• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Matt Barnes

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 Ball...GOT IT

#CediSZN
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 3m3 minutes ago
To be clear on Barnes: Only $1M of his salary is guaranteed for next season if he's waived by July 1. Otherwise, Charlotte owes him $3.5M.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 3m3 minutes ago
It is unlikely Charlotte keeps Barnes, who'll become a free agent.

Sounds like Matt Barnes could be a possible FA target this offseason, with Charlotte likely to waive him. Either way, we will know by July 1.

Could be wrong on this, but we could use our MLE on him. With the 3% annual MLE increase, that's a $3.376 million exception for teams over the tax apron.

He was on schedule to make $3.542 million next season, so it wouldn't be much of a pay cut (In addition, he would still be getting the $1 million guaranteed from Charlotte if they waived him from his previous contract). At 35 years old I'd imagine he's willing to come off the bench for a team of our level.

This obviously also depends on which direction the Cavs go in the draft. Taking a player like Justin Anderson at 24 all but eliminates Barnes as a possibility with the other needs we have.

I don't believe there are any other exceptions that can be used for Barnes, since the bi-annual exception was eliminated for luxury tax teams in the latest CBA.

Matt loves warm weather. His kids are young and love California.

I'd expect him to retire if he can't get on another Cali team Or Phoenix roster.

This guys only plays in Cali. Look to find him back on one of the other three teams there.

We need to get younger tho, esp on the wings so I would pass on him.

Barnes will be 35 next season and was absolutely horrid for the Clippers in the postseason this year.

Decent defender and athleticism for his age. Kind of a prick. Hits the three ball alright.

However, I'm not really looking for this club to try to bring a ton of other veterans on to the team. I'd take a solid pass on him unless he'll come for the vet min.

Somewhat interesting. He'll turn 36 in March, and I just doubt he gets mini MLE type money at this point in his career. This contract with the Clippers was really the best of his career, and he has often played on minimum contracts. I wouldn't offer him more than the minimum at this point, if that.

All his numbers were down last year, except for his shooting numbers. I think maybe we have had enough aging wings. Now if he were a couple of years younger, it would be different.

Brief background based off memory. Chris Grant tried to sign him in the post-LeBron period, either 2010 or 2011. He signed elsewhere for less money.

But in the summer of 2009, there were rumors he was interested in signing with the Cavs, but they decided to sign Jamario Moon and Anthony Parker instead. As I recall, Barnes ended up signing for the vet minimum with Orlando that year (and ended up starting and playing a major role on that SVG team).

Spencer Hawes is also interesting, for different reasons. He's a guy I identified as a longshot candidate for the Haywood contract, since it seemed clear that Doc was going to want to dump him. This trade is just further proof that Doc Rivers will pretty much take anyone on his team, especially an Eastern Conference player that once played well,or at least once had a good game, against his Boston teams.

Somewhat interesting. He'll turn 36 in March, and I just doubt he gets mini MLE type money at this point in his career. This contract with the Clippers was really the best of his career, and he has often played on minimum contracts. I wouldn't offer him more than the minimum at this point, if that.

All his numbers were down last year, except for his shooting numbers. I think maybe we have had enough aging wings. Now if he were a couple of years younger, it would be different.

Brief background based off memory. Chris Grant tried to sign him in the post-LeBron period, either 2010 or 2011. He signed elsewhere for less money.

But in the summer of 2009, there were rumors he was interested in signing with the Cavs, but they decided to sign Jamario Moon and Anthony Parker instead. As I recall, Barnes ended up signing for the vet minimum with Orlando that year (and ended up starting and playing a major role on that SVG team).

Spencer Hawes is also interesting, for different reasons. He's a guy I identified as a longshot candidate for the Haywood contract, since it seemed clear that Doc was going to want to dump him. This trade is just further proof that Doc Rivers will pretty much take anyone on his team, especially an Eastern Conference player that once played well,or at least once had a good game, against his Boston teams.

Would be almost exactly $1.5 million a season. Would he take that along with the much smaller role? I still think someone would be willing to give him more than the minimum.

Matt Barnes is exactly what Matrix was supposed to be. A vet with plenty of experience and could not just be a back-up for LeBron but also play with him. He is still a good defender and a decent three-point shooter. Also, he is someone who gets under the nerves of the opposition player. Is always a good bonus thing to have. Having said that, I expect someone like Warriors or Knicks to snap him up.

I think he would be a tremendous fit as a 12 minute per game back up to LeBron. He can also be a floor spacer out there with LeBron. I know he's old, but the good thing about that is that we can afford him. He does seem to like to play in warm weather, but the chance to play for a title might be enough to lure him.

For everyone writing him off, who do you have in mind as a better backup to LBJ?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."