• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Joe John$on is a Loser

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ohio

Woosah
Reaction score
PDj7Y9a.png

View: https://twitter.com/si_nba/status/749250735993479168

Last edited:
Would be nice to have a backup to LeBron whose production doesn't completely fall off when Bron's on the bench...

Dude could honestly start at the 2. I'm sure we would bring him off the bench, but I'm just saying he is still probably more talented than Shump or JR even at his age. He is shooting a good clip from three too. If Shump is hurt or JR is cold, I could definitely see Joe getting a lot of minutes at the 2. But coming in as the back up 3, it will be nice to have someone that can take over the offense and create their own shot while LeBron and Kyrie or Kevin are getting a breather.

And the small ball of:
Kyrie
JR/Shump/Delly
Smokin Joe
LeBron
Love/TT/Frye

Good luck guarding that.

He would have to give up a lot of money to get a buyout, though. The Nets have zero motivation to just let him go, since Boston has their pick and losing doesn't benefit them.

wow I haven't been this excited about a midseason acquisition propelling us to a championship since Jamison

I don't know much about how it works. Let's say Johnson wants a buyout but refuses to lose any of his own money. Is there a way that say the Nets could pay 60% of his money due and the Cavs then pay for the remaining 40%?

In my opinion, this will show how much JJ really wants to win a championship. For a guy who's made a tooooooooooon of money over his career, he should be willing to take a small buyout to get to a championship team. He's owed what, 8 million more this season? If I were him I would say keep the money I want out.

I don't know much about how it works. Let's say Johnson wants a buyout but refuses to lose any of his own money. Is there a way that say the Nets could pay 60% of his money due and the Cavs then pay for the remaining 40%?
Well once a contract has been bought out by a team, it's essentially terminated. So if we were to sign him, we would still have to play by the same salary cap rules like we would for any free agent. That means on our team, he can only sign for the minimum or into an applicable exception, if one is available.

40% of 25 million is 10 million, and we couldn't sign him for that much even if we were crazy enough to want to.

Not how it works. If a player gets waived and you claim him, you have to pay for him with cap room, which we don't have, and which is why you never see bought out players claimed when they hit waivers, cause they are usually still owed a large chunk of change that you would then have to pay for.

If Johnson takes a 60% buyout, goes through waivers, he will sign a vet minimum while still getting paid what Brooklyn agreed to pay him. Why you see most bought out guys go to contenders on minimum deals instead of looking for a larger deal from a worse team...they're still getting paid.

Not how it works. If a player gets waived and you claim him, you have to pay for him with cap room, which we don't have, and which is why you never see bought out players claimed when they hit waivers, cause they are usually still owed a large chunk of change that you would then have to pay for.

If Johnson takes a 60% buyout, goes through waivers, he will sign a vet minimum while still getting paid what Brooklyn agreed to pay him. Why you see most bought out guys go to contenders on minimum deals instead of looking for a larger deal from a worse team...they're still getting paid.

One of the TPE's we have can be used to claim him as well. Not that I'd expect that to happen.

1) The Cavs can't agree to anything while he's under contract. That's tampering.
2) Contracts become guaranteed after January 10. But since Johnson is in the last year of his contract, he's allowed to take less money to be released now. The Nets would see a reduction in their payroll for tax purposes if he did.
3) If the Nets flat out cut him, they'd still owe him his full salary.
4) If he's bought out, the contract is terminated an he's a free agent.
5) If he's released, he has to go through waivers. Since no team has enough cap room to absorb his contract, he'll pass through waivers, the Nets will owe him his full salary and he'll be a free agent.
6) Once he's a free agent, any team can sign him with remaining cap room or an exception.

The Nets are currently $1.4M below the tax line. It's not like they're trying to avoid paying tax by buying him out. If JJ isnt willing to take a serious haircut to chase a ring, there's no way he gets bought out - unless Brooklyn thinks he's a distraction to the team or hindering development.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."