• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

PS4 Pro and Playstation virtual reality

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Process God

Birthing All-Stars
Reaction score
Has anyone heard about Sony's new ps4 pro that is coming out late November? True 4i definition gaming for any compatible games although it remains to be seen whether or not respectable framerates can be maintained without dropping the resolution to less than 4k.

Also, I tested out the new Playstation virtual reality headset at Walmart with a flight simulation game, and it was better than expected especially when one has headphones and a rumbling controller to make things feel more real. Shit's legit. An underwater ocean scuba diving cage simulation made my wife almost piss her pants. HEFTY price tag at 400 bucks.

How is the resolution on the screens? I went and tried the Galaxy one at the TMobile store, and it was WAYYY too pixelated and low res for me. IF all VR is going to be like that, count me out.

Has anyone heard about Sony's new ps4 pro that is coming out late November? True 4i definition gaming for any compatible games although it remains to be seen whether or not respectable framerates can be maintained without dropping the resolution to less than 4k.

Also, I tested out the new Playstation virtual reality headset at Walmart with a flight simulation game, and it was better than expected especially when one has headphones and a rumbling controller to make things feel more real. Shit's legit. An underwater ocean scuba diving cage simulation made my wife almost piss her pants. HEFTY price tag at 400 bucks.

The games actually won't be in native 4K. They are using tricks to upres HD to look like 4K. And you're right, "4K" 60fps probably isn't happening with this thing (30fps is what I've heard). If you don't have a 4K tv though, some games may have settings that boost the graphics and/or framerate performance for 1080p output. It also doesn't have a 4K blurray player.

Basically, if you're fine with the way things look on the PS4 you already have, then it probably makes sense to pass on this thing and wait for PS5 to get a real 4K experience in a couple years. If you don't have a PS4 but want to get one, I'd recommend the slim that's out now which is $100 cheaper than the Pro.

Also, good luck getting a PSVR any time soon. Preorders sold like hotcakes and there hasn't been any indication of how many will actually be available at launch.

The games actually won't be in native 4K. They are using tricks to upres HD to look like 4K. And you're right, "4K" 60fps probably isn't happening with this thing (30fps is what I've heard). If you don't have a 4K tv though, some games may have settings that boost the graphics and/or framerate performance for 1080p output. It also doesn't have a 4K blurray player.

Basically, if you're fine with the way things look on the PS4 you already have, then it probably makes sense to pass on this thing and wait for PS5 to get a real 4K experience in a couple years. If you don't have a PS4 but want to get one, I'd recommend the slim that's out now which is $100 cheaper than the Pro.

Also, good luck getting a PSVR any time soon. Preorders sold like hotcakes and there hasn't been any indication of how many will actually be available at launch.

From my understanding, unlike the new Xbox, the ps4 pro will be putting out in true 4k for all video except pre-rendered scenes on games designed for the pro (unless the pre-rendered scenes were done in 4k). It just doesn't promise perfect frame rates for all or even most games. The other option is heard was you can lock in a frame rate and have a dynamic resolution that goes up and down depending on the processing load put on the console at any given moment.

My wife has given me $500 of our wedding gift money to spend on a ps4 and games, so the ps4 pro looks like a good option since I have a 4k tv. Not looking to get the vr right now since it is so expensive and I just don't have the money for it.

How is the resolution on the screens? I went and tried the Galaxy one at the TMobile store, and it was WAYYY too pixelated and low res for me. IF all VR is going to be like that, count me out.

The resolution on the ps4 vr is 1080p. It is still somewhat grainy, but much less so than smart phone VRs.

From my understanding, unlike the new Xbox, the ps4 pro will be putting out in true 4k for all video except pre-rendered scenes on games designed for the pro (unless the pre-rendered scenes were done in 4k). It just doesn't promise perfect frame rates for all or even most games. The other option is heard was you can lock in a frame rate and have a dynamic resolution that goes up and down depending on the processing load put on the console at any given moment.

My wife has given me $500 of our wedding gift money to spend on a ps4 and games, so the ps4 pro looks like a good option since I have a 4k tv. Not looking to get the vr right now since it is so expensive and I just don't have the money for it.

The Pro is definitely more powerful than the XBONE S, but from what I understand it's still just upscaling to 4K but just doing a better job of it.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what options are actually offered for framerates and what not. They've said that all the first party stuff will be on board with this (obviously), but my guess is it will depend on how well this thing sells to see if third party developers go through the hassle to make "sliders" for the player to pick what they decide they want from their game. I've heard that the new Tomb Raider game will support three different options (4k 30fps, 1080p with improved textures, etc. but below 60 fps, and regular 1080p with 60fps. The Pro is supposed to help with PSVR if you ever end up getting that too.

I don't have a 4k TV and don't plan to get one anytime soon, so I'm just gonna get a Slim (since I don't have a Ps4) and use the extra $100 to buy more games, but I totally get where you're coming from.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."