• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

NBA Lockout starting to become very likely?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bonafide

I'm Back
Reaction score
I was watching ESPN last night when they were talking about how a lockout next season may very likely happen..lets pray that this doesn't happen..I can't go through a year without NBA Basketball..just can't do it.

MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

I can't stand not watching the Cavs now, let alone an ENTIRE YEAR!

It is starting to seem very likely, but it can still be avoided I think. And honestly after seeing whats happening to hockey i dont think David Stern would let that happen.

David Stern and the players know they cant have alockout.

They have seen what happened to the NHL, two lockouts in ten years, Id never buy another ticket again.

Selfish assholes. You make millions, what the hell do you have to complain about?

Man, it would really suck if there was a lockout. Hopefully they can get it all worked out in time.

Basketball is only now finally starting to win back fans from the previous lockout. Lets just cross our fingers and sanity prevails.

Life is a power struggle. The owners want more demands to be met and some just want the status quo to continue. It's a battle of wills.

Between that fight that happened and if there is a lock out............i dont think to many people would return to being a NBA fan....

players don't seem to realize that its not only about money but when little kids see the nba or any sport gets locked out.Im 16 but i would be hurt to see a lockout,how would kids understand this?they would then think its all about the money even though it usually is but little kids shouldnt know that.

Based on my gut feeling, there will be no lockout. As someone stated above, Stern isn't stupid enough to do it because the fans have increased recently since the Jordan days.

If there is no basketball next season, I will have nothing to look forward to sportswise for the entire year of 2005-2006. I don't watch baseball, and I don't watch football. They better not lock out. :thumbdown:

They better not lock out.. I need to see the Cavs next year.. I love for the Cavs. Plus no NBA = this forum :thumbdown

It isn't only Stern that will determine a lock out. The Union and owners were close to a deal before this latest crap. A lock out would be bad for the Cavs.

And by the way, what is this Hockey thing you guys talk about? We don't have that in Columbus...

And by the way, what is this Hockey thing you guys talk about? We don't have that in Columbus...

Are you sure you're from Columbus? NHL added the Bluejackets only a few years ago. They suck, but they're still the only pro team in C-Bus

And I agree with Inf. There probably won't be a lockout. Players are getting paid enough, perhaps too much in some cases. The NHL had a lockout because the players were getting paid dirt and wanted their value. In the NBA's case, it seems like it's only minor tinkering to the system to avoid exploitation by the players.

NBA labor talks stall after league rejects union offers

By CHRIS SHERIDAN, AP Basketball Writer
June 1, 2005
NBA labor talks stalled Wednesday after a 2 1/2 -hour meeting in New York, less than a month before a lockout would begin.

``All I can say is that we had a meeting, and we don't have anything else scheduled,'' NBA deputy commissioner Russ Granik said.

Players association director Billy Hunter said he outlined a new proposal, then offered to extend the terms of the current seven-year agreement that expires June 30. The league turned both offers down.

ADVERTISEMENT

``It's definitely fair to say the talks have stalled,'' Hunter said. ``They are seeking more concessions off the current deal, and we contend we made major concessions in the last collective bargaining agreement.''

Hunter attended the meeting with union president Michael Curry, secretary-treasurer Pat Garrity and five members of the union's staff. The owners were represented by Granik, commissioner David Stern and four staff members from the league office staff, Hunter said.

Among the issue the sides have failed to reach agreement on are the maximum length of long-term contracts, the size of the annual raises available in those contracts and a possible increase in the minimum age.

``We've tried our best to reach out to them and address their concerns,'' Garrity said.

Stern has said the owners have offered to guarantee that the players receive a 57 percent share of revenues, would raise the salary cap three percentage points -- from 48 to 51 percent of revenues -- and minimize the level at which the luxury tax clicks in, making more money available for salaries.

A lockout would likely begin July 1 if the sides fail to reach an agreement. The league imposed a lockout in July 1998, after the previous deal expired, and the work stoppage lasted 7 1/2 months to force the cancellation of games because of a labor dispute for the first time in league history.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbalabor&prov=ap&type=lgns

Got to get this thing sorted!

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."