• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

John Wall

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PIP

1997-98 Armco Heating & Cooling Hornet
RCF Honored Elder
Reaction score
Thoughts on his game and in contrast to Kyrie's game ?

Now that I live in Washington D.C. (Or DMV) I get to see Wall on a daily basis... I'm a Kyrie fan and appreciate his ability to get buckets, but give me Wall all day over Irving... Leadership, impacting the game on both ends as opposed to one, the ability to be a triple double threat and overall quickness just gives him the edge IMO...
Tho I don't know his ADVANCED STATS ?

John Wall:

“It’s always tough. Everybody wants to know who is the best young point guard and who’s the best guy in the Eastern Conference. We both do things great for our team. He’s probably a better offensive guy, skill-wise, and can basically take over games with his skills. I’m more of a point guard that likes to get his teammates involved and am blessed with the talents and abilities to get hot and able to score the ball. Guys look at every time we play as a marquee matchup, so everybody is going to be tuned in for the next couple of years.”

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/quotes-wizards-140223

Now that I live in Washington D.C. (Or DMV) I get to see Wall on a daily basis... I'm a Kyrie fan and appreciate his ability to get buckets, but give me Wall all day over Irving... Leadership, impacting the game on both ends as opposed to one, the ability to be a triple double threat and overall quickness just gives him the edge IMO...

Feel the same exact way. I'd take him over Kyrie as well. John Wall is an alpha and a PG whom is capable of being a franchise cornerstone. Since he got drafted back in '09 he's been on a steady rise as his skills are beginning to catch up with his body and athleticism. He's also one of the most competitive guys in the league which is something I really like about him.

i like him a lot as player but he'd greatly benefit from improved shot selection. too many long 2s killing his efficiency but he gets to the rim at will and is a terrific finisher.

obv way more of a natural pg than kyrie.

As a PG he is better than Kyrie, but he will never be the overall player Irving is, just because he will never be the shooter Irving is.

As a PG he is better than Kyrie, but he will never be the overall player Irving is, just because he will never be the shooter Irving is.

I don't know, wall will always be a better defender and playmaker and the overall fg% is close. Walls a beast.

I don't know, wall will always be a better defender and playmaker and the overall fg% is close. Walls a beast.

I didn't say anything about overall FG%. And he is much better about moving the ball, but as a "playmaker" he isn't much better than Kyrie if at all. He gets a lot of assists running the offense, not so many by breaking down the defense and creating a shot for someone else out of nothing.

I have been very impressed with him this year. His athleticism is hard to deny, but I have to imagine that Kyrie's game will age better.

It would be a tough choice. If Wall's shooting continues to improve, the gap between them will shrink dramatically.

I like wall but assists are easy to get when beal and ariza et al are launching jumpers. I think he needs to get more agressive with his dribble in the half court, he should be blowing buy guys off the pick and roll but like westbrook he settles for too many 2 point jumpers

I like wall but assists are easy to get when beal and ariza et al are launching jumpers. I think he needs to get more agressive with his dribble in the half court, he should be blowing buy guys off the pick and roll but like westbrook he settles for too many 2 point jumpers

I don't like that argument at all. Some guys are just gifted at setting up his teammates and making them better and he's one of those guys. He has put up elite assist numbers since his rookie year, so I feel like attributing his high assist numbers to his teammates isn't giving credit where it's due.

Good point. I would imagine if you put knock down shooters like Beal and Ariza besides Irving he would get more assists as well. We really need some of those...

I remember at the beginning of the season a large portion of this board were bragging about how Irving, even as a 2nd year player, was already better than Wall. Just add it to the long list of perceptions that have been changed because of the Cavs' struggle this season.

Wall has all the tools to be a premier PG: athleticism, court vision, size, speed, good finishing ability. He needs to develop a more consistent jumper but he has an excellent base to build on. I don't know just yet if I would take him over Kyrie, but it is certainly a much closer decision now than it was before the season.

Someone should bump that thread when Wall signed the max and everyone laughed at Washington and proclaimed Kyrie superior.

I do agree that Kyrie's offensive game could give his skill set an edge, but Wall's potential as a floor leader and team leader is the trump card IMO... I'll trade his lack of shooting (that Kyrie has) for that leadership intangible that I don't believe Kyrie has displayed...

Kyrie should seriously be the unquestioned leader and alpha force on the Cavs....

Wall was visibly unable to give a shit last year, I'm glad that changed this year. I love his ability to push in transition, but he is figuring out the half court now. I think Beal masks some of his mistakes by playing intelligent and team oriented ball.

I hope your quest to find love with James Gibson is an unmitigated success. The best to both of you. :chuckles:

2 point jumpers are the ultimate efficiency killer.

waiters, klay, melo, wall, westbrook, etc etc all take retarded amounts of them. even fan favorite jarrett jack has epically bad shot selection:chuckles:

I don't like that argument at all. Some guys are just gifted at setting up his teammates and making them better and he's one of those guys. He has put up elite assist numbers since his rookie year, so I feel like attributing his high assist numbers to his teammates isn't giving credit where it's due.
especially since he is setting them up for quality 3s.

a pg that does that = yes please!

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."