• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Playoff Picture

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Glen Infante

Founder
RCF Honored Elder
Reaction score
Old Playoff Picture Thread

I really haven't been paying attention lately (busy). However I am in the belief that our magic number is still 3 isn't it? We are a half a game ahead of NJ with 2 more games to go (Boston/Toronto). Both of those games, I believe are winnable. We may be able to grind one out there, but it will definatly be with an undesired effort.

We are tied with New Jersey now, however with them holding the tie-break, the Cavaliers presently sit out of the playoffs. The Cavaliers magic number is three, the Nets magic number is two. :eek:

Cleveland has to win out and hope for a Nets' loss in the process. With Jersey playing divinely inspired basketball as of late, counting on them for help is a slim hope at best. Unless the group burns out, it's not going to happen. Jason Kidd is quitely having a tremendous season and the old VC is back (amazing what you can do on the basketball court when you actually try :p).

What does the final schedule look like for NJ? Is there a hair of a chance that we can edge it out?

NJ meets Washington next. Washington still has some fight left in them, they beat us, and even though they almost lost to Charlotte, they squeaked out a win. They're looking to claim the 4th seed over Indiana for home court. They'll put up the biggest fight, we must hope on this game.

After Washington, there is Boston for NJ. Boston has the 3rd seed locked, so they'll just be competing for momentum and keeping NJ out. It'll be interesting how Boston plays this game after playing us.

They lose 1, we win 2, we're still in the playoffs.

Oh god, what a week.

Jeez what dumb luck we have...the 2 other teams fighting for the last spot own the tie-breaker against us. Who would have thought back in January we would be worried about not makin the paly-offs.

lyXo, you mentioned that Boston will only be playing for momentum against New Jersey. Not necessarily. If things play out and Chicago is 4, Washington is 5 and Indiana is 6, Indiana will play Boston in the first round.

Indiana winning is the key for the Cavaliers. If they beat Orlando tonight, and we beat Boston tomorrow, Indiana is one back of Boston with one to play. If Boston comes home and loses to New Jersey and Indiana wins their final game against Chicago, then Indiana and Boston tie with Indiana winning the head-to-head 3-0 this year. That means that Indiana would have home court against Boston in the first round. Indiana winning tonight puts the pressure on both Boston AND Washington. I would love to see Indiana win tonight and us beat Boston. That way, even if New Jersey beats Washington tomorrow, they have to go to Beantown with Boston needing to win for home court advantage.

Sorry for the ramble, but I'm looking for ANY possible scenario to give me more hope. Here's to us winning tomorrow night and Arenas and Hughes lighting up New Jersey. I GUARANTEE if that happens, we will not lose in Toronto!

Top quality rambling like you just did is absolutely acceptable around here. Tons of useful information.

Oops......made a small mistake. Indiana took 2 of 3 from Boston (not all 3 as I posted earlier), but that doesn't change anything. Just want to be accurate. Boston has to win a game to get home court if Indiana wins out.

All we need is a damn win against Boston at home. Win this one and I'm convinced New Jersey will lose one their remaining two games. Frankly, I don't think there that good where they should be winning all these damn games

then after that, Toronto will hand us the playoff spot by sitting all their starters in the fourth quarter to screw Vince :)

It is quite unbelievable to find ourselves with our fate lying in the hands of others. We have to win our final to games, to at least restore what minimal pride we have left. We'll all keep our eyes firmly on the New Jersey boxscores, but I am unfortunately confident that the Nets will win out their final games. They may be playing two teams looking to improve their playoff position (Wizards and Celtics looking to grab home court), but I believe New Jersey fighting for playoff existense, will take care of business.

I cant believe we have put ourselves in this position late in the season. Im so dissapointed that it looks like the cavs have a very slim shot at making the postseason. I really cant see NJ losing another game. They have played with urgency and desperation, while we have only shown flashes of it in stretches. Nj deserves to be in the playoffs over the cavs.

Well, I think it would be good if the Cavs got into the playoffs this year. It would help with the whole attitude of the team. Lebron would be happy to just be there and I am sure other guys like Gooden and Z would too. Plus it would get everyone some good experience. If they do make it. It is almost certainly a first round exit, but it would still be a good thing.

As for me, I just want this season to be over. It has been nothing but high expectations and dissappoinments. I just want the Cavs to make all the changes they need to make and start thinking about next year. This is Cleveland sports though. It is not for the faint of heart. :(

Well, were both 40-40 with 2 games left in the season. How about that? From 4th spot in the Conference and chillin to tied with 8th and potentioly out of the playoffs.

All we have to do is hope NJ losses one, once that happens, then we have a chance. As long as we have a chance, we can do it. I say 42-40 for Cavs and 41-41 for New Jersey... Wow it would suck if we lost at home against the Celtics, that would be sad :(.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."