• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Possible new rule change - No extra points

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

jonmchugh

In the Rotation
Reaction score
The NFL is reportedly considering abolishing the extra point after touchdowns as part of its scoring system.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told the NFL Network on Monday that the league's Competition Committee is looking at proposals that would end extra point kicks after touchdowns in favor of a revised scoring system.

"The extra point is almost automatic," Goodell told the network. "I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd (attempts). So it's a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play."

"There's one proposal in particular that I've heard about," Goodell added. "It's automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six."

Goodell did not specify a timeline for a possible change and said "some issues" stand in the way of such a move, according to the report.

For any rules to be changed, at least 24 of 32 teams must approve changes recommended by the eight-member competition committee, which consists of general managers, front-office executives, current head coaches, and owners.

I don't get it. Isn't this the same way that is now? I mean since the extra points are automatic. If they want to make it interesting, make teams have to go for 2 or something instead of the exra point being an option. the guys on the radio were going crazy over this rule change. I just don't see what the big deal of it is. it's almost the same as it is now.

Re: New rule change - No extra points

the difference is it speeds the game up and makes it more interesting. but also, less commercial breaks.. they might think enough people flip the channel during these breaks that it benefits to get rid of them altogether, or make them more interesting by the decision of 7 or 8 and the play

I'm a fan of keeping football the same. Too many changes is not good for it. And the extra points aren't always automatic.

If it's not broke don't fix it.

the difference is it speeds the game up and makes it more interesting. but also, less commercial breaks.. they might think enough people flip the channel during these breaks that it benefits to get rid of them altogether, or make them more interesting by the decision of 7 or 8 and the play

1375735945_black-guy-laughing-on-boat-gif.gif

I was listening to this a few days ago when it was initially proposed, and the cast of RMG could not comprehend the idea of "losing points" and moving the score around so much. They were so fixated on the wording "a touchdown is seven points, you can go for another point but you risk losing it"...

Like, this proposed rule is pretty much identical to what happens now. Get six points for a TD, take a "free" extra point, or go for two. Just like NFL Blitz.

Was talking about this on another forum and someone suggested spotting the ball where they scored the TD, or having whoever scored the TD have to take the FG (I guess they do this in rugby?). Could be...slightly more interesting?

There were like 5 missed extra points in more than 1200 attempts. Can't see why you even need to attempt them, that's like 1200 chances for someone to get hurt over nothing.

I'd score the touchdown, and just kick off. Extra point is a waste of time. No more two point conversions either.

There were like 5 missed extra points in more than 1200 attempts. Can't see why you even need to attempt them, that's like 1200 chances for someone to get hurt over nothing.

While I wouldn't care about the change I still feel like the fact it ever happens gives teams opportunities to prevent a point that would be taken away. Probably would be better for the players though I agree.

There's so many rules on where you can even line up now. It's virtually impossible to block one.

I'd be fine if they did offer the opportunity to make a kick 2 point conversion from the 40 yard line or something.

I am in favor of this. Only drawback is that the FG team gets less live reps, but that is negligible.

Meh. Anything that speeds up the game a bit is fine by me.

Why does everyone always want to speed the game up? For it to be over quicker? Don't watch it if you can't sit there and enjoy the whole game. Football is a short season anyways, while not try and enjoy it all and not make it go by quicker?

Why does everyone always want to speed the game up? For it to be over quicker? Don't watch it if you can't sit there and enjoy the whole game. Football is a short season anyways, while not try and enjoy it all and not make it go by quicker?

It's still the same amount of actual football being played. What is being cut out is an unneeded part of the NFL game.

It's still the same amount of actual football being played. What is being cut out is an unneeded part of the NFL game.

Technically it's really not the same amount of actual football being played if you take out part of the game.

Change is not always progress.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."