• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Router help!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RuanuLaw

The Dark Knight
Reaction score
I just moved into a new house, and now my ATT U-verse provided router is not strong enough to cover the entire place. The plan/router pump out about 25Mb/s, but by the time the waves reach my bedroom(complete opposite side of the house from the router, and on a different floor), the signal becomes crap.

In my bedroom I have a PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Smart TV, wireless U-verse TV box, and 2 iPhones. They are all fighting for the bandwidth.

The house is 2600 sqft, and the ATT tech said that their routers are designed for homes about 2000 sqft.

So I need a router under $400, that can maintain the dual band signal strength all over the house and not be bothered by the number of devices it is sending the signal to. Strength and distance of signal are THE MOST IMPORTANT FEATURES.

I saw many websites with router reviews for 2018, and they all have different recommendations. So I’m kinda stuck.

Look into wireless repeaters, cheaper than buying a new router that your isp won't support

For some reason my Ps4 won't connect LAN and I think it has to do with my router or ISP. Anyone else had the issue? I googled it and others have had problems, but it still won't work when I manually put the info in either. It recognizes the connection, but won't connect.

Look into wireless repeaters, cheaper than buying a new router that your isp won't support
Do you know if the repeaters/extenders add to latency/lag when it comes to competitive gaming?

Do you know if the repeaters/extenders add to latency/lag when it comes to competitive gaming?

Any wireless connection is going to have lag, just depends on the signal strength the repeater/extender pulls and sometimes hardware quality. You really won't know until you have one hooked up how bad the lag will be for stuff like that. I will say that Dual bands with movable antennas usually work the best from what I've seen

Something else to consider if you bought your house you may want to look into making it CAT5/6 compatible, running through the walls like cable lines.

https://www.showmecables.com/integr...MIqp3yrvOZ2wIVwbrACh10SwEJEAQYBSABEgKFnPD_BwE

Running CAT5/6 is probably a better investment than buying a new router, repeater or extender in the long term if you own the home.

I just moved into a new house, and now my ATT U-verse provided router is not strong enough to cover the entire place. The plan/router pump out about 25Mb/s, but by the time the waves reach my bedroom(complete opposite side of the house from the router, and on a different floor), the signal becomes crap.

In my bedroom I have a PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Smart TV, wireless U-verse TV box, and 2 iPhones. They are all fighting for the bandwidth.

The house is 2600 sqft, and the ATT tech said that their routers are designed for homes about 2000 sqft.

So I need a router under $400, that can maintain the dual band signal strength all over the house and not be bothered by the number of devices it is sending the signal to. Strength and distance of signal are THE MOST IMPORTANT FEATURES.

I saw many websites with router reviews for 2018, and they all have different recommendations. So I’m kinda stuck.
I basically have the same problem. @gourimoko recommended I get a mesh WiFi system (example Google WiFi). Just saving up at the moment to make the purchase.

For some reason my Ps4 won't connect LAN and I think it has to do with my router or ISP. Anyone else had the issue? I googled it and others have had problems, but it still won't work when I manually put the info in either. It recognizes the connection, but won't connect.

You may want to look at DMZ'ing the PS4 IP address so it puts it outside of the router firewall and also make sure your router is running the most current firmware. If your router is more than 12 years old replace it because it more than likely wasn't built with IPv6 in mind.

You may want to look at DMZ'ing the PS4 IP address so it puts it outside of the router firewall and also make sure your router is running the most current firmware. If your router is more than 12 years old replace it because it more than likely wasn't built with IPv6 in mind.
I feel like these are the issues, just not sure exactly how to execute it. I believe the router is fairly new but I think it needs a firmware update. I couldn't figure out how to do it though, it's a Comtrend. The settings I put in manually on the Ps4 were from IPv4 I think. Which not sure what that means but the IPv6 address is like letters, fe80::...etc.

The router is blocking it somehow. Maybe the right ports aren't open? I don't know if I have to contact my ISP for that or what, but I don't know how to get into the router settings. I'd like to at least update the firmware first.

Contacted the ISP and got it fixed. It was what I thought. The ports were blocked for video so they opened them and they updated the software. I was trying to do it myself but I guess they do everything for you quick and easy.

I feel like these are the issues, just not sure exactly how to execute it. I believe the router is fairly new but I think it needs a firmware update. I couldn't figure out how to do it though, it's a Comtrend. The settings I put in manually on the Ps4 were from IPv4 I think. Which not sure what that means but the IPv6 address is like letters, fe80::...etc.

The router is blocking it somehow. Maybe the right ports aren't open? I don't know if I have to contact my ISP for that or what, but I don't know how to get into the router settings. I'd like to at least update the firmware first.

I would update the firmware and then look on your advanced lan settings on the router GUI and you should see something for for DMZ settings

To update the firmware once you log into the router there should an area for firmware version with an option to check for updates.

That is how most router GUI's are set up these days at least

EDIT
Posted this after getting sidetracked at work and forgetting to update the thread lol

Any wireless connection is going to have lag, just depends on the signal strength the repeater/extender pulls and sometimes hardware quality. You really won't know until you have one hooked up how bad the lag will be for stuff like that. I will say that Dual bands with movable antennas usually work the best from what I've seen

Something else to consider if you bought your house you may want to look into making it CAT5/6 compatible, running through the walls like cable lines.

https://www.showmecables.com/integr...MIqp3yrvOZ2wIVwbrACh10SwEJEAQYBSABEgKFnPD_BwE

Running CAT5/6 is probably a better investment than buying a new router, repeater or extender in the long term if you own the home.

Actually, I think that I am just going to run a line from the room where the ATT router is, up and through the attic and into my bedroom.

But, here is my concern now since I don't know much about networks....in my bedroom where I will have the line coming out, I was thinking of hooking up 4-port switch to hook up the Xbox, PS4, and Smart TV...but will the switch add latency/lag/ping? Or will it be like running a direct line to the router?

Actually, I think that I am just going to run a line from the room where the ATT router is, up and through the attic and into my bedroom.

But, here is my concern now since I don't know much about networks....in my bedroom where I will have the line coming out, I was thinking of hooking up 4-port switch to hook up the Xbox, PS4, and Smart TV...but will the switch add latency/lag/ping? Or will it be like running a direct line to the router?

A switch works fine no noticeable lag, that is what I'm using for my set up atm since I don't use wifi (3 pc's and 3 consoles). I'm usually connected on 2 of the pc's plus one console at all times and have no problems.

Even with my encrypted machine running over VPN and other machines connected I don't see any lag. The ping for the consoles is between 40-65ms and that's because I'm cheap and don't have the fastest internet available from my isp

A switch works fine no noticeable lag, that is what I'm using for my set up atm since I don't use wifi (3 pc's and 3 consoles). I'm usually connected on 2 of the pc's plus one console at all times and have no problems.

Even with my encrypted machine running over VPN and other machines connected I don't see any lag. The ping for the consoles is between 40-65ms and that's because I'm cheap and don't have the fastest internet available from my isp

Whats the ping scale look like in ms, as far as whats good for competitive gaming?

Is the 40-65ms good, or just acceptable?

I think my Wifi-ed Xbox One says like 85ms ping at the moment.

Whats the ping scale look like in ms, as far as whats good for competitive gaming?

Is the 40-65ms good, or just acceptable?

I think my Wifi-ed Xbox One says like 85ms ping at the moment.

Anything over 100ms can get sketchy, so your 85ms on wifi is decent. When you hardwire it through the switch it should cut your current ping by between 20-25% if not more

Anything under 60 is good for a console (pc would be about 40) but anything 70 or below is usually good enough.

If you're playing games competitively you'll want it as low as you can get and don't hook your smart tv to the internet, having it connected increases input lag / ping. Just having some of the features on the newer smart / 4k tv's enabled like motion+, auto contrast, cinemotion and a few others will also increase input lag (input lag is the time from button press to seeing the action performed on screen)

Info on input lag /tv ratings, doesn't bother some people and some people can tell right away if it's over 25ms or 30ms

https://displaylag.com/best-low-input-lag-tvs-gaming-by-gamers/

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."