• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Oden planning to attend Ohio St.?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

King

Rookie
Reaction score
Greg Oden plans to play basketball at Ohio State University, a person close to Oden confirmed Thursday.

No immediate announcement is scheduled, but Oden and Lawrence North High School teammate Mike Conley are expected to make oral commitments to the Buckeyes in the near future. Oral commitments are non-binding; the earliest players can sign a national letter of intent is Nov. 9.

Oden and Conley, both entering their senior years, could not be reached for comment Thursday night after playing in the Indianapolis Star Indiana All-Stars exhibition game in Richmond.

Reached by phone Thursday night, Oden's mother, Zoe, said no official decision has been made.

A dominating 7-foot, 245-pound center, Oden this past year joined NBA star LeBron James as the only juniors to be named National High School Player of the Year.

He averaged 20 points, 9.6 rebounds and 3.7 blocked shots in leading the Wildcats to their second straight state championship. In one game, he blocked 18 shots.

Word of Oden's college choice came two days after the NBA changed its rules for the draft, requiring that players need to be at least one year out of high school. Oden -- widely projected as the No. 1 pick in the 2006 draft before the rule change -- has said all along that he wanted to play college basketball, recently narrowing his choices to Ohio State, Indiana, Wake Forest and Michigan State.

Conley, one of the top-ranked point guards in the nation, averaged 10.7 points and five assists for Lawrence North last season. He had narrowed his choices to Ohio State and Wake Forest.

Earlier this month, Oden and Conley took part in the USA Basketball Youth Development Festival in San Diego, Calif.

Shooting guard Daequan Cook, an AAU teammate of Oden's and Conley's from Dayton, Ohio, also heading into his senior year, orally committed to Ohio State this spring.

Source
:yay:

I'm excited. Been missin that OSU postseason. But hey, next year will be great. I'm down.

OSU is supposed to have the #2 class in the Nation this year.

Ive never had a beef with OSU hoops, Redd and Penn was a great time, but if these guys stay OSU might have a nice run.

they are best friends, i read that in a Sports Illustrated so it doesnt surprise me they will go to the same place together, its good to see that Duke or UNC or any other Huge Bball school wont get him.

OSU will most likely have the #1 recruiting class this year. With Conley, Lighty, Cook and Oden already, plus space for 2 more, this class is on the verge of passing the Michigan Fab 5.

Lots of big names seem to be thinking about joining this class. It will be interesting to see who rounds out the class.

UNC has #1 class.

They already have commitments from three of the top 5 players and one other in the top 15.

Yeah the number 1 guy being Tyler Hansborough for them this guy has big big big potential. Duke got McRoberts he will be a stud, as we saw from the dunk and 3 point contests. If Dials was still at OSU i'd be saying NCAA Championship but he was a senior :(

Dials has one year left, but will be gone when Oden and the boys are coming.

Hurl Bruce said:
Dials has one year left, but will be gone when Oden and the boys are coming.

just in time for oj mayo to arrive when dials leaves...

Hurl Bruce said:
Mayo is a guard, Dials is a PF, Center.

was just trying to state that dials(best player on team) will be out the door, mayo will be on his way in. now trying to say mayo was going to play pf.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."