• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Slow Cookers

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cratylus

FLAWLESS
Reaction score
Well my 32-year old crock pot finally went to that great Chef's Kitchen in the Sky, so it's time for me to buy a new one.

My issue is that no matter which one I read about on Amazon, it seems like around 10-15% of the reviews warn about the plug catching on fire, the sides getting too hot and melting the plastic handles, or the unit crapping out after a couple of months and no longer cooking properly. Needless to say, I don't know what I should buy at this point.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a reliable brand and model that's not going to burn down my kitchen while I'm at work?

@gourimoko
@Randolphkeys
@King Stannis

I've had 3 different Crock Pots of varying sizes over the last 6 years and I've had zero issues with any of them.

I actually use a pressure cooker as a crockpot since, when you're in a hurry, you can add the pressure and cut cooking time many-fold. I use the Power Pressure Cooker XL, which is alright.. can't complain for what it does, and it's very versatile.

Get yourself a pressure cooker. It's like a crock put if a crock pot were fast efficient.

brb let me go ask the local moms club.

Get yourself a pressure cooker. It's like a crock put if a crock pot were fast efficient.

I think the reason folks use crockpots is because they can set them up before work, and come home to hot dinner quite literally ready to eat. I personally prefer to cook most dishes over the stove (or in a pressure cooker), but, if you don't have the time, I get it.

Beef bone soup (Asian-style) is actually better in a crock pot than in a pressure cooker though, oddly enough..

I think the reason folks use crockpots is because they can set them up before work, and come home to hot dinner quite literally ready to eat. I personally prefer to cook most dishes over the stove (or in a pressure cooker), but, if you don't have the time, I get it.

Beef bone soup (Asian-style) is actually better in a crock pot than in a pressure cooker though, oddly enough..
We rarely ever use a crock pot. We only use it if we want to serve something larger since our crock part is much larger than our pressure cooker. I still prefer the pressure cooker though as you can have a similar meal in 15-30 minutes vs cooking all day.

We rarely ever use a crock pot. We only use it if we want to serve something larger since our crock part is much larger than our pressure cooker. I still prefer the pressure cooker though as you can have a similar meal in 15-30 minutes vs cooking all day.

I definitely prefer the pressure cooker over the crockpot, at least 80% of the time.. It can also serve as a rice cooker, although, I don't think it's very likely either you or I don't already have a rice cooker and a backup rice cooker.. :chuckle:

In lieu of either a crock pot or a pressure cooker, you can also choose a dutch oven. But you gotta run your stove/oven for these instead of good ole fashioned electricity. I just got one from Kohl's - it's diversity is key, as you can do a ton in it. Its a Food Network cast iron - very nice.

I definitely prefer the pressure cooker over the crockpot, at least 80% of the time.. It can also serve as a rice cooker, although, I don't think it's very likely either you or I don't already have a rice cooker and a backup rice cooker.. :chuckle:
Yes, we have two other rice cookers and the pressure cooker that we sometimes will use for rice.

You should also get a wok while you're at it and a kitchenaid.

You should also get a wok while you're at it and a kitchenaid.

Agreed on both; have both.. A really good wok, not the shit you see at most stores.

Kitchen-Aid is a must IMHO, especially for custom grinds of meat with the grinding attachment.

In lieu of either a crock pot or a pressure cooker, you can also choose a dutch oven. But you gotta run your stove/oven for these instead of good ole fashioned electricity. I just got one from Kohl's - it's diversity is key, as you can do a ton in it. Its a Food Network cast iron - very nice.

Just made some chili last night in my cast-iron (enamel lined) dutch oven... things are indispensable.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."