• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Stand-up Comedy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kbiz

Situational Showstopper
Reaction score
Considering seeing Craig Robinson in Columbus in April. The Funny Bone comedy club brings in some A-list level stand-up guys consistently and i'd like to start taking advantage of it.

Figured i'd start a thread to discuss everyone's favorite comedians. Who've you seen? Who impressed you? Who disappointed you? Have you met any comedians in person? What was that like?

I was fortunate that Will Ferrell's Funny or Die tour came to Ohio State when i was a student so i got to go fo' free. Had an incredible lineup of Zach Galifianakis, Nick Swardson, and Demetri Martin. This was back in 08-09 when Martin had his own Comedy Central show and Galifianakis was a few years away from blowing up. Zach stole the show, Swardson was about as expected, and Martin was just ok...never was a big fan of his dead-pan style to begin with.

However the highlight of the night was when Will Ferrell came out in full Ron Burgundy glory (mustache and all) and interviewed OSU's president at the time. Their bit revolved around them growing up together and our president at the time was as a beloved eccentric amongst students so it worked to perfection...was a surreal moment. Ferrell had incredible stage presence and basically MC'd the entire evening while doing a few jokes in-between sets. If he wasn't so famous, he would've had an excellent stand-up career.

Aside from being spoiled by that one night, i haven't really seen anyone else perform live so I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts / experiences as i look to step up my stand-up game.

I go to Goodnight's a lot down here in Raleigh. I've seen quite a few comedians including Rich Vos, Ari Shaffir, Loni Love, Natasha Leggero, Bobby Lee and some others. Bobby Lee was beyond hilarious, his show is worth every penny. Ari, Rich and Natasha were also great. Loni was ok (she may have been too baked for our show :chuckle:).

My favorite comedian though is probably Owen Benjamin, I found out about him through following Rob Delaney a few years back. He produces a podcast called "Why Didn't They Laugh" where you can hear him break down his jokes and how he reads crowds, etc. I also really like him because he has a lot of nuanced political & philosophical discussion centered around comedy and free speech.

God I wish I got to see that Ferrell show at OSU. It's interesting that you bring up that he would be a good standup. In his WTF interview he talked about getting started and how standup didn't work for him. He was more into characters anyway, but he found it much easier to work in groups and do sketch at The Groundlings rather than the isolating highs and lows of standup. Of course, now that he has clout it has to be easier to take the stage in that manner.

I got there a couple years late (missed Conan's visit as well ugh), but OUAB (activity board) did a great job bringing in comedians during my four years as well. While I was at school I got to see Seth Meyers, Demetri Martin, Louis CK, Jim Gaffigan, the Broad City girls, and Hannibal Burress.

I recommend Mike Birbiglia for anyone who hasn't listened to him. His new Netflix special, Thank God for Jokes, is really good. I've gotten to see him perform improv at UCB in New York a few times, funny and very calming presence.

Went to Comedy Cellar in NYC a few years back, which is a must for any stand up fan. Went to see John Mulaney and some other no names.

Sarah Silverman, Amy Schumer, Jim Norton and Louis fucking CK showed up unannounced. It was literally one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Sarah Silverman directed a couple jokes about vaginas to my wife which made her night.

Any Schumer kind of sucks now, but her standup was fire. She was just starting to get her name out there at the time. No show, no movies or anything. Just a couple roasts.

Anyways...George Carlin is my all time favorite, but of current ones I'm kind of out of touch right now. Will be observing this thread to see which names pop up.

Of comedians I've seen live, Natasha Leggero, the group I mentioned above, Kevin James and Kevin Nealon have all been very good.

I love stand up. There's already some great names in here, but I enjoy Louis CK, Tom Segura, Mike Birbiglia, Anthony Jeselnik, Tosh, John Caparulo, Demetri Martin among others.

As for who I've seen: Kevin Hart, Louis CK both came to Ohio State which was dope. John Caparulo came to the Funny Bone a couple years ago. I need to get out and see more though.

Last edited:
Went to Comedy Cellar in NYC a few years back, which is a must for any stand up fan. Went to see John Mulaney and some other no names.

Sarah Silverman, Amy Schumer, Jim Norton and Louis fucking CK showed up unannounced. It was literally one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Sarah Silverman directed a couple jokes about vaginas to my wife which made her night.

Any Schumer kind of sucks now, but her standup was fire. She was just starting to get her name out there at the time. No show, no movies or anything. Just a couple roasts.

Anyways...George Carlin is my all time favorite, but of current ones I'm kind of out of touch right now. Will be observing this thread to see which names pop up.

Of comedians I've seen live, Natasha Leggero, the group I mentioned above, Kevin James and Kevin Nealon have all been very good.
I'd have about the same list as you.

I'd add Bill Burr. He made me gut-laugh several times. Also I forget his name but the guy with cerebral palsy is hilarious.

Saw Jerry Seinfeld last year. He is still very funny. Same observation-based style as his show.

Saw Jo Koy a few years ago....lol hilarious in the club.

Brian Regan has a style that cracks me up - but he's gotten a bit mainstream (have followed him for many years).

Saw Seinfeld maybe 6 years ago - and was disappointed. Maybe expectations too high and they weren't met????

Same with Jim Gaffigan - saw his earlier stuff and loved it. Saw him again about 6 years ago and didn't get the same feelings. It was a huge auditorium though - and that can elicit a different reaction than a comedy club, at least in my opinion.

Trying to think of others I've seen over the years - but most of time going to these clubs was between 2001 and 2010 - and I can't remember them all...

I'd have about the same list as you.

I'd add Bill Burr. He made me gut-laugh several times. Also I forget his name but the guy with cerebral palsy is hilarious.

Saw Jerry Seinfeld last year. He is still very funny. Same observation-based style as his show.

Bill Burr is fantastic. And he's possibly even better when he's on podcasts and radio shows when he's just off the cuff than when he has prepared stuff and he can just rant and be organic. Seems like a good dude.

Tom Segura, Louis CK and Jim Jeffries are my personal favorites.

Oh, Joe Rogan and Hannibal Burress are fucking hilarious as well. Rogan is just gold in general. His podcast is amazing.

Last edited:
Just watched Dave Chappele's comeback 2-parter on Netflix. Must watch, he'll always be a titan of stand up to me.

I've listened to an embarrassing amount of Louis CK stand up/ interviews over the years. His 50 or so appearances on O and A from the past decade or so are all on YouTube somewhere, and it's some of his best material, raw and brilliant. He is my personal favorite, and if you haven't seen his FX show or his internet drama Horace and Pete I highly recommend it.

A lot of my favorite comedians came out of NY or Boston: CK and Bill Burr are probably the greatest I've seen, and unfortunately Patrice O'Neal's life was cut too short, because he was on track to be one of the greats. He still is, but he was really entering his prime as a comedian when he tragically passed. I can't go a few days without one of his bits creeping into my thoughts. True genius.

Joe Rogan's last special was really good I thought.

We live in a golden age for comedy, it's really nice to experience.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."