• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

LeBron James Sign & Trade Possibilities

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 Ball...GOT IT

#CediSZN
Reaction score
I know everyone is totally involved in the playoffs right now, but based on the body language I've seen from LeBron in the first round, as well as the team's overall lack of success, I thought it was worth the team to look a little closer at sign and trade possibilities.

People totally forget about the S&T between the Cavs and Miami when LeBron went there in 2010. Obviously these take agreement from 3 parties rather than 2 like a normal trade, but the fact that CLE/MIA were able to get it done back then with all of the vitriol at the time indicates it wouldn't be a problem this time.

So the question is, where would LeBron go, and what could the return be? Houston and Philly are the top two scenarios certainly imo. Now with the MIA-CLE S&T back in 2010, Miami already had the cap space I believe to accomplish the trade without sending any outgoing salary. The Cavs just received a huge trade exception & picks. Houston on the other hand is already capped out. Now I'm not super familiar with the CBA particulars in a S&T because they're so infrequent, but I would imagine it'd be just like a normal trade in which HOU would have to send out enough salary that the incoming salary is no more than 125% + $100K of what they're receiving. It's confusing when written, but that's the rule.

So let's break down that figure. A max contract for a player with 10+ years experience is 35% of the salary cap. The NBA just released a memo to teams stating that the projected preseason 2018-19 salary cap will stay the same at $101 million. That sets LeBron's max contract at roughly $35 million. So to make a long story short, Houston must send out $28.4 million according to my math.

Eric Gordon $13.5 million + Ryan Anderson $20.4 million = $33.9 million

Looking at Houston's roster, there's not any other logical makeup of salaries that can yield the needed $28.4 million. Now this trade doesn't make sense from a Cavs perspective, but keep in mind that Dan Gilbert will probably want to go on a vengeance tour if we lose LeBron, and avoid another 2010-11 season. At the same time the Cavs would certainly be able to get draft compensation for taking on salaries for 2019-20 as well (the combo makes $35 million that season as well).

Houston's future draft assets are better than you'd expect. Beyond the 2018 draft (this agreement of course would all take place after the draft), Houston has all of its picks except for their 2019 second rounder. Given Altman's negotiating in the past (see Isaiah Thomas deal), I would imagine the Cavs could end up receiving multiple firsts in this sort of deal. Keep in mind that a Houston first will be in the 28-30 range.

The next most likely scenario is Philadelphia. Philly has a lot more cap space to work with. If they renounce rights to all of their upcoming free agents, as well as trading away Jerryd Bayless' salary, they will have just enough cap space to get to the needed $35 million. This coming draft can throw a small wrench into things as well, which I will mention in a minute. The Cavs would take on Bayless' salary in order for Philly to create the needed room and would also receive draft compensation. The strength of Cleveland's ability to negotiate draft picks will be solely based on Philly's chances of moving Bayless elsewhere in a similar deal.

I would imagine that Philly sought deals to dump Bayless at the deadline, and were likely unsuccessful. There are very few teams who can take Bayless into cap space this summer without sending any salary back. This could certainly work into the Cavs' favor. Philly still has all of its own future draft assets, and some future seconds from other teams. Now, Philly has also received a 2018 first round pick from the LA Lakers (which has an 87% chance to become the 10th pick). First round rookies are on a set scale amount for their salaries. The 10th pick will earn just under $3 million in his first season. That's an additional $3 million less of cap space. Their own pick at 26th will earn $1.4 million. It's a tight squeeze, and there's a chance that they could offer up one of these selected players in a S&T as well.

Hopefully I haven't lost everybody... but according to my math and the projections I've pulled from another source, the 76ers would come up just short of being able to create a max slot for LeBron if they were to renounce all pending FA's and move Bayless's salary. However, the amount they'd need is so small that LeBron could take just a $1 million pay cut and make things work.

So taking a step back, the Cavs were able to receive 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders in exchange for LeBron in the Miami Heat S&T in which they had almost no negotiating leverage. Albeit slight in the Philly scenario, the Cavs do have some leverage.

If LeBron does choose to go elsewhere, the Cavs should be in a MUCH better scenario than in 2010.

Last edited:
It is also worth mentioning that Philadelphia could also do what the Cavs did in the 2015 NBA draft under David Griffin. They can avoid adding an additional locked in rookie contract with the 26th pick simply by trading out of the first round, and taking a Euro stash in the second.

Similarly in 2015, the Cavs needed to save money. They had the 24th pick and could not afford to add that locked in salary to their books. They traded down to 31 with Minnesota and selected Cedi Osman. The net effect was an acquisition in talent, but added $0 to their books for the current year.

If I'm Philadelphia I would attempt to employ a similar strategy with their 26th pick. By my math this would allow them to get up to the $35 million needed in cap space to sign LeBron outright themselves. However, this is an extremely weak International draft class.

Nope, not interested in helping LeBron leave. I don't care what the return is, it won't be even close to worth it. He's gonna have to leave on his own.

Philadelphia wouldn't have much of an issue packaging Bayless and the 26th pick together in a salary dump. This would give them the cap space to sign LeBron without much effort. It's not up to the Cavs unfortunately.

Philadelphia wouldn't have much of an issue packaging Bayless and the 26th pick together in a salary dump. This would give them the cap space to sign LeBron without much effort. It's not up to the Cavs unfortunately.
I'm aware of that. I just don't care. I'm not trading him.

If LeBron is leaving, and the team he's going to is willing to give the Cavs something in return, it would basically be organizational malpractice to say no.

Would trade him to the Rockets for Clint Capela and any picks they can trade.

If LeBron is leaving, and the team he's going to is willing to give the Cavs something in return, it would basically be organizational malpractice to say no.

Yep. Basically your options are

a) lose LeBron for nothing, or

b) lose LeBron. Receive possibly two first rounders and more. Take on Jerryd Bayless' $8.5 million for next season.

If Dan was willing to do it in 2010, he sure as shit will be willing to do it now after getting a championship. He's no dummy.

This is another scenario I didn't mention. Capela is a RFA. Again, with Houston well over the cap, they will need to send out quite a bit of salary. With the salary cap climate this coming offseason there is no chance that he will get up to the needed amount in outgoing $. They would have to pair him with Ryan Anderson most likely. I do not believe that Houston would part with Capela over Eric Gordon either, even though I think Gordon is one of the most underrated players in the league.

I doubt they'd move Capela, but if they would, yeah, sign me up.

Even if they wouldn't, I'd ask for first rounders in 2022 and 2024, with pick swap rights in 2021 and 2023.

I doubt they'd move Capela, but if they would, yeah, sign me up.

Even if they wouldn't, I'd ask for first rounders in 2022 and 2024, with pick swap rights in 2021 and 2023.

They have very few, if any, ways of getting LeBron on their team without trading Capela.. I don't think they'd hesitate if it meant getting James on their team though. They'd be the best team in the league.

I mean sure i'd take Capela but Houston is not going to trade him. He's becoming a star.

They have very few, if any, ways of getting LeBron on their team without trading Capela.. I don't think they'd hesitate if it meant getting James on their team though. They'd be the best team in the league.

I guess. I think it'll depend on what happens with the Rockets in the playoffs.

With the current state of the salary cap environment & the devaluing of bigs, there's a VERY good chance that Houston locks up Capela on a below market price deal. That'll make it even less likely they'd move him. Morey isn't an idiot, he will play hard-ball with Capela if needed.. he doesn't want a Tristan Thompson scenario lol.

They'd 100% be looking to just get off of the Anderson/Gordon #s

They'd 100% be looking to just get off of the Anderson/Gordon #s
Absolutely and to me, that shit isn't worth a couple of early 2021/2022 picks.

LeBron wants to go to Houston then we refuse to deal and watch those fucks scramble all over trying to make it work.

It simply can't work without a S&T, so to me that leaves just Philly or L.A. (the latter far less likely) as the only reasonable destinations outside Cleveland.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."