• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Resting Guys = Heavy fines?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

sportscoach

RD's Guardians PR Man!
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...players-significant-issue-league?sf64492355=1

It sounds like Silver is wanting to put heavy fines on teams who sit their main guys especially when they are not injured. Now I side with the players over the fans, since I trust Popovich and his judgement with his players. He has won a ton of games and been one of the best coaches and sits his guys every single season. Also another factor is you do need to get your other players in some games so they can be sharp because injuries will happen.

What do you guys think?

Fix the schedule and the probelm takes care of itself. As its been pointed out by 1000 different people this happens all the time in baseball and football. Why is basketball any different.

Oh yeah only 1 guy sat because of rest, lebron. This rest were injured. And i dont recall this big of an up roar when the warriors did the exact same fucking thing less than a month ago.

Like i said fix the schedule and the problem takes care of itself

Maybe they should create a policy for resting players.

Ex. If such-and-such team is playing on a nationally televised game, they are required to have their healthy players dressed and available for the game (otherwise, have the appropriate punishment in place for the team that does not follow the procedure).

Ex 2. Each team be allowed to rest such-and-such players for a certain amount of games (exception to the rule would be a major injury to the certain players).

Whatever it might be, I don't think decreasing the games played would be the right answer. They've had 80+ games for a full season (lockout seasons are the exception) since the 60s at the latest. The NBA should look into this properly.

Half of the teams make it into the playoffs, while half of those teams (at most) are trying to win it all. Popovich set a standard for teams serious about winning the championship, but fans (and television broadcasters) have paid a lot to see certain players perform. Will the NBA get the most out of these situations? 'Dunno. But it's their money, not mine...

"Sorry LeBron Kyrie and Kevin all have sore knees, prove they're not sore if you'd like to fine us, thank you.."

This is retarded. This is the worst thing Silver has ever done as commish. Fuck this shit. Notice how no letter came out two days after the Warriors rested 3 fully healthy under 30 dudes, but as soon as the Cavs rest 14year vet LBJ at age 32, here comes the league hammer. Bullshit.

Easy way around it.

"LeBron James - DNP - Back spasms"

"LeBron James - DNP - Knee soreness"

"LeBron James - DNP - Tired from kicking the league's ass for so long"

Boom. Done.

Kiss my ass, Silver. We rested 1 guy, the other 2 were legit hurt.

Where was this after Golden State rested 4 guys?

I want full Pop level trolling.

LeBron James - DNP - Old
Kevin Love - DNP - Bad hair day
Kyrie Irving - DNP - Flat earth sickness

"Sorry LeBron Kyrie and Kevin all have sore knees, prove they're not sore if you'd like to fine us, thank you.."

This is retarded. This is the worst thing Silver has ever done as commish. Fuck this shit. Notice how no letter came out two days after the Warriors rested 3 fully healthy under 30 dudes, but as soon as the Cavs rest 14year vet LBJ at age 32, here comes the league hammer. Bullshit.
Yeah this is a case where Silver is trying to talk big to scare teams, but both he and the teams know he’s kind of powerless about this until the next CBA opt-out.

There’s nothing he can do to prevent teams from resting players.

Easy way around it.

Boom. Done.

I know you’re joking, but I bet if the Cavs knew that LeBron not playing Saturday would cause all this drama and bullshit, they would have indeed just made up a fake temporary injury for him instead of just saying it was for rest.

If you don't want teams to rest players, don't schedule back-to-backs or have eighty two games a year. Teams have one main goal and that is to win titles. You win titles with healthy players, and contending teams are smart to look after the health of their best players by not running them into the ground for a few extra meaningless regular season wins.

Easy way around it.

Boom. Done.

Can't players be DNP-CD'd without explanation? The NBA would then have to fine every DNP-CD to be consistent. That's multiple players every game. Good luck with that.

Maybe it's just because we are contenders but damn does the regular season feel longer each passing year. I contribute some of that to "chill" mode but by shortening the season to 70 games, that essentially would remove all the back-to-backs. That's a lot of money lost for the NBA but i don't think the answer is trying to force the coach's hand by handing out fines. That is not in the best interest of the players and i believe the Players Union would be in fits over it.

The concern isn't that teams are resting players. It's that teams are resting players in nationally televised games where advertisers have paid big money to have eyeballs on the screen. All it would take is a little scheduling ingenuity to prevent nationally-televised games from occurring on back-to-backs, no?

Another thing you could do that the NHL did this year is essentially allow each team a bye week where they don't play for five straight days, allowing a bit of a breather for any players fighting a nagging ailment.

Will be interesting to see where the conversation goes.

I think the best they can do is inform the league as early as possible about which players will not play. That's a reasonable request that would help the league change which games are on National TV.
It certainly hurts the product to have a blockbuster game end up without superstars. Teams certainly should rest their players too, if they believe it ultimately helps them achieve the end goal.
I think fining teams is asinine. I hate Silver and really wonder what top players think of him. How long is his contract for and what system is in place to oust this fool?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."