• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Name Your Surprise Teams for 2018

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I'll kick us off:

American League - Minnesota Twins

I know...they were a Playoff team last year, so maybe they don't qualify as a surprise team. But I think they'll reach the postseason again, and I expect them to push the Indians until the final weeks of the season.

Their projected lineup is solid:

2B-Dozier
1B-Mauer
3B-Sano
DH-Morrison
CF-Buxton
LF-Rosario
SS-Polanco
RF-Kepler
C-Castro

The rotation has Berrios, Odorizzi, Gibson, Mejia, and Duffey. They've been rumored to be targeting another starter, which would really solidify that rotation. Michael Pineda is also a possible option in the 2nd half.

The bullpen is solid, featuring Fernando Rodney, Addison Reed, Trevor Hildenberger, and Zach Duke.

They'll benefit from beating up on the Tigers, White Sox, and Royals, just as the Indians will.

As for my National League surprise team, I'm going with the Mets.

The lineup, is healthy, is a good one:

2B-Cabrera
3B-Frazier
LF-Cespedes
RF-Bruce
1B-Gonzalez
C-d'Arnoud
SS-Rosario
CF-Lagares

The rotation will feature Syndergaard, DeGrom, and three of Vargas/Harvey/Wheeler/Lugo/Matz/Gsellman.

The bullpen features Ramos, Familia, Swarzak, and Blevins and should be solid as well.

They have a ton of health question marks, but if they can keep the rotation in tact and on the field I think they could push for a Wild Card.

I've got my eye on the Angels. They were in the Wild Card hunt but faltered down the last 2 weeks or so. Added Ohtani, Cozart, Kinsler, and will have a full year of Justin Upton. Their pitching staff as a whole is still pretty underwhelming.

Milwaukee was also in the hunt down the stretch and added Yelich and Cain. Will be interesting to see if they can still add one of the top starters still available. Giants with their additions will be interesting to watch with a healthy Bumgarner and if Cueto has a bounce back year.

Call me crazy, but the Phillies are looking good to me right now. The whole NLE outside of the Marlins really is intriguing.

I hope this is the year the M's breakout but I doubt it. Between Texas, Houston and LA, too much talent there for them to beat.

Amherst took my NL team, the Phillies. I think they sign one of these FA starters and surprise some folks. They stole away a fantastic 1B on an excellent deal, added to a young lineup that can only get better. Their Cs have imo the best group of facial hair of all receiver groups, too. Just enough things to like about them. I wanted to rank the Mets here, since they added a game changer in Micky Callaway, but I like the Phillies just a bit more. Watch Micky light a fire under that staff and have them right back in the hunt, tho...

I'm also going to go with the Twins as a 'surprise', because no one seems to realize what they did last year was the tip of the iceberg. Chiseling in the Tribe as the division champ is a mistake, these guys are going to make it tough. Their young hitters are just going to keep getting better, and like the Phillies if they can add one of these remaining starters at a bargain rate, they will take another step forward. I don't even think losing Sano would derail any of this- I can see Kepler, Rosario, Buxton and that SS guy taking steps forward and filling that void. Plus they got a backup OFer named Granite. I can see the Twins continuing to outplay expectations.

AL. Mariners (as in make the playoffs)
NL. Rockies (as in win the World Series)

Oakland Athletics

I think they'll end up with one of the best lineups in the AL this year, but their pitching staff if highly questionable. Not even sure if they'll make the playoffs, but I'm pegging them for a winning record, and WC contention which is more than most think they can do.

Even numbered year. Give me the Giants with resurgences from Longoria and McCutchen because the shitty bay area fans deserve another contender.

I agree with the OP. I think the Twins are going to be really good. I think they just signed Lance Lynn today, but I could be wrong. Their hitting will continue to impress, very deep. Their staff is nowhere near what the tribe has and as such, will end up double digit games behind the tribe. Just like last season, the Twins could sneak in as a wild card.

f Mickey C straightens out the Mets staff, they could return to the playoffs as well.

With the season winding down thought it'd be fun to look back at this thread along with our bold predictions thread

Even numbered year. Give me the Giants with resurgences from Longoria and McCutchen because the shitty bay area fans deserve another contender.

Welp. They're currently 12 games under and McCutchen isn't on the team anymore.

Longoria is having a down year: .245 BA, .703 OPS, 16 HR, 1.8 WAR

McCutchen with San Fran wasn't a whole lot better: .255 BA, .772 OPS, 15 HR, 2.1 WAR

Lot of disappointing seasons on that squad now that I'm looking at it: Panik, Belt, Pence... Bumgarner and The Shark have both missed a lot of time.

I'll kick us off:

American League - Minnesota Twins

I know...they were a Playoff team last year, so maybe they don't qualify as a surprise team. But I think they'll reach the postseason again, and I expect them to push the Indians until the final weeks of the season.

Their projected lineup is solid:

2B-Dozier
1B-Mauer
3B-Sano
DH-Morrison
CF-Buxton
LF-Rosario
SS-Polanco
RF-Kepler
C-Castro

The rotation has Berrios, Odorizzi, Gibson, Mejia, and Duffey. They've been rumored to be targeting another starter, which would really solidify that rotation. Michael Pineda is also a possible option in the 2nd half.

The bullpen is solid, featuring Fernando Rodney, Addison Reed, Trevor Hildenberger, and Zach Duke.

They'll benefit from beating up on the Tigers, White Sox, and Royals, just as the Indians will.

As for my National League surprise team, I'm going with the Mets.

The lineup, is healthy, is a good one:

2B-Cabrera
3B-Frazier
LF-Cespedes
RF-Bruce
1B-Gonzalez
C-d'Arnoud
SS-Rosario
CF-Lagares

The rotation will feature Syndergaard, DeGrom, and three of Vargas/Harvey/Wheeler/Lugo/Matz/Gsellman.

The bullpen features Ramos, Familia, Swarzak, and Blevins and should be solid as well.

They have a ton of health question marks, but if they can keep the rotation in tact and on the field I think they could push for a Wild Card.

Nailed it

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."