• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

OSU: Big Ten matchups

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Style

Gold Star Member
Reaction score
http://ohiostate.scout.com/2/606159.html

Lots of stuff to like in this one. How about Conley getting 10 assists and ZERO TOs vs a veteran Big Ten team? How about Oden going 9 for 10 from the FT line left handed? If the Hoosiers weren't bagging threes like they were USC song girls, this one would have been a laugher.

This team is still not playing very cohesive team basketball. They're winning games on talent alone. If Matta can keep steady improvement coming, one game, one practice, one play at a time, things could get real interesting.

Next up, road games vs the Illini and Badgers. The young Bucks need to grow up quick. Stay tuned.

Re: OSU wins Big Ten Opener

OSU is now 2-0 in the big ten, this one coming in commanding fashion on the road: http://www.bucknuts.com/news/story.php?article=380

Oden had an off game on the offensive side, and still appeared to completely dominate. He has a Bill Russell-like impact on games with his defense and rebounding.

Style said:
OSU is now 2-0 in the big ten, this one coming in commanding fashion on the road: http://www.bucknuts.com/news/story.php?article=380

Oden had an off game on the offensive side, and still appeared to completely dominate. He has a Bill Russell-like impact on games with his defense and rebounding.

I saw this game, wow what fear did Oden and #45 put into the hearts of the illioni players. Every time they went in their they were scared.

cavincali said:
I saw this game, wow what fear did Oden and #45 put into the hearts of the illioni players. Every time they went in their they were scared.
Yeah, I watched too. He's a man among boys. 15 rebounds! :eek: Honestly, I was shocked that he only had 4 blocks. It seemed like he was rejecting every shot they took. I guess it was b/c if he wasn't getting the block he was forcing them to alter their shots. They did look like they were crapping their pants every time they went in the lane.

OSU falls to 3-1 in the conference: http://bucknuts.com/news/story.php?article=396

Bo Ryan is 40-2 in Big Ten games at home as a Badger, and 12-2 verses top 10 teams. That is unreal. What a great job he's doing. Wisconson is not real talented, they just can't get the big names there, yet he's got tough teams every year.

With that in mind, this was a pretty scrappy performance from the Buckeyes. It was not a good game from Oden, they are still quite obviously not playing cohesive basketball, and they were ice cold at times last night (32% on the game). They were getting good looks, just not putting em down. Yet they had a chance to tie it in the final seconds. (Butler missed a three with time expiring that would have sent it to OT. I'm not talking a half courter either, this was right at the line.) That speaks to the talent this team has.

If Matta can get them to play together, they stay healthy, and they get hot in march, this team could make a LOT of noise. That is three big ifs, but they're all certainly quite possible.

Three losses yes, but all of them on the road in three of the most hostile environments in the country, and two of them were very close. All either without their best player, or with him playing one handed, while learning a new system (which they're no where near having down), and developing team chemistry.

I have to say I'm very pleased. This team is fun to watch RIGHT NOW! With steady improvement and good health, it should only get more interesting. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

eh, still need to beat some better teams to be considered a huge threat...

To OSU's credit, they have lost their 3 biggest games on their opponents home court.

Wisky: Huge home-court advantage, they have some ridiculous home record the past few years

UNC: At the dean dome, enough said

Flordia: Defending champs at their building.

OSU is a young team and it's a difficult task to ask them to win in hostile enviorments so early in the year.

Yup like we have said come march,we will be there and we will scare a lot of teams.

scare who though? IUPUI? fact is...you arent beating the teams that matter, you guys won against number 21 or 22 Tennessee...by like 4 points...the games your supposed to make statements in...you havent made one. if you can beat Wisconsin later this year...then maybe you will be thought of as more of a threat. but right now...this is a sweet 16 team.

Maybe because our damn star is using his off hand and still avg 14ppg,9rpg,and 4bpg.Did we not almost beat UNC at Chapel Hill without Oden even in the lineup?These are young guys,come march you are going to be shut up.

Our star player has a claw for a right hand right now.

We have 2-3 starting freshman every night.

2 of the 3 games against 3 of the top 4 teams in the nation on the road were very close, and we lost them in the final two minutes. All of those teams are much more expierenced. Once these guys get some playing time under their belts we are right back up there with the top teams. Unfortunatly, that may be next year.

UT was 20th when we played them and scouts believed they had top 12 potential.

Oh yeah, did I mention our star player has a cast on his shooting hand? I'm not sure we are a final 4 talent team, it depends on how fast these guys mature.

James 23 said:
scare who though? IUPUI? fact is...you arent beating the teams that matter, you guys won against number 21 or 22 Tennessee...by like 4 points...the games your supposed to make statements in...you havent made one. if you can beat Wisconsin later this year...then maybe you will be thought of as more of a threat. but right now...this is a sweet 16 team.
Those are some tough freaking road games to win with a very young team. Wisky, unc and Flordia are all top 10 teams, all have been in the top 3 this year.

Not every team is va tech and can beat unc and duke in a span of two weeks. Even va tech it took them a year or two to beat those teams, they came awfully close last year.

hbomber20 said:
Not every team is va tech and can beat unc and duke in a span of two weeks. Even va tech it took them a year or two to beat those teams, they came awfully close last year.

Well the reason a team like Tech would have that oppertunity is playing in the ACC which is always one of the better basketball confrences in the nation, so itd be easier for them to pull something off like that. Big 10 Basketball isnt as tough this year as it has in past years, Wisconsin is having a great year, and OSU isnt doing bad, but other then that...your confrence schedule isnt as tough as some of the ACC teams or even SEC teams.

OSU's three best players are freshmen. Take that for what it's worth.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."