• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

NBA's Larry Bird Highlight Video

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Human Q-Tip

Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up!
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Hated Bird at the time, because I hated the Celtics, and it didn't seem like should be able to do what he could do. Only came to appreciate him later, especially after watching a documentary about him. One of my favorite quotes about Bird (I can't remember the origin or the exact words) said that Bird was like Gretzky - he had such great awareness that he knew what his teammates were going to do before they did it. He anticipated. He saw the whole court.

I have often thought about that with regards to life/work - how important it is to see the whole court, to know where your teammates are, and to anticipate their next actions.

Watched it twice back to back. Even when he and McHale - the most lethal weapon I've ever seen in the low post - were beat up and injuries sapped what they were in the early 80s, they would old man game the crap out of our Cavaliers.

there's a lot of paul pierce in his game that's for sure

Just watched it. Got fucking goosebumps. Nice vid. Really nice music editing.

Watched it twice back to back. Even when he and McHale - the most lethal weapon I've ever seen in the low post - were beat up and injuries sapped what they were in the early 80s, they would old man game the crap out of our Cavaliers.

Bird, McHale, and Parrish probably were the best frontcourt ever in their prime. Bird had some of the best hands -- not best handles -- of any player I've ever seen. HIs passes from just wrist-flicking were uncannily accurate, and was as good an interior passer as has played the game.

And you're right about McHale. Every possible low post angle and move imaginable, and ridiculous length. Guy could (almost) tie his shoes without bending over. Fairly skinny build and comparatively narrow shoulders, but I think that actually helped him given his game.

Heh -- just looked up his wingspan, and it said this:

McHale stood 6’10 and was reported to have a colossal wingspan that stretched to 8’0. That would have been a 17% increase on his height. One report claims McHale could tie his shoes without having to bend over.

http://www.thesportster.com/basketball/top-15-most-impressive-wingspans-in-nba-history/

Bird was an amazing athlete in a lot of ways. Sure he wasn't a high flyer like Dr. J but amazing body control/agility for a big dude who stood a full 6'9. Dribbled, shot, and passed like he was Steve Nash but in a power forward frame.

Could you imagine him in a modern NBA offense that have truly realized the value of the 3 ball like a D'Antonio, Warriors, or Lebron team? He could easily be even better in today's league because that jumper's value may not have been truly exploited in the 80's which sounds crazy.

Oh two more things from the video: First, don't think anyone uses ball fakes on the pass as well as Bird. People give the Bird as Austin Carr says on shots but that a trick that's probably underused on passes.

Second storming the court after the title was awesome: I remember watching those as kid and it was just as sweat.

Last edited:
there's a lot of paul pierce in his game that's for sure

Well watching the end part of the Bird retirement I do feel Pierce on this:

Franchise players in Celtic green don't get traded. They collect 11 rings in 13 years, like Russell. They decide when they've had enough, like Cousy, even as Red Auerbach begged him for more. They stake their permanent claim as the dominant prongs of the original Big Three, like Bird and McHale, who retired on their terms, not those of a basketball executive who needs to be thinking about the business -- not the sentiment -- of his team.

Pierce was not presented with the precious option of determining his own fate. This fact stung him; staggered him, actually. Even though he knew it was coming, when the Celtics finally traded him, he was devastated.

When I visited him in New Jersey last summer, on the day he was introduced for the first time as a member of the Brooklyn Nets, he spent most of our interview near tears.

He wondered aloud why he wasn't given the same consideration as Kobe Bryant, the Laker for life who has won five championships for Los Angeles, or Dirk Nowitzki, who became the face of his franchise, the Dallas Mavericks, even though he brought home just one title. Nowitzki was promised by his owner in a public forum that he would never be traded.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."