• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Larry Brown to Coach the Knicks

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

cdt

Winter Is Here
Reaction score
Larry Brown "Offered" Knicks Job

Updated: July 26, 2005, 10:27 PM ET
Brown's agent says offer made, contract not final
Associated Press
Related Video:
Brown talks with reporters about his future ESPN Motion

NEW YORK -- Larry Brown has been offered a contract by the New York Knicks to become the franchise's 22nd head coach, his agent said Tuesday.

"An offer has been made, but that doesn't mean a contract has been completed. Nothing has been finalized," said Joe Glass, Brown's longtime agent.

No formal announcement of Brown's hiring was expected Wednesday, making Thursday the most likely day that Brown will sit at a podium alongside team president Isiah Thomas and owner James Dolan to make things absolutely, positively official.

That scenario, of course, can only happen if there are no snags.

And with the 64-year-old Brown, who has coached seven NBA teams and two college teams, the likelihood of a snag can never be underestimated.

"We're making progress, and we're continuing to talk at this point," Knicks spokesman Joe Favorito said Tuesday.

Glass was not sure when contract negotiations might wrap up.

"Too hard to say," said Glass, 80, whose son has been an agent for several NBA players. "There's no time factor as far as we're concerned. We'll get it done as soon as we get it done."

Brown had dinner Monday night with Thomas and interim coach Herb Williams, a meeting that Brown described as "positive." Brown had been uneasy about the prospect of displacing Williams as coach.

"That was a huge obstacle for me, not for him," Brown said. "It's not at all anymore."

Brown's wife, Shelly, had been concerned about her husband's health. Brown missed 17 games last season due to a hip replacement operation that led to a bladder problem, and Brown underwent his third surgery in nine months shortly after the Pistons lost Game 7 of the NBA Finals to the San Antonio Spurs.

Doctors at the Mayo Clinic told Brown he needed rest, and he and his wife have decided he'll get enough of it during the next two months before training camp begins.

Brown's two young children also are enthused about the move to New York.

"No one wants this to drag on," Shelly Brown said. "I know everyone's on the same page."

The Knicks' hiring of Brown would come a little more than a week after he parted ways with the Detroit Pistons after two seasons -- both of which ended with trips to the NBA Finals.

Trying to turn the rebuilding Knicks into a winner would be the latest challenge for Brown in a nomadic NBA coaching career that has included stints with the Philadelphia 76ers, Indiana Pacers, Los Angeles Clippers, San Antonio Spurs, New Jersey Nets and Denver Nuggets. Brown also coached collegiately at Kansas and UCLA, and his first professional coaching job was with the Carolina Cougars of the ABA.

Brown was the coach of the 2004 U.S. Olympic team that finished a disappointing third. Part of that roster included Knicks guard Stephon Marbury, who would be reunited with Brown.

New York reportedly is willing to offer Brown a five-year contract worth between $50 million and $60 million.

Still unclear is what role Williams would have with the Knicks under Brown, and which of New York's current assistant coaches might remain with the club.

Williams' head coaching contract expires Sunday, but his assistant coaching contract has another year left. The Knicks finished 33-49 last season and missed the playoffs for the third time in four years.

This won't change the fact they are still cap crippled for a long long time, they have no real low post threat I'm not totally sold on Jerome James and they have too many scorers with Crawford Marbury and Q-Rich. They have a few bright spots in Ariza, Robinson, and possible Frye but this won't make them a contender..

Re: Larry Brown "Offered" Knicks Job

I was watching PTI...and Kornheiser seems to think that after 2 years, Brown will lead the knicks to a 51-55 win season and the playoffs. I mean he has that kind of an effect on teams, but I just can't see that happening with what the Knicks have. They are capped out with a load of unworthy players. Unless Isiah somehow finds out a way to dump all of them (by dealing them for players with 1 or 2 year deals), I don't see how the Knicks will make any progress.

Even by the time LeBron James' contract is up, everyone is saying he'll want to go to NY, but they won't have the money to offer him a MAX contract at this rate! I doubt he'll want to play for Larry Brown anyways.

Larry Brown To Coach Knicks

NEW YORK -- Larry Brown has been offered a contract by the New York Knicks to become the franchise's 22nd head coach, with the New York Times and (New York) Newsday reporting he has accepted the job in principle.

Brown's agent, Joe Glass, had confirmed to the Associated Press earlier in the day Brown had received an offer. Glass was more emphatic in the Times.

"[Brown's] made his decision that he wants to coach the Knicks," Glass told the Times. "Now it's up to the Knicks and myself to come up with an arrangement that works for both parties."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2117399

Re: Larry Brown To Coach Knicks

Didn't you see that I made a post regarding this already? right underneath the one you made?

yea that was my bad i must be high or something...my bad...sad thing is i saw it.

NY should still miss the playoffs. LBrown is a good coach, not a miracle worker. I could *possibly* see them getting a winning record though. Theyve made some decent additions. Larry brown, Q, Jerome James(way overpayed but still a decent player), Nate Robinson, Channing Frye, and David Lee could all help them become at least a competitve team.

np lol this is the thread to talk about how he accepted and mine was for when they offered lol.

Well you guys should be relieved as this officially means he will have no impact on the Cavalier's whatsoever. He is in for a titanic battle to rescue this team, as he done elsewhere.

Heard a little rumour too that he wants Eric Snow. Apparently this will allow him to move Marbury to the two guard spot ala Iverson. The deal would see Snow/Gooden/Sasha for Time Thomas. Thomas has a 14 million dollar ending contract.

The Knicks will never make the playoffs again as long as Isiah Thomas is at the helm. He may have Marbury, but he sucks, he may have Crawford, he sucks too, and now he has Q, he doesn't suck, but he's no where near enough to get the Knicks to respectability.

Bottom line: Knicks suck!

Now the Knicks can lose with a good coach! XD

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."