• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Political threads/forum

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Human Q-Tip

Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been asked to post this discussion thread focused on whether or not we wish to have political discussions here, and if so, what the ground rules will be. There have been some preliminary discussions with board management by @King Stannis that if we can get our collective shit together, such discussions may be permitted again. We just have to stop acting like 6 year olds.

The threads were shut down for a combination of two reasons:

1) people repeatedly whining to moderators and/or Ben about other posters. I personally cannot fathom running to daddy just because someone called me a douchebag, but some of you apparently can.

2) Trolling/name calling by some posters that were dragging threads down.

There are two non-negotiable criteria for a political subforum to exist:

3) The forum must be a closed, invite-only forum. That will make banning someone from that forum much easier, and give us a chance to protect ourselves from trolls. New people could be added based on consensus.

4) There will be one moderator -- and everyone who participates on the forum must agree to take any issues to him only, and no running to Ben or to anyone else under any circumstances. @jking948 has been approached and has agreed to do it. He's a very even-tempered and open-minded guy willing to listen to everyone. If people have concerned about how the forum will be moderated -- and I do as well -- this is the thread to get this stuff out in the open and discuss it.

People can be very passionate about their political/social beliefs, and there's a reason people say that politics and religion shouldn't be discussed at family gatherings. But people should exercise at least some restraint, and others need to develop thicker skins. And all have to agree that whining to the site ownership if something about the new forum upsets them is something you agree not to do if you participate.

We need to know who is willing to buy into this, and comments/questions/concerns. So...have at it. Needless to say, acting like a douche in this thread probably isn't a good idea.

ETA: I know that because of Ben's recent edict, there have been requests to ban people who are still trying to discuss politics. I'd ask that we all let that go, and instead focus on this thread and the terms under which such threads may be permitted again.

I am very well aware of the concern by some that the threads were deliberately sabotaged by people who think any defense of Trump is unacceptable. Again, this is the thread to hash all that stuff out, and to figure out the parameters of a new forum. I personally am not interested in a subforum where "denormalization" is accepted, so I'd ask for a bit of faith from other board conservatives that I wouldn't go along with that either.

Let's just see what happens in this thread, and try to have a friendly discussion about what we all really want, on all sides of the political spectrum. It would probably be most helpful if there was as little finger pointing as possible, and we instead discuss the framework and whether each of us as individuals is willing to abide by it.

Last edited:
Why not just make politics go in OTEAYOR and then as long as it doesn't go out of that section is good to go? Seems like a simple solution - less bitching from posters (it's EAYOR) and thus, less work for the mods.

Why not just make politics go in OTEAYOR and then as long as it doesn't go out of that section is good to go? Seems like a simple solution - less bitching from posters (it's EAYOR) and thus, less work for the mods.

The EAYOR idea was floated by me in the past -- I actually started a political thread in there for that very reason -- and it was shot down. It needs to be a separate, private forum or it doesn't seem as if it will get approved.

I appreciate the "likes", but I also wish people would chip in with questions/concerns. We've got to discuss this so that everyone who wants to be involved knows that they're getting into, and what the ground rules are.

I am in.. personally I found the discussion enlightening, even when I disagreed with other posters. But i like the idea of an invite only, and strict rules on name calling.. I think it should support multiple threads so topics can be explored separately.. would be awesome to have constructive discussion..

I think the keys to a successful political discussion is to respect everyone in it, which is something that has to be earned. I am puzzled by the running to mods thing.. if a political discussion upsets you that much you probably should not go there..

Private forum with one moderator is honestly probably the best idea

Perfect solution.

I’m not one to usually bother mods with reported posts (except statman), but keeping it confined and having one mod is a great idea.

There are plenty of smart people on here whose takes I honestly would like to see.

On both sides.

This seems like a really good idea.

A related issue -- is it even possible to have discussions about race that aren't won't either 1) result in someone being really offended, or 2) squelch views that are controversial but a fair point of discussion? I don't think it is, but that's just my opinion.

A related issue -- is it even possible to have discussions about race that aren't won't either 1) result in someone being really offended, or 2) squelch views that are controversial but a fair point of discussion? I don't think it is, but that's just my opinion.
I don't think so. Probably best to keep race-related discussions off limits.

I miss the political discussion personally. I know I had largely blocked out what I would consider the “noise”....posters antagonizing each other and simply trolling. It’s very easy to tell who is here for legit discussion and who is here playing “team politics” and just trying to aggravate others. That’s an annoyance.

I don’t know if it’s a rule that can be created, but context should be added to posts to back up information posted. For example, if someone posts a “tweet” it should be mandatory the poster adds context and why it’s important. It shouldn’t be posted without context, IMO, because that begins the cycle of trolling. It will also force people on both sides to engage in actual research to make sure their posts carry some legitimacy or maybe they even discover it’s “fake news”. In light of the fact that Rod Rosenstein just announced Russians staged protests for and against Trump on the same day in NYC, largely through Twitter, it’d make sense we all dig a little deeper into our posts prior to hitting “post”.

I do like the idea of invite only and being able to ban posters who derail the conversation because they can’t handle opposing points of view.

There are discussions about race and discussions about racism.. two different animals. A poster claiming differences between races will be a disaster. A poster talking about racism, can be very constructive..

Private forum, one dedicated mod, and strict moderation on trolling and name calling (I know it's asking a lot from even one mod, thankless job, I've been there done that)? I actually think that could work.

I believe there are some posters on both sides who will either need to put a lot more care into their posts, or will get banned quickly from the new format. Either way, it would be an improvement towards genuine discussion.

One thing I think would be beneficial to all agree on would be to end the mass generalizations of each others "teams" in these discussions. Categorizing or ascribing an idea or narrative to all conservatives or all liberals does nothing to move conversation forward, and in fact just promotes team trolling. I'm not sure how that would end up a rule or be moderated, but maybe just something we all keep in mind since we have a second shot at this? If the goal of a post is to trigger or demoralize someone, it will do nothing but derail a thread.

Just a few thoughts off the dome. Thanks for kicking this off tip. And for the record, jking is an excellent mod choice.

There are discussions about race and discussions about racism.. two different animals. A poster claiming differences between races will be a disaster. A poster talking about racism, can be very constructive..

I can't see how you can talk about racism without talking about race. And inevitably, whenever you start talking about "racism", that is going to include "reverse racism", and then you get into a who-did-what kind of thing that pisses people off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."