• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Raspberry Pi 3

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

macbdog

Resident Luddite
Reaction score
So I just impulse bought one of these to play around with:
Website
Specs
Anyone here have one of these? $35 micro pc. I plan on using mine to make a media pc/web surfer for my living room. I haven't monkeyed with Linux in years and whilst I'm a tinkerer i am just that when it comes to computers, gonna be winging it with this thing. Anyone have one? Cool ideas they have used one for? I figure once I get the hang of it I'll buy one for my nephews so they can learn and fiddle with it.

So I just impulse bought one of these to play around with:
Website
Specs
Anyone here have one of these? $35 micro pc. I plan on using mine to make a media pc/web surfer for my living room. I haven't monkeyed with Linux in years and whilst I'm a tinkerer i am just that when it comes to computers, gonna be winging it with this thing. Anyone have one? Cool ideas they have used one for? I figure once I get the hang of it I'll buy one for my nephews so they can learn and fiddle with it.

I've got a few of them. I bought 10 about 3 years ago during a project that developed an automated poker bot.. fun project.. :chuckle:

Anyway, they're awesome. The Pi 3 is great. You can turn it into a MAME machine, a simple HTPC, and IPTV receiver, home automation system, or you can go further out of the box. They're really great little devices.

I have an Arduino UNO that I wish I could do stuff with, but don't have the money to buy materials to build cool things (initially wanted to build a quadcopter).

Been thinking about trying to make it into an automatic fan controller for my PC.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about buying this http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-16561RK?COM=Pi3-mcm-bundles and making my own emulator. I've never used the pi before so I have no idea if this is overkill or not, especially for just an emulator. Any thoughts?

a Pi running Retro Pi is about the gold standard of emulation right now, you can't really go wrong with it if you want a small box to retro game with. Some of it can be a bitch to set up as opposed to just installing emulators on a windows machine, but once you get it set up, its a really nice all-in-one package

edit- just realized i replied to an older post... oh well :)

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."