• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Oden, Conley, Cook declare

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Erbium

Get your *** to Mars
Reaction score
Hadn't seen it posted here yet:

The Dayton Daily News reports Ohio State C Greg Oden, G Mike Conley, and G/F Daequan Cook are expected to enter the NBA Draft.

Cook has said publicly that he's leaning towards staying in school, and probably should after seeing his minutes diminish late in the year and during March's NCAA tournament, but AAU coach Albert Powell says "If it's one, it's all of them." The players' families will meet this Sunday in Indianapolis to discuss their apparently collective decision.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=CBB

Very questionable decision by Cook. The team would have been built around him next year. As it is I see him going late first round. If he stayed a year, and the Buckeyes performed, he would have sniffed the lottery.

I think Conley is a bigger loss then Oden. But thats sort of messed up how they pulled the "screw you guys, im going to the league."

I dont see anything screwed up about it. College basketball is a business and people only complain when players do something.

Nobody is crying about all these coaches jumping around.

Just so you know, this doesn't mean they're gone. They can still pull out of the draft, as long as they don't hire an agent. Mike Conley Sr advised them all to declare, to give themselves more time to weigh their options and get a feel for where they would go in the draft. (The deadline to declare comes a few weeks before the dead line to pull out.)

Cook and Conley are expected to pull out. Oden is not, but it's not 100% that he's gone either.

Like Cavsfan89, this was completely expected.

Declaring for and entering the draft are two different animals. If Cook stays in the draft, it would be a huge mistake...the others...notsomuch. Conley's stock is at its highest, but his game is not. That jumper needs to be there to be at the level MC Jr expects to be. Oden is set either way.

Hey no worries, if they leave then hey we got a chance to have some great players at our school which we weren't used to in basketball..and I appreciate that.

If they do come back with our next recruiting class we're going to do some serious damage.

Personally I think they all need to come back, Oden has no offensive game with his back to the basket, he needs to work on positioning and not fouling, he often gets winded quickly so you could say his stamina is a concern.

Conley might be able to make the quickest impact, he reminds me of a Damon Stoudemire, he can shoot he has quick pesky hands and he can get in the lane and create some serious looks for himself and others.

If Cook comes back I still think that we win the Big Ten. We still send out:
PG: Butler, SG: Cook, SF: Lighty, PF: Hunter, C: Koufos

Bench would be Titus and Terwilliger.

Cook needs to come back though. He was showing nothing at this season's end. Was even out of the rotation by tourney's end. He is risking a lot, as he could feasibly fall to round 2 where the $$ is not guaranteed. Another year and he should be a 1st round lock.

I honestly think they should come back. Oden is a monster and will be in the NBA, but their on some things on offense he could smooth out. Conley could round out his game, and Cook still seems raw to me.

All these guys could go into the draft this year and make an impact, but one more year in college would most likely benefit all 3.

There is no reason for Oden to come back, he cant improve much in the NCAA because there are very few quality big men to go against so it is really a waste of time. He can goto the NBA, log major minutes against good big men and improve. To say he should stay in the NCAA to develope doesnt make any sense what so ever because he wouldnt.

Conley and Cook though, both of those guys should stay. They arent ready for the NBA. They may be first round picks, they may not be. I dont think staying is going to hurt them at all, their stock can do nothing but rise.

Oden won't be returning... we should be happy he was there for one year. That would have never happened if the NBA didn't change the rules. His game isn't perfect yet but he will be a difference maker in the NBA immediately. What reason would he have to stay???

^^^Conley can make the same argument. He is the top rated PG now in the draft (surpassing Acie Law, Lawson, Augustine). With PG being a major hole on teams like the Hawks there is no way he falls out of the lottery. I would love for him to stay, but he has nothing left to prove.

I think he contributes right away if he ends up in ATL. Actually, although it would be sh^tty because the hawks are in the East, there are scenarios where the Hawks could win the lottery, keep their pick, draft Oden, and then use the Pacer's pick (from the Harrington trade) and take MC. The Hawks would instantly become scary.

I just hope Cook returns for both his sake and the Buckeyes'.

Erbium said:
^^^Conley can make the same argument. He is the top rated PG now in the draft (surpassing Acie Law, Lawson, Augustine). With PG being a major hole on teams like the Hawks there is no way he falls out of the lottery. I would love for him to stay, but he has nothing left to prove.

I think he contributes right away if he ends up in ATL. Actually, although it would be sh^tty because the hawks are in the East, there are scenarios where the Hawks could win the lottery, keep their pick, draft Oden, and then use the Pacer's pick (from the Harrington trade) and take MC. The Hawks would instantly become scary.

I just hope Cook returns for both his sake and the Buckeyes'.

Nail on the head. Conley and Oden would be lottery, and both the top picks at their position. They could improve their rookie years for next year, but they both eclipsed every personal attribute wanted.

I disagree. He didnt show any signs of dominance. He didnt show that he is a threat.

He put up very average numbers, 11PPG is nothing to hold your breath about.

He shows that he doesnt not have a very reliable jumpshot, shooting very poor from three point range. He has a steady handle, but still can turn the ball over. He doesnt shoot free throws very well. He is very frail. He was not the main feature on offense, you can argue he was the fourth or fifth option.

he had a good tournament run, but as history shows us, people that just show up for the tournament after a very average year, are not safe picks.

I think he will get exposed...I think he will goto the work outs, get exposed a little bit and he will be back. He is not ready.

Id take Law over him every day of the week. He has improved every year on the college level, he has shown he can shoot the ball better and he was a scorer while being a main focus to other teams. He played well in the tourament as well..not great, but he didnt hurt himself either. But with the draft being so thin at PGs, this may be his best chance to get drafted high although he could help himself by staying.

Conley will stay in the draft, just because of the 'buzz' around him from his tourney play. Should he stay and improve his game? Yeah of course but he's getting too much love right now, he should capitalize on his success in the tourney now.

According to DraftExpress they have him slotted in the top 15. Yes it's not totally accurate, it's a mock draft site but they are the best when it comes to it.

I like Law alot as well, as of right now he might be available in the 20's range. Still a long way away, you never know, but sure would be nice to snatch him up.

What the heck happened to Ron Steele?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."