• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Laptop To TV Question

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

buckeyefan

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if there is a tech thread already.

I'm wanting to connect my laptop (Macbook pro) to my TV (Emerson). I believe I have everything that is needed (Mini Displayport and HDMI cable). The problem is, the laptop is in display mirroring mode while the display on my TV will come on for a split second only for it to go to a black screen.

I apologize in advance if there is a tech thread already.

I'm wanting to connect my laptop (Macbook pro) to my TV (Emerson). I believe I have everything that is needed (Mini Displayport and HDMI cable). The problem is, the laptop is in display mirroring mode while the display on my TV will come on for a split second only for it to go to a black screen.

Check your HDMI cable.

I've had this happen with my Macbook Pro when using cheap cables... In fact, it happens all the time with bad cables, or cables that are not in-spec.

But the MBP w/Retina should be plug&play via HDMI. What year is your model?

Also make sure the resolution on your laptop is at a sufficiently low enough setting that your TV can handle it. If your TV will only do 1080p at 60Hz, for instance, and you have your laptop resolution set at 1440p and 120Hz, your TV won't be able to "mirror" your laptop settings and it might go to a black screen.

Check your HDMI cable.

I've had this happen with my Macbook Pro when using cheap cables... In fact, it happens all the time with bad cables, or cables that are not in-spec.

I've wondered if this is the reason for a problem I have from time to time (assume it is my Yamaha receiver). Nothing to do with a laptop, but about twice a week the tv will go to snow and I'll have to re-start my Receiver. TV is a brand new Sony - but it happened with my Samsung last year. Its almost as if the feed is not recognized all of a sudden and it goes to snow. Have you heard of this, oh guru?

I've wondered if this is the reason for a problem I have from time to time (assume it is my Yamaha receiver). Nothing to do with a laptop, but about twice a week the tv will go to snow and I'll have to re-start my Receiver. TV is a brand new Sony - but it happened with my Samsung last year. Its almost as if the feed is not recognized all of a sudden and it goes to snow. Have you heard of this, oh guru?
Sounds to me like a signal issue with your TV provider or even a heat issue. But I'm sure Gourimoko will have more possibilities for you.

Have you tried unplugging it and then plugging it back in?

@The Oi

Sounds to me like a signal issue with your TV provider or even a heat issue. But I'm sure Gourimoko will have more possibilities for you.

Definitely check the heat issue that @Cratylus mentioned; make sure your receiver is getting ample air.

But if that's not the problem, then try upgrading your cabling. If you're seeing any signal degradation that's 100% a cable issue; and if it cuts out and the TV goes black yet the receiver is still showing the signal is coming through, then your secondary cable has lost the HDCP connection with the TV (this is an anti-copy mechanism). Power cycling the receiver would fix this.

Also, make sure to check that all your equipment is properly grounded.

Power cycling the receiver would fix this..

Receiver and I don't have that kinda relationship...L

I would bet its a heat issue. It is in a cabinet with a glass door, and a small hole out the back for cables. Its on the top shelf, and I have it at the level where the top of the receiver is close to the underside of the cabinet. The shelf below has the blu-ray, and below that is storage. The top is typically warm to the touch after use. The only thing that makes me believe it may not be a heat issue is that it happens at times when I power it up after a night of being off....

Receiver and I don't have that kinda relationship...L

I would bet its a heat issue. It is in a cabinet with a glass door, and a small hole out the back for cables. Its on the top shelf, and I have it at the level where the top of the receiver is close to the underside of the cabinet. The shelf below has the blu-ray, and below that is storage. The top is typically warm to the touch after use. The only thing that makes me believe it may not be a heat issue is that it happens at times when I power it up after a night of being off....

Can you recreate the problem or is it sporadic?

If you can recreate the problem then you can test it using an analog cabling method (like 1080i component and see if the problem happens as well).

Also, try taking the receiver out of the cabinet for awhile and seeing if the problem persists?

Check your HDMI cable.

I'm thinking the HDMI cable may be the problem. The picture from the laptop will come up on the tv screen for a second then go back to the black screen. The HDMI cord is over 2 years old so I might go get another one after work. Does it really matter the price of the HDMI cord?

I'm thinking the HDMI cable may be the problem. The picture from the laptop will come up on the tv screen for a second then go back to the black screen. The HDMI cord is over 2 years old so I might go get another one after work. Does it really matter the price of the HDMI cord?

Price isn't as relevant as quality.

Can you recreate the problem or is it sporadic?

If you can recreate the problem then you can test it using an analog cabling method (like 1080i component and see if the problem happens as well).

Also, try taking the receiver out of the cabinet for awhile and seeing if the problem persists?

No - random and sporadic. I can deal with it now, as the wife is sick of wires and I am considering getting the Sonos Sound Bar and sub (already have Sonos in the house with a Sonos connect amp). Waiting to confirm with a guy I know if the ceiling speakers can be used as side / rear channels in the 5.1 set-up (save me from buying those 2 other Sonos speakers). I believe I can, but want to confirm. This will allow me to remove the receiver and speakers/sub I currently own. Also wondering if my current "wired" sub works with the Connect, as that would save me $700 (already own a 10" Klipsch sub)....

Sorry to derail this thread buckeye....

I've always bought dirt cheap HDMI cables from Amazon and never had any problems with them. Most of mine are well over two years old at this point too (several of them are in the five to seven year range, probably).

In fact, I don't think I've ever had an HDMI cable stop working, and I've never bought one of those fifty dollar rip-offs you find at Best Buy.

Reactions: NtG
I've always bought dirt cheap HDMI cables from Amazon and never had any problems with them. Most of mine are well over two years old at this point too (several of them are in the five to seven year range, probably).

In fact, I don't think I've ever had an HDMI cable stop working, and I've never bought one of those fifty dollar rip-offs you find at Best Buy.

It's hit and miss.. But I've had it happen many times with cheaper cables and it almost always depends on the source and the length.

For example, I've never had a problem with hooking up a console or a cable box, but I have had problems with graphics cards, receivers, or laptops. My Lenovo is a PAIN in the ass in this respect, and my MBP+r is only slightly better.

It's hit and miss.. But I've had it happen many times with cheaper cables and it almost always depends on the source and the length.

For example, I've never had a problem with hooking up a console or a cable box, but I have had problems with graphics cards, receivers, or laptops. My Lenovo is a PAIN in the ass in this respect, and my MBP+r is only slightly better.

I've never had to hook up my laptop to my TV. The only purpose that would serve for me is streaming media, and I just use Plex for that.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."