• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Marvin Williams and Sean May to Enter 2005 NBA Draft

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bonafide

I'm Back
Reaction score
Inside sources, close to the North Carolina program, informed NBADraft.net Tuesday morning that UNC forwards Marvin Williams and Sean May will both enter the 2005 NBA draft.

The talented forward duo helped UNC capture the 2005 NCAA title, their first since beating Michigan's Fab Five in 1993, and coach Roy Williams first ever.

May, a junior, earned tournament MVP honors scoring 26 points and 7 rebounds in the title game against Illinois, and averaged 22.3 points, and 10.6 rebounds over the tournament.

On the year, May averaged 17.5 points and 10.7 boards.

Williams, a freshman, averaged 11.3 points, 6.6 rebounds and shot 43% from 3 in 22 minutes per game as the team's sixth man.

Marvin thought long and hard about returning for his sophomore season, his family even inquired about the impending age rule with the NBA, but in the end decided it was too much to risk with a guaranteed spot in the top 3-5 picks in the draft.

Full Story

Im glad this happened, because now hopefully Chris Paul will fall deeper into the draft and go to the Lakers that is what I am hoping. I think Marvin Williams will go number one overall followed by May then Boguts that my predicition right now for top three. Based on talent.

I doubt Paul is going to fall any deeper than 3rd for right now. Charlotte will pick him up in a heartbeat. May will most likely fall in between 5th-15th based on personal opinion.

Last edited:
Bonafide said:
I doubt Paul is going to fall any deeper than 3rd for right now. Charlotte will pick him up in a heartbeat.
Yes that is true, but I think that his size will be a question for some teams which may have him over looked judging by talent I would say he is top 5. I sure hope the Bobcats don't take him he is my favorite player in the draft, and hope he is put in a situation where the team recieves more attention then the Bobcats.

Pure Skillz said:
Yes that is true, but I think that his size will be a question for some teams which may have him over looked judging by talent I would say he is top 5. I sure hope the Bobcats don't take him he is my favorite player in the draft, and hope he is put in a situation where the team recieves more attention then the Bobcats.

I don't think height would be a big issue..he is p4p the best PG in the whole draft class next to Felton and wether Brevin Knight may or may not be there next season, Paul would be a smart choice. On top of that Paul is a Carolina native which would allow him to be closer to home and also fill in ALOT more seats in the arena with his amazing PG play.

How bad does North Carolina feel right now they have lost three key players so far. Felton will probably enter to so that means three starters and there best bench player are gone.

Marvin didnt show me anything in college to make me believe he is a top five pick.

I dont know what he is smoking to make him think that either.

1. Andrew Bogut
2. Marvin Williams(even though hes garb)
3. Chris Paul

I hope Raymond Felton goes to the Lakers and they get Dijon Thompson in the 2nd round.

For the Clippers it all depends on what Jaric and Simmons do.

Someone please explain to me why Marvin would go so high? He didnt wow anybody at UNC, 11 PPG? He was surrounded by mad talent, if he was the #2 pick he should have atleast gotten 20 PPG.

I dont think this kid has any talent at all, just another over hyped potential kid. He didnt do anything in college and he choked like a lynch throughout the entire NCAA tourney.

His size has impressed a lot of NBA scouts and they think he can be a future NBA super star when put in the right situation. Your right he was surrounded by super stars which explains why he only averaged 11 points being a freshman on a team with Mccants, May, Felton, there are only a certain number of shots to go around.

correct if i'm wrong but do we have a chance of gettin' 1 of those players yah jus named..preferably sean mays.

A Mac aka The Truth said:
Someone please explain to me why Marvin would go so high? He didnt wow anybody at UNC, 11 PPG? He was surrounded by mad talent, if he was the #2 pick he should have atleast gotten 20 PPG.

I dont think this kid has any talent at all, just another over hyped potential kid. He didnt do anything in college and he choked like a lynch throughout the entire NCAA tourney.

Potential man all potential. Marvin is nasty. I watched and followed him when he was in 11th grade, think of him as the 2005 Draft's Luol Deng. One year in school, straight to the NBA.

A Mac aka The Truth said:

alot of it is potential, some of it is attitude. this was a player that was going to go straight to the nba but chose not to. scouts look at him accepting the role to come off the bench. but really it is all about what this player can become. if pro scouts seem to think that he will be the best pro out of the players that was on unc this year, who am i to disagree. mays frame is to big and for that he might be the next tractor traylor.

again though i am like you williams did not "wow" me this year. he was a solid role player for the tarheels and will be a solid role player in the nba. imo.. for that i dont know why people have him going so high.

Loul Deng actually put up good stats though.

If he was so good, he would have been a starter and been able to take shots away from the other guys..

He may have potential to be a great player, but I wouldnt draft him.

Whoever drafts May will be very dissapointed as well, he has no game outside of the block, is undersized and will get man handled in the NBA.

But he was playin behind May, MaCants and Felton. Its kinda hard to be a freshman and start behind those kind of players.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."