• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Q Richardson Dealt To Knicks

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Gold Star Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a dumb move. Thomas doesnt really play at the same kind of pace as the Suns do.

The Suns have agreed to a trade that sends swingman Quentin Richardson to the New York Knicks for power forward Kurt Thomas, two sources involved in the talks confirmed Thursday morning.

A conditional first round draft pick may also be involved in the deal.

Richardson happened to be in New York this morning for an apparel photo shoot when he got the news from his agent and Suns president and general manager Bryan Colangelo. That was news to Richardson, who said he thought he was part of "the core" Phoenix talked about keeping together after the season. advertisement

"It definitely is a shock but I also understand it's a business decision," said Richardson, who signed a six-year contract last summer with Phoenix. "It's something that comes along with being a NBA player. I've gotta roll with it."

Richardson said Colangelo told him that the deal was made to help make financial space with the contract extension of Amaré Stoudemire and re-signing of Joe Johnson forthcoming this summer. Richardson had five years and $37.7 million left on his contract.

Thomas will be paid about $14 million over the next two seasons and has a player option for $8.1 million for 2007-2008.

Thomas, 32 and a 10-year veteran, averaged 11.5 points and 10.4 rebounds for the Knicks last season. He fits the Suns offseason goals for acquiring a player who can help on the boards and with low-post defense. Thomas is a better quality player than what Phoenix could have garnered in a free agent post player. He also has a solid mid-range shot that will still allow Stoudemire space to operate in the paint and can be used in the pick-and-roll game with Steve Nash.

Richardson changed his game to focus on three-point shooting last season and hit a club-record, league-leading 226 threes. He went scoreless in his final game as a Sun when Phoenix was eliminated by San Antonio in the conference finals. He said the way his season finished, with a cold shooting spell and a difficult matchup on Manu Ginobili, may have played a factor in Phoenix's decision to trade him.

"It'll give me an opportunity to play more of my game," said Richardson, whose post-up game may fit better in New York.

Richardson and his fiancé, Brandy, were building a home in the Valley that was nearly completed.

"It's not something I wanted but it's something I accept," Richardson said of the trade. "I'm not trying to be angry or spiteful. They're trying to better the team and I can't be mad at that. When we're not playing the Suns, I'm still going to be a Suns fan."

Colangelo, who also got Knicks president Isiah Thomas to take Stephon Marbury's and Penny Hardaway's hefty contracts a year and a half ago, could not be reached for comment.
Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."