• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Negative Rep

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
What exactly is the point of this, I'm curious? All I see are people rating posts negatively because they disagree with it, or for no coherent reason at all. And then they never even post something saying how they feel. Just click "Dumb" on a post and move on to the next thread.

What is the purpose of this?

before it gets locked because mgmt feels like we are ganging up on them, I feel like a healthy discussion of the patrons of the board and hearing how they feel about the feature is in order.

I feel like it discourages posting, encourages frustration, allows for lazy posting (or lackthereo) which replaces actual arguments.

I get that it was a social experiment and was interested to see how it panned out, but I think overall the board is better without the negative rep.

I have made quite a few posts about this very subject. I'm definitely not a fan of the new rating system, it is lazy and leads to other forms of trolling.

What exactly is the point of this, I'm curious? All I see are people rating posts negatively because they disagree with it, or for no coherent reason at all. And then they never even post something saying how they feel. Just click "Dumb" on a post and move on to the next thread.

What is the purpose of this?

I just had this exact thing happen to me in the Dion thread.

The whole point of a forum is to have friendly debate and discussion about stuff. If you "like" something it's implied that you agree and not much more needs to be said. But if you "disagree" with something you should explain why.

Before anyone says "Gour said we should do this," this isn't what I was talking about -- but -- I'm happy that the admins decided to at least try something new.

I think rather than scrapping the system entirely we should use a XenForo plugin (it might be what we're using right now) that allows for Troll/Hide Ratings. That's all. Not negative rep per se; but instead, would allow a certain threshold of users to TR/HR a post as something that doesn't meet the standards of the board. This would especially be useful in places like S34.

I don't post as often as I used to since moving to California, but I do think it was a problem before and something that privileged hide ratings would have mitigated.

I can count on both my hands the number of times I've seen "Negative" rep on posts since this has been instituted. I don't think it's remotely an issue that the Mods and Admins should be wasting their time with. Just my two pennies.

I honestly think that they are useful. It's nice for seldom-posting, oft-lurking members like myself -
To be able to mentally sort posts by importance, and as Cavatt mentioned, see how the group views a certain point.

I hated when there was no "Like" during the peak times like the safari and trade deadlines, when there were so many posts, and I couldn't pinpoint the more valued ones. And tbh, posts that get negative ratings usually make me laugh.. So, yeah.

Feel free to disagree! :chuckle:

I honestly think that they are useful. It's nice for seldom-posting, oft-lurking members like myself -
To be able to mentally sort posts by importance, and as Cavatt mentioned, see how the group views a certain point.

I hated when there was no "Like" during the peak times like the safari and trade deadlines, when there were so many posts, and I couldn't pinpoint the more valued ones. And tbh, posts that get negative ratings usually make me laugh.. So, yeah.

I wasn't saying we should get rid of the disagree button. And you actually just did exactly what I hope anyone would do that "disagrees" with a post.

After you clicked "disagree" on my post, you commented on what and why you disagreed.

If that happens, I'm totally fine with keeping it. I just would hope that people wouldn't hit and run on a post so to speak, unless it's just some one line post that is actually "dumb."

Um, you and Max are missing the point.

People are rating posts "Dumb" .. just... because. It is not always an indication that the post is actually bad or of low quality. I've asked legitimate questions and been given negative rep for it. So, your argument that it is "sorting the posts" for you is not valid.

But Max is right- there really is no "downside" to it, since both positive and negative rep really mean nothing. It's just a forum. Thought I'd raise it anyways.

I can count on both my hands the number of times I've seen "Negative" rep on posts since this has been instituted. I don't think it's remotely an issue that the Mods and Admins should be wasting their time with. Just my two pennies.
Well, maybe you don't post or browse nearly as much as other people. I see it multiple times pretty much every time I log on. Not sure discussing forum features is "wasting" anyone's time when you run a board, but okay...I guess...

I want as many negative reps as possible.

Hit me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."