• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Larry Brown out as coach of Pistons

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ChicagoCavFan

Your job is to Attack
Staff member
Reaction score
from espn.com:

Brown out as Pistons coach
The Detroit Pistons and Larry Brown are close to a buyout of Brown's contract, sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein. Flip Saunders is the leading candidate to replace Brown.

Contract had three years, $18 million left
ESPN.com
Related Video:
Pistons coach maintains health is the main issue ESPN Motion

The Detroit Pistons and Larry Brown are parting ways, sources close to the situation told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

The Pistons and Brown, sources said, moved closer Monday to a buyout of Brown's contract, which has three years left at $18 million.

It was not immediately known if the buyout arrangement would be finalized Monday, and it remains to be seen whether Brown -- plagued by serious bladder complications throughout much of last season after hip surgery -- intends to take some time away from coaching. He could immediately pursue a coaching job with the New York Knicks or a front-office job with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Ex-Minnesota coach Flip Saunders is the leading candidate to replace Brown in Detroit after the Pistons came within one victory of winning back-to-back titles under the 64-year-old Brown.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here. Also, click here to send a question for possible use on ESPNEWS.

good, weakened a division rival great news. Hopefully he either retires or comes to our front office.

I dont want him in the FO - kinda happy with the way it is. I don't see him coaching anywhere this year as well - IMO, he'll take the year off (hell, he's getting paid) and consider positions again next season, probably upstairs...

no way in hell he coaches the knicks, he will probably take some time off, maybe coach a team whos coach was fired midseason or something.

Wow just this surprises me big time... I thought for sure he was going to be coaching the Pistons next year... Looks like Flip might be coaching the Pistons.

How about Paul Silas in Detroit......that would be hilarious!

Joe Dumars has way to much sense to even consider hiring Silas. Flip to Detroit has to be a done deal.

I doubt Brown coaches next year. It will be in NY if he does. I wonder if part of a buyout agreement might be that he agrees not to coach next season. If he does the Pistons might ask for some compensation.

Wow, I never really expected him to be out of DET. I wonder if this actually make them better. I never liked Brown, always though he was overrated. I think he gets too much credit for the Pistons' success. He definetly did a good job there and had a great defensive system. But I honestly think a coach like Flip can do just as well as he did with all the quality players on that team.

Maybe the new coach will be more willing to play the young guys instead of playing favorites. Guys like Darko, Delfino, and Arroyo could benefit from this and actually get a chance to develop into good players, maybe strengthening the team.

Doubt it LB is a very good coach look for a deprovement here. When they slumped last year it was when LB had hip surgery after he got back they were rolling.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."