• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Kobe Bryant Appreciation thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Walter White

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Today is Kobe's last game. I figured he needed his own thread to discuss the game and pay tribute. Kobe was one of my first favorite players that inspired my love for the game back in like 1st grade, and I thank him for that. I'm a little sad about today even though I'm not much of a Kobe fan anymore.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:15170627

Top 10 all time (I have only MJ, Kareem, Magic, Wilt, Russell, LBJ, and Bird in front of him). Closest thing we will ever see to another Michael Jordan...he really matched MJ in style and demeanor (even stole some of his patented moves). One of the few perimeter players who, in his prime, could score 30 per night but also lock down his opponent. And he's one of the most dynamic scorers the game has ever seen.

Can we appreciate that he is in fact the statistically worst player in the nba at this year, and that coming back for one more season was completely ridiculous and has tainted his legacy?

They were only ALLEGATIONS!

Can we appreciate that he is in fact the statistically worst player in the nba at this year, and that coming back for one more season was completely ridiculous and has tainted his legacy?
no. him coming back for one final year means nothing in the grand scheme of things. yes, it's been largely painful to watch in real time. but years from now, nobody will care. months from now, nobody will care. this final year won't even be remotely on the radar when his name is brought up. it'll honestly be the absolute last thing on anyone's mind. and rightfully so.

fwiw i am not saying that as a kobe fan. it's simply reality. personally i don't care for him as a basketball player. he's incredibly selfish and self-absorbed which has been costly his entire career. both when the lakers were good - making significant contributions to the breakup of multiple dynasties; and when they were bad - the trade demands, the outsized contracts in the twilight of his career, refusing to enable the young guys to develop. not only did he likely cost them at least one ring if not more when they were good, but when they were bad he still handicapped the future of the team. regardless, he'll still go down as one of the best ever when all is said and done.

anyway, what i admire more than anything about kobe is his approach to the game: the relentless work ethic, laser-sharp focus, interest in the details, insatiable desire to get better, strict discipline, and killer mentality to destroy everyone he came across. it's why he's achieved so much success in the game, and really, it's the blueprint for achieving a lot of success in life itself too.

Pretty sure something else tainted his career.

Pretty sure something else tainted his career.
Who do you all like better?

Kobe #8 or Kobe #24?

Daniel Tosh:
"Kobe was accused of rape, and all he had to do was settle in court for millions of dollars, change his jersey number and win a championship and that soulless town in LA couldn't be prouder. I just hope that when parents let their kids run around in #24 jerseys, they have the decency to say: 'Well come on, number 8 was the rapist."

Taping the game tonight to watch after class tomorrow.

Be cool to see Kobe go off for 50+ one final time.

Taping the game tonight to watch after class tomorrow.

Be cool to see Kobe go off for 50+ one final time.
I wonder how hard he is going to be pressing. I'd imagine he would play as hard as he can with every ounce of passion and energy left in him knowing it's his last game. Man, that has to be a crazy feeling for him. It's literally his last game, ever, in the NBA.

Who do you all like better?

Kobe #8 or Kobe #24?

Daniel Tosh:
"Kobe was accused of rape, and all he had to do was settle in court for millions of dollars, change his jersey number and win a championship and that soulless town in LA couldn't be prouder. I just hope that when parents let their kids run around in #24 jerseys, they have the decency to say: 'Well come on, number 8 was the rapist."

That really is the most amazing thing about his career.

Though I guess its not the craziest thing when you consider OJ killed two people and got off.

they always show the highlight where kobe hit the GW in the 2006 playoffs against the suns

they lost that series after being up 3-1. story of his career. revisionist history

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."