• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Parity in the NBA right now is horrible but

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kizzle

All-Star
Reaction score
But let’s be totally unbiased right now. Parity is ruined because the players are teaming up but also because a lot of the owners in the NBA are either flat out shitty, or don’t want to spend or are complacent and as long as they got a star selling tickets don’t care about putting out a championship caliber team.

Too many teams have good players but refuse to attack unrestricted free agency and trades with the hunger that they should. Too many teams see they have a good young player or 2 and stop building after that. I’m looking at Portland, Denver and Minny and teams like them. Teams like that SHOULD be desperately trying to add a piece or 2 to make a championship roster but what have those teams done in free agency or trades? NOTHING. Their rosters are literally one or two pieces away from being where Houston is and they just don’t attack.

The messed up part is these owners are the first to bitch and moan and cry to Adam Silver that the league is unbalanced. Like dude how are you gonna cry when your sitting on a good young roster but refuse to take the risk needed to propel it to contention status. The Knicks are sitting on Porzingus and i think a couple more solid players right now. Why in the hell aren’t they active in UFA, RFA, and trades? Your never ever gonna draft another guy like Porzingas again. It’s time to strike. But hey, why take a risk to put out a better team when New York fans will buy tickets just to see Porzingas? Too many owners have this scary ass punk ass mindset then want to say the league has no parity. No bitch the NBA simply has an over abundance of shitty owners and it’s ruined the product. The reason players want to team up so much is because they don’t trust owners to actually build teams around them so they say screw it I’ll build a super team myself

If you’re an owner and your team has drafted horribly consistently, doesn’t have not 1 bad contract on it, hasn’t made big name trades and is always a lotto team then i don’t want to hear about parity from you. Your just a trash owner. Good owners shouldn’t Be punished because trash conservative owners can’t keep up.

But let’s be totally unbiased right now. Parity is ruined because the players are teaming up but also because a lot of the owners in the NBA are either flat out shitty, or don’t want to spend or are complacent and as long as they got a star selling tickets don’t care about putting out a championship caliber team.

Too many teams have good players but refuse to attack unrestricted free agency and trades with the hunger that they should. Too many teams see they have a good young player or 2 and stop building after that. I’m looking at Portland, Denver and Minny and teams like them. Teams like that SHOULD be desperately trying to add a piece or 2 to make a championship roster but what have those teams done in free agency or trades? NOTHING. Their rosters are literally one or two pieces away from being where Houston is and they just don’t attack.

The messed up part is these owners are the first to bitch and moan and cry to Adam Silver that the league is unbalanced. Like dude how are you gonna cry when your sitting on a good young roster but refuse to take the risk needed to propel it to contention status. The Knicks are sitting on Porzingus and i think a couple more solid players right now. Why in the hell aren’t they active in UFA, RFA, and trades? Your never ever gonna draft another guy like Porzingas again. It’s time to strike. But hey, why take a risk to put out a better team when New York fans will buy tickets just to see Porzingas? Too many owners have this scary ass punk ass mindset then want to say the league has no parity. No bitch the NBA simply has an over abundance of shitty owners and it’s ruined the product. The reason players want to team up so much is because they don’t trust owners to actually build teams around them so they say screw it I’ll build a super team myself

So let’s look at the teams you listed:

Portland is capped out because they attacked free agency in the way you list here and ended up MASSIVELY overpaying the wrong guys (Crabbe, Leonard, Turner specifically).

Minnesota just put a ton of money into Wiggins hoping he’d develop into a franchise cornerstone after making a major move to trade for Jimmy Butler which by all reports is going to blow up in their face.

Denver signed Paul Millsap to a max contract after missing out on other top targets. They’ve also been in on trying to trade for a superstar, but to figure, no superstar on the trade block has been open to signing there long term.

I’m not sure how you can blame the ownership in any of those situations.

Nobody wants any of the Knicks’ shit outside of Porzingas, and they’re also capped out because they “attacked” Joakim Noah and Courtney Lee.

The NBA lacks parity because superstars win in the NBA, and there are only so many superstars and all-stars (and yes, all-stars are supporting cast members now) to go around.

So you want teams to gut themselves to add 1 all-star even though they know that won’t allow them to beat the elite teams with 2+ superstars and more all-stars? Cmon man.

Until there’s either a hard salary cap or a way to limit the number of max salary slots per team, there’s unfortunately never going to be leaguewide parity. There never has been any!

The Raptors just made a move that moves Derozen for basically nothing past this year. So they basically just told Kyle Lowry and the rest of the team screw you. We know we’re one piece away from making finals but we’re tired of paying for Derozen so we’ll willingly trade him for one year of Kahwi and when Kahwi leaves we’ll have an excuse to rebuild.

Too many bad owners in the league

So let’s look at the teams you listed:

Portland is capped out because they attacked free agency in the way you list here and ended up MASSIVELY overpaying the wrong guys (Crabbe, Leonard, Turner specifically).

Minnesota just put a ton of money into Wiggins hoping he’d develop into a franchise cornerstone after making a major move to trade for Jimmy Butler which by all reports is going to blow up in their face.

Denver signed Paul Millsap to a max contract after missing out on other top targets. They’ve also been in on trying to trade for a superstar, but to figure, no superstar on the trade block has been open to signing there long term.

I’m not sure how you can blame the ownership in any of those situations.

Nobody wants any of the Knicks’ shit outside of Porzingas, and they’re also capped out because they “attacked” Joakim Noah and Courtney Lee.

The NBA lacks parity because superstars win in the NBA, and there are only so many superstars and all-stars (and yes, all-stars are supporting cast members now) to go around.

So you want teams to gut themselves to add 1 all-star even though they know that won’t allow them to beat the elite teams with 2+ superstars and more all-stars? Cmon man.

Until there’s either a hard salary cap or a way to limit the number of max salary slots per team, there’s unfortunately never going to be leaguewide parity. There never has been any!
I want teams to be serious about putting out contenders. And if you aren’t serious not to cry about the Warriors or whatever team is doing it right.

There needs to be a hard cap.

There needs to be a way to incentivize players to stay with their drafted teams. Money clearly has diminishing returns as players turn down Supermax’s. So idk what that is

Maybe teams should be capped in terms of how many All NBA players they can offer a contract to. Would prevent dudes like Durant and Cousins from taking under-market deals to join a team that already has three All NBA players.

The Raptors just made a move that moves Derozen for basically nothing past this year. So they basically just told Kyle Lowry and the rest of the team screw you. We know we’re one piece away from making finals but we’re tired of paying for Derozen so we’ll willingly trade him for one year of Kahwi and when Kahwi leaves we’ll have an excuse to rebuild.

Too many bad owners in the league

I want teams to be serious about putting out contenders. And if you aren’t serious not to cry about the Warriors or whatever team is doing it right.

Wait. These two posts completely contradict themselves.

You're on a rant about teams not being "aggressive" in pursuing a roster that can win a championship, and then condemn the Raptors for making a major move for a top 5 player because their current core has been a massive postseason disappointment for, what, 4 years? 5? 6?

This take is just awful, man. You've given no legitimate examples to support something you've concocted in your own mind that has not played out whatsoever in reality.

Maybe teams should be capped in terms of how many All NBA players they can offer a contract to. Would prevent dudes like Durant and Cousins from taking under-market deals to join a team that already has three All NBA players.

One issue I see is that max contracts used to prohibit multiple stars joining one team, but now there are so many loopholes. In 2011, Kobe made $24.8 million and the cap was $58 million. Now in 2018 the cap is $99 million. Great for the league they generate so much more money, but years with massive jumps allow for stars to align with other stars. There is no longer such a thing as a "franchise player" like we saw in the 1980s.

The players' union would absolutely freak out...

With that said, I think this is a great idea, and I would be all for it. It also would force teams to strategically spend money.

Wait. These two posts completely contradict themselves.

You're on a rant about teams not being "aggressive" in pursuing a roster that can win a championship, and then condemn the Raptors for making a major move for a top 5 player because their current core has been a massive postseason disappointment for, what, 4 years? 5? 6?

This take is just awful, man. You've given no legitimate examples to support something you've concocted in your own mind that has not played out whatsoever in reality.
There is no contradiction

This Kahwi trade while good for one year will kill Toronto after year 1. Don’t take this move as anything but a way to shed a contract.

There is no contradiction

This Kahwi trade while good for one year will kill Toronto after year 1. Don’t take this move as anything but a way to shed a contract.

Gotcha.

Teams should only aggressively pursue contenders that can last for massive, long windows.

Boy, you should be a GM. I"m sure none of them have ever thought of doing that!

Like it was said earlier, the NBA thought the answer was giving players more money to stay with their team, and other than Westbrook and Griffin(who ended up getting traded) it really hasn't worked.

Hard cap would probably be the best solution, but I doubt the players agree to anything close to a hard cap or that limits their own control. We saw it with LeBron, we kinda saw it with CP3, PG13, Kyrie, and Kawhi.

The next CBA talks will be an interesting one, because despite the lack or parity, the NBA is still increasing their profits.

Hard cap with no max contract is the true answer if you want parity, and all markets to be able to compete

I have had the theory of preventing players from discounting their previous year's salary by more than a certain %, but that's still ripe for some abuse via contract structuring.

Also, as much as I can't stand Boogie DMC, and as foolish as he was for allegedly turning down the 20-per/2 yr Pels extension, if he supposedly got no other offers besides GS after that [and there are doubts on how this played out,] than it's probably an unfair punishment to have him miss a year altogether/have to play overseas.

[However, both teams and UFAs would change their behavior as a result of the proposed discount rule, in such a way that DMC would likely simply take the Pels extension or something similar that his agent negotiated, and failing that, some team might be more willing to offer a 1 yr contract for much more than the MLE.]

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."