• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Meditation, mindfulness, consciousness

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

David.

Radical Centrist
Reaction score
All domains seem to be gaining popularity. Psychologists and wchools are pushing it. And the spiritual components aren't necessary and are just.. boring. This has scientifically proven benefits and can be done in a secular way.

They're really complex topics and take a considerable amount of time and effort to learn. It can be simplified though.

We get lost in thought all day long. 4/5 thoughts are negative and we feel worse letting them wander than when we are focused. We let one thought bloom and hours later we're still focused on the dipshit that cut us off.

None of this is necessary. After the initial reaction we have to make an effort to KEEP ourselves mad by thinking those thoughts. You could just let it go .

By noticing we are thinking and then focusing on a sensation like our breathing we are turning off our amygdala and turning on our insula.it flexes that muscle that reduces cortisone

Anyways there's an app called headspace that teaches it very practically and simply and guides you through meditating in three and five and ten minute increments. Strongly suggest trying it. I'm a fewv weeks in and I can really see a difference in handling situations and emotions

Last edited:
I cannot think of a better product at the moment. So many people could benefit from better mental health and here it is. I know y life would be different had I had this earlier. All those hours of imprisonment in anger, stress, impatience, non acceptance.. this is hours and hours of wisdom.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS76mK58urI&feature=youtu.be

Marcus Aurelius

The big brain on Adam!

All domains seem to be growing in interest. Psychologists and wchools are pushing it. And the spiritual components aren't necessary and are just.. boring. This has scientifically proven benefits and can be done in a secular way.

They're really complex topics and take a considerable amount of time and effort to learn. It can be simplified though.

We get lost in thought all day long. 4/5 thoughts are negative and we feel worse letting them wander than when we are focused. We let one thought bloom and hours later we're still focused on the dipshit that cut us off.

None of this is necessary. After the initial reaction we have to make an effort to KEEP ourselves mad by thinking those thoughts. You could just let it go .

By noticing we are thinking and then focusing on a sensation like our breathing we are turning off our amygdala and turning on our insula.it flexes that muscle that reduces cortisone

Anyways there's an app called headspace that teaches it very practically and simply and guides you through meditating in three and five and ten minute increments. Strongly suggest trying it. I'm a fewv weeks in and I can really see a difference in handling situations and emotions

Mediation is very helpful for many people. A couple friends coped with their PTSD in this manner.

Meditation and prayer have similar effects.. Mindfulness I have not found particularly helpful..

So slow down a hot minute, think about your life, surprisingly, this make your life better...

I really like the aspect of mindfulness that challenges people to be curious in times of crisis and examine their default physical and emotional responses. I've found it really useful when dealing with high stress times at work

Meditation and prayer have similar effects.. Mindfulness I have not found particularly helpful..

So slow down a hot minute, think about your life, surprisingly, this make your life better...
I prefer rationalizing situations away too but mindfulness has its place.

Regulation of stress is huge and deciding which thoughts are useful is fantastic, and much easier to do from a place of mindfulness. Being aware of consciousness while walking around all day is a great tool because shit happens in between meditation sessions

Marcus Aurelius is my personal guru. You will ALWAYS get a "Like" from me when posting something from him.
Might finally get the golden penis then after all these years then. i was in Rome on vacation last week and it had some incredible Aurelius artifacts. My favourite is a giant bronze statue at the capital building

Very cool thread topic @David. I feel like mindfulness and meditation are not talked about nearly enough, but there is an absurd amount of scientific data backing up its positive effects. I can't say that I have too much hands on experience using it myself. But one of my best friends was into heavy drugs and I honestly thought he would never recover - rehab did nothing for him - and he pretty much did recover entirely just by going to various meditation retreats around the world. He is like a totally different person now (back to how he was pre-drugs but so much happier and calmer) and it's been utterly remarkable. Through him, I've been exposed to other people who frequently practice meditation and I'm always floored by how content and at peace they seem.

Very cool thread topic @David. I feel like mindfulness and meditation are not talked about nearly enough, but there is an absurd amount of scientific data backing up its positive effects. I can't say that I have too much hands on experience using it myself. But one of my best friends was into heavy drugs and I honestly thought he would never recover - rehab did nothing for him - and he pretty much did recover entirely just by going to various meditation retreats around the world. He is like a totally different person now (back to how he was pre-drugs but so much happier and calmer) and it's been utterly remarkable. Through him, I've been exposed to other people who frequently practice meditation and I'm always floored by how content and at peace they seem.
It's just an entirely new world.

You learn about your mind.. thoughts , emotions, the like. Especially for people with drug issues it's particularly beneficial as emotional regulation is a common issue for us.

Theres just so much to it. Like my current project is accepting emotions rather than pushing them away and just being ok with them, and to choose which thoughts and emotions are beneficial to actually experience and explore . Those are almost in contradiction to each other but when you're giving an honest to goodness effort on this concepts, they're miles apart and both concepts that will really benefit you

You're stuck in your mind wherever you go. Forever, until youre gone. Doesn't it make sense to master it? We all let it work against us rather than learning to work with it and work for us

Last edited:
Forwarding Headspace to my little brother, thanks David-- he's been dealing with bouts of depression and self-esteem issues.

I've been living this way for a while. Positive thinking, throw away the negative thoughts, focus on breathing, etc. I feel great all of the time, and it most likely helped push me to make the decision to leave my last career- which was just full of negativity and stress 24/7. Life does not have to be this way and do not let society tell you otherwise.

Love this topic. I'm far from a guru on the topic, but I try to incorporate mindfulness and meditation into my own life, and in much of my counseling work with clients (my population: college students). Some apps I'd encourage checking out are Headspace and Stop, Breathe & Think. Some books would be "Wherever You Go, There You Are" by Kabat-Zinn, "Meditation Illuminated" by Rains. Or if you don't have time to dive into an app or book, YouTube or TedTalk search for anything by Andy Puddicombie or Kabat-Zinn.

Forwarding Headspace to my little brother, thanks David-- he's been dealing with bouts of depression and self-esteem issues.

I've been living this way for a while. Positive thinking, throw away the negative thoughts, focus on breathing, etc. I feel great all of the time, and it most likely helped push me to make the decision to leave my last career- which was just full of negativity and stress 24/7. Life does not have to be this way and do not let society tell you otherwise.
You really see the benefit when you've worked yourself into a knot all day, go through a five or ten minute guided session and feel your asshole unpucker. Everything is different then. And you can preemptively attack this stuff by being meta aware of your mind

Hope he likes it, hope you continue finding the benefits yourself

I have been practicing mindfulness/meditation/stress-reduction techniques for over 2 years now. Combined with a few other drastic changes in lifestyle habits, it isn't far-fetched to say I am almost a completely different person than I was at the start of 2016 (all for the better, of course). I attribute a large portion of the positive changes I've seen in my life to these techniques. I recommend them to anyone who will listen.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."