the less time dedicated to playing the game at the professional level.

The amount of time the Union and NFL agreed to when it comes to pre-season football as well as "in-season" practices, I think you just have less prepared teams. And it isn't just the cutback on actual practices, it's also the amount of contact and activity allowed.

I think the cut-backs were/are necessary for the health of the players, but it also comes with big drawbacks. When you're so limited with the amount of time you have, it becomes even more paramount to have consistency and a system the bulk of your roster is familiar with. It's no surprise to me New England and Pittsburgh are good/great year-in/year-out while franchises that continue to change suck. You don't really have the time needed on the practice field to instill true harmony and systems. You can install elements and run certain schemes, I just don't think a lot of these teams are executing at a level you would have seen from teams in the 90's. Personally, it's mostly watching the offenses to me. I understand why they keep making rules to favor the offense...they need it. Watching teams try and score points has become painful in the NFL. But it's also brutal to watch when half of the first downs awarded are "illegal contacts" or "unnecessary roughness". It doesn't feel like you are watching football.

I get the vibe that the NFL has no interest in showing it's players having fun judging by the fact that they penalized Pryor for something that LeBron does all the time on the court.

They keep trying to blame the debates, but one would think that wouldn't be hurting them so badly as pro football generally offers them some sort of escape.

The overtime rules are terrible compared to college football or any other sport out there. The "unsportsmanlike penalty" and "roughing the passer" penalties only seem to exist to be called unfavorably.

Even the way political matters are handled seem vastly better in the NBA. Kudos to Silver, LeBron, and others. They got out right in front of a lot of issues in this country.

On a more personal note? It feels like the NBA really appreciates Cleveland as a market. Look at how they've saved this franchise during the 80's from Ted Stepian, or the fact that we landed so many lottery picks during the 2010's. The NFL REALLY fucked us over in 1995 and 1999. The effects of what happened during those two years still haunt the NFL to this day.

And let's get real here: how in the actual FUCK does Duke Johnson come up with the football in his hands and then they don't change the call?!? Like I don't give a damn if the game has to approve a mid-game rule change - The Duke had THE BALL. IN HIS HANDS. BRO.

5 years ago I started telling people that in 10-15 years the NFL is going to change dramatically. The game was simply just too violent to last. You've already started to see shorter kick offs, more emphasis on safety, and just general control of the game. In addition to that you've got a commissioner that clearly plays favorites, and acts as though he is the only smart guy in the room. He has basically tried to spread the product to being all week during the season and have something going on all the time during the off season. It's just too much, all the time.

That on top of the browns being worthless, the NFL has dropped to the bottom of the 3 leagues, and quite frankly my Sundays are a lot more enjoyable that was.

Some good points in here.

I also think the explosion of fantasy/daily fantasy are helping prop up the popularity of the league.

In reality gambling is more intertwined in the viewership than just "being a fan" like most people were back in the day.

NFL has been on a decline for years now. Goodell has ruined this league. The rules on and off the field are terrible and seriously ruin the fun of the league and water it down to the point of boredom. There's no accountability. They protect certain franchises and don't give a shit about others. Goodell is essentially a dictator and an extremely shitty one at that. The NFL was so much better 10-15 years ago. I miss Tagliabue. If Cleveland didn't have a team I would not watch at all.

Some good points in here.

I also think the explosion of fantasy/daily fantasy are helping prop up the popularity of the league.

In reality gambling is more intertwined in the viewership than just "being a fan" like most people were back in the day.
I was just telling a couple of my friends the other day, if it wasn't for FFB, I'd probably be finding other things to do on my Sunday like reading or binge watching a TV show. The sport has massively failed in my estimation by trying to cater to everyone. I truly believe a lot of these "taunting" penalties are stemmed from incidents like that lady who blasted Cam for showboating. This is a game that is extremely violent and causes a lot of emotions, by stripping away those emotions players are now having to think much harder about their actions. Now the thought of a taunting penalty is constantly in the back of their minds and that has to take a toll on concentration. Between loss of focus and lack of practice you're getting and seeing sloppy football. If you add in horrific coaching with regards to EV decisions like 4th downs and when to go for the TD specifically you're seeing a lot of points being left on the board.

It's understandable to be frustrated with football because the neutering they've done of the sport is just atrocious.

I don't know about you guys but the amount of commercials is making it unwatchable. I have better things to do than watch Flo push her crappy insurance 20 times a day.

The NFL was fun when Randy Moss would catch a TD and fake pull his pants down and moon the Lambeau crowd. Or when TO would pull out a sharpie and sign the football then give it to a fan.

There's no stars. No Brett Favre's. No more John Madden commentary. A flag is thrown every play, a guy fumbling but coming out of the pile with the ball while the rest fight over a shoe, BS taunting calls that effects games because the refs have money on the opposing team being taunted. Players being suspended for smoking weed longer than players hitting their wives.

The league is a joke and I agree, I wouldn't watch this shit if i didn't have the Browns. NBA, MLB, NCAA for me. Maybe I'll adopt Hockey over the NFL.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."