• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Reallistically- How long before will it take to be a top 2-3 seed in the East?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ajz20

Draft Guru
Reaction score
I say it will take until the 2015-2016 season and here are my reasons.

We need TWO more drafts of top 5-7 draft picks to really secure a young nucleus. Right now Irving, TT and Caspi are the only players for sure I know will be apart of the future and even Caspi and TT have a ton to prove. We can all agree that most of the players on this roster will be gone 3 years from now.
I feel we can get a top 5 draft pick in 2012, (core starter) and possibly 3 first round picks (sac and miami included) In 2013.
!n 2013, you could obtain one very good player and two very solid role players. Obtain 2-3 other role players via trade or FA and you could be ready to be a top 15 nba team by 2014.

Give the team a year to jell and by 2015 we could be a very solid ball club. However, there is no room for error in the draft. If Grant makes any mistakes on draft day the organization is doomed. We are going to have to be very very patient. I doubt there will be a playoff game at the Q until 2014 (2013 if Irving plays at a very highl level). I hope everyone realizes how long of a rebuild this will have to be! This is really year 1 of a 4-5 year rebuild in my opinion. Thoughts about the timeline?

Re: Reallistically- How long befoe will it take to be a top 2-3 seed in the East?

Next year the Cavs win 60 games again...

Re: Reallistically- How long befoe will it take to be a top 2-3 seed in the East?

Playoffs by 2014 at least. If we hit on our picks, we could be in position for something special. But its going to take at least two more lottery picks and some trades. Our wing players are absolutely terrible and we will need a center. Trading Varejao should help us get some nice assets and of course Dan is always willing to spend. But I don't want to be just good enough to be a playoff team. Im willing to watch some terrible basketball the next few seasons if it means collecting all-stars players. I have no interest in being a team like the Pacers or Nuggets. We should follow the Thunder's model of building a team. Lets just hope Grant makes the right picks. We still have a ton of work to do.

2-3 years, if they manage to hit it big on their picks and in free agency as they will have a ton of cap room in the coming years once Jamison is off the pay roll and they are able to cut some of the fat from this team. Biggest needs right now are C, SF, and SG, in that order. PF is still yet to be determined, but I have a feeling it will be dependable with a rotation of Andy, TT, and Jamison for the time being. They've got a few nice pieces -- time to go out and get some more in the deepest draft since 2003.

If not, then we're looking at 3-5 years.

It will take a long time (at least 5 years) if it happens at all. If you remember, it took the Cavs until LBJ's third season just to make the playoffs. He is a lot more dynamic and impactful than Kyrie and TT will be. You're asking when the cavs can get a top 3 seed in the East and they're nowhere close to that.

The Cavs really do have a dearth of talent on this roster. Their wing positions right now are a joke with garbage like Harris, Eyenga, Parker, Gee, Mychael Thompson (where did they find that guy?) etc. out there. It is early. But, Irving looks like he'll at least be a good player perhaps an All Star. TT is pretty raw right now. So, even with hard work, it'll take 2-3 seasons before he develops a decent offensive game. Plus, the margin of error for them in the draft is almost zero since FA's aren't flocking here.

They'll have a top 5 pick in the next draft and perhaps the one after that. They'll have to get quality starters (near All Star level) out of those picks if they hope to reach the upper tier of the NBA. If Grant whiffs on a top 5 pick, it will set the rebuild back even more. In my mind, this is really the first year of the rebuild since last year our roster was a wasteland due to the departure of LBJ and the fact that we couldn't get young talent in here until the draft last April.

That said, Miami and Chicago are going to be powerful teams for the next few years. It is hard for me to imagine the Cavs overtaking them as long as LBJ, Wade, Rose, etc. are all still in place.

I hate to crush the optimism in this thread, but I don't see it happening for quite sometime. I can see us reaching ATL Hawks status in 4 or 5 years, but a top 3 seed in the East? Not in the foreseeable future I don't think, unless the next Durant is in next years draft.

I hate to crush the optimism in this thread, but I don't see it happening for quite sometime. I can see us reaching ATL Hawks status in 4 or 5 years, but a top 3 seed in the East? Not in the foreseeable future I don't think, unless the next Durant is in next years draft.

His name is Harrison Barnes.

Realistically, any team can be a contender in 2-3 years in the NBA. It only takes one player to turn around a franchise. Most perpetually bad teams like Minnesota have bricked on draft picks year after year and have horrible evaluations of team needs and talent (i.e. the T'Wolves drafting/signing more point guards every single year - Rubio, Flynn - though now with HOU, Ridnour, and now Barea).

Most teams don't have the privilege of drafting a franchise point guard like we've got in Irving. Guys like Austin Rivers, Harrison Barnes, and others have the chance to be superstars. If we nail the next draft and Tristan can pan out to be a fraction of a player like Dennis Rodman, we are looking at an exciting next few years and a team built for a title down the road.

Im a big Barnes fan, but there is no way he will be as good as KD. Barnes ceiling is more dynamic version of Luol Deng.

Ha, I'm aware. That post was sprinkled with a little bit of sarcasm. I love Barnes and think he will do big things at the next level. I agree that he won't be as good as KD... But then again, nobody thought Durant would be the Durant we've been watching for the past few years. He has exceeded any ceiling and any expectations at this point.

Here's to hoping Barnes might do the same.

The Heat, Bulls, Knicks, and Nets (if they get Dwight) are all going to be very good in the Eastern Conference for the next 5-8 years which complicates us becoming a top 2-3 team when we were most recently 15th out of 15.

That said, I'm really hoping for Jeremy Lamb, Andre Drummond, or Harrison Barnes in next years draft

The Heat, Bulls, Knicks, and Nets (if they get Dwight) are all going to be very good in the Eastern Conference for the next 5-8 years which complicates us becoming a top 2-3 team when we were most recently 15th out of 15.

That said, I'm really hoping for Jeremy Lamb, Andre Drummond, or Harrison Barnes in next years draft

The Heat might be a problem and you never know with the Nets if they get Dwight. The Bulls and Knicks are overrated imo though. Plus, Amare has bad knees that probably won't hold up til the end of his contract. And Melo will never be the best player on a NBA championship team. If im the Heat though, I pray Wade's body doesn't start breaking down. He is one of those players that is going to really fall off when his athleticism starts to fade.

I think that in 2 years from now, we will make the playoffs. The key for me, is to pick the best players we can in the next two drafts. Then, we will have a young core of Kyrie, TT, Casspi and the 3-4 guys we gonna draft. After that, we can trade for some solid role players or one-two starters, in positions we may not be able to cover throu the draft. But in my opinion, it will take us 4-5 years for sure to become title contender. Till then, our rookies will get experience throu playoff matches in order to be ready when time comes.

If it takes 4-5 years just to become the Hawks we might as well shut this place down.

LeBron's Cavs didn't get a top-2 seed until his 4th year, and that was an Eastern Conference that really only had one good team (Detroit).

I say, realistically, it will be 7-8 years before this team is good enough for a top-3 seed... if things pan out.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."