• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Stars Aligned For Blockbuster Trade? (Kings/Cavs)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

bigfigga12

Rookie
Reaction score
I am really intrigued regarding the Cavs and Sacramento relative to being perfect trade partners and matches.

With the most recent news of all of Rudy Gay, Kosta Koufos, and Ben McLemore being now available, I think the Cavs can give the Kings either exactly what they need , or the best overall package depending on the direction Vlade Divak decides to go.

He could go either go for the best player/talent return available route, or a salary cap based approach clearing salary for future free agency, or even a combination of both.

If I'm the Cavs, I am all over this situation, and I would try and create something even bigger. To begin with, I'd be happy acquiring all 3 of these players, with Gay, Koufos and McLemore in that order of importance.

Gay is simply a slam dunk potential acquisition for the Cavs. He would be the top shelf ever elusive backup 3 the team has been looking for for years, with Jefferson doing an admirable job last year. Even more though, is in the Cavs death lineup where Lebron slides down to the 4 PF, Gay at the 3 would be deadly and a tremendous counter in defending and playing with the Warriors and their Durant addition.

Kosta has been on the Cavs radar for awhile now but has either been out of their price range or the Cavs have not had the assets necessary for a trade match. McLemore I already went over above.

Regarding these 3 guys, and with Love considered untouchable, the only valuable trade piece the Cavs have that would interest the Kings is Shumpert and his just under 10 million per season salary.

With Gay's salary at 13.3, Koufos's 8.0, and Mclemore's 4.1, the Cavs would need to send out at the very least 20.3 million in salary approximately to reach the minimum 125% needed. Sure they could throw in Frye and Dunleavy to reach that number or a few combinations involving these guys and Mo or Kahn etc...but bottom line is these Kings are on the block to either create cap room flexibility for the Kings, or to bring in better talent/fits than who they are shipping out.

Unfortunately for the Cavs, the tradeable players they have available would accomplish neither. The Cavs do have several trade exceptions that could absorb these players salaries, if in fact the Kings simply want to clear the book of these deals. This would have to happen in 3 separate deals, as the Cavs cannot combine any of their exceptions with say Shumpert to get to the numbers needed to deal.

Hypothetically though, the Cavs could package Shumpert, MoWilliams, and say the right to European Cedi Osman to the Kings for Rudy Gay, and this trade would work. For the Kings, this gives them a young up and coming player they've targeted in the past, point guard depth they so desperately need behind Collison, and one of the top European players overseas, a type of player Divak notoriously covets.

After this, getting the other two becomes even less likely, but not impossible. In a straight salary dump, similar to the Cavs absorbing Dunleavy into the Delly exception for nothing other than to help the Bulls make room to sign Wade, the Cavs own an exception large enough to absorb Koufos 8 million contract in a similar fashion. But would the Kings just let their center go to free up his 8 million with 3 other centers now on the roster? Maybe. But the problem with this is there are other teams who can attach a future asset/draft pick along with an exception or an expiring deal to trump anything the Cavs could offer. Along with Cedi Osman, the Cavs have recently drafted PG Kay Felder, a 2020 1st Rd pick, and a few second rounders they can attach, but not much relative to being attractive partners in being a part of a salary cap shredding $ type of deal.

Which finally brings me to my blockbuster idea. I have never been in favor of trading Kevin Love, in fact I've been completely opposed to any and all trade proposals/ideas I have seen. To be honest, I still feel this way, but there is one scenario I would consider trading Love, and that would be in a blockbuster deal involving both the Cavs and the Kings.

If I'm David Griffin, I'm going all in after Demarcus Cousins. Without getting into the well known potential locker room issues, I'd like to stick on the topic of his basketball fit only here.

First off, he's by far and away the most elite player in the NBA not on a complete untouchable list, which is a start.

There are many teams who want/covet Cousins, with the Celtics being mentioned the most. Boston is loaded with future assets, 1st round picks out the ass, and the like... But Vlade won't let Cousins go without getting star quality in return.

If the Kings were looking to trade Cousins to simply create cap space, Boston would become the overwhelming favorite to acquire Cousins with their Arsenal of assets to attach in acquiring him for a trade exception. Luckily for the Cavs, that's not the case.

To my knowledge, I don't think there is one team in a potential Cousins sweepstakes who could offer the star quality player in return the Cavs do in Kevin Love.... Boston does not have a Kevin Love to offer.

The fit for this trade begins there. Love is only 1 year older than Cousins, and is still the 25 ppg 15 rebound elite player Western Conference teams and organizations remember. He simply is not the best fit with the Cavs. Most times in these types of trades, a team is creating a giant hole while acquiring a tremendous upgrade elsewhere. Not here with these two teams. With Cauley Stein being the King's future at Center along with their most recent 1st round draft pick being a center, dealing Cousins would allow the Kings to keep Koufos as the vet center for a few more years on a very reasonable contract, 3 total.

Although the Kings are loaded at Center, they simply are not at PF, where Kevin Love would fill in admirably.

Not only does Love bring star quality return in trade, he also brings a 23 million dollar cap number which helps facilitate a potential blockbuster to happen.

In my blockbuster, I propose the Cavs ask for and receive:
C Demarcus Cousins
SF Rudy Gay
SG Ben McLemore

Send out:
PF Kevin Love
SG Iman Shumpert
PG Mo Williams

Kevin Love 21,165,675
Iman Shumpert 9,662,921
Mo Williams 2,194,500
Sasha Kahn 1,333,420

These salaries almost completely wash at 34 million and only 27 and change is needed floor 125%.

The Cavs could also offer Dunleavy to replace Gay, but I'm sure Divak would ask for Cedi Osman to be the future 3 and learn behind Casspi. They also have a 2020 1st round pick to dangle and pg prospect Felder to close the deal.

The impact to the Cavs lineup and makeup literally makes me salivate. With the development of Cousin's 3 point range, he would actually stretch the floor at the 5 position and the Cavs could simply plug Tristan Thompson back at his original PF 4 position. Gay would finally be the 3 off the bench to spell Lebron, an elite one at that. A very intriguing possibility would be when Lebron slides to the 4 in the Cavs death lineup, Gay would be the wing and play the 3...
PG: Irving
SG: Smith
SF: James
PF:Thompson
C: Cousins

Or
PG: Irving
SG: Smith
SF: Gay
PF: James
C: Cousins

McLemore would backup Smith at SG, taking Shumperts place.

Who can offer a better package than:
1) Kevin Love
2) Iman Shumpert
3) Mo Williams
4) Kay Felder
5) Jordan MaCray
6) Sasha Kahn
7) Salary relief trade exceptions
8) 2020 1st Rd pick
9) 2nd rounders
10) Rights to top euro Cedi Osman???

I don't want to laugh cause I see your vision and you put some time into it.....

Lol

Something like this

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

Not sure ripping apart a team that just won the championship and has been together for 2years and has invaluable finals experience for 2 guys that have zero playoff experience is wise. Let alone a trade built around a player who just had the worse season of his career and documented locker room problems and isn't actually better than love. Your essentially saying hit the reset button with team chemistry and style of play less than a month after winning a ship and not losing any core players...

I agree with the OPs opinions that the kevin love trade ideas suggestions are ridiculous and I appreciate that the OP then goes onto suggest a trade that is essentially prominent in the very same Love thread that he was blasting.

Cavs should absolutely go after Rudy Gay and Kosta Koufos, the later of which could likely be had for reasonable trade. Anything after that though, just doesn't make a lot of sense. Ben McLemore is slightly intriguing since he has yet to live up to his potential but there really isn't any need to add him to our roster.

Boogie Cousins is nothing more than a pipe dream, and you really have to understand the overwhelming amount of baggage that comes with him. We've spent 2 years trying to adjust getting Kevin Love to be our 3rd option, which hasn't been easy for him but he's handled it very well. How would that work for Boogie? Who takes an unhealthy amount of bad shots, shoots over 3 3's a game even though he's not any good at it, has serious temper tantrums and has had over 17 technical fouls in the past 2 seasons? Not to mention, even though his stats were extraordinary last year - they weren't much different than those of Kevin Love's in the Timberwolves -

Boogie this year with the Kings:26.9 points, 11.5 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 47% FG, 33% 3Pt
Kevin last year with Minnesota: 26.1 points, 12.5 rebounds, 4.4 assists, 45% FG, 38% 3Pt

And it should go without mentioning, but Kevin's style of play is far better to pair with LeBron & Kyrie than Cousins, who you'd *prefer* stays closer to the rim and attacks the interior. We obviously wish Kevin would just play a little better and with more consistency, and I think everyone is in agreement there - but there's really no use in trading him away for a player that ultimately takes you away from those things and would force you to adjust your offense entirely.

Oh, and did I mention it's also a pipe dream? The Kings just aren't going to trade Cousins for Love, and if they put Cousins on the trading block - they can get much better offers than what we can put together.

But I'm definitely right there with you with Koufos and Gay, I hope we find a way to get them on our team. But beyond that, really just don't see the point of even thinking about it.

Is this trade reasonably possible? Sure. Sac gets a player under contract that wouldn't be a headache that get's them closer to being a mediocre team. The balance of power in the NBA is made through trading for young players with potential and picks while tanking. This means that the Celtics can offer so much more. Love for Westbrook would make more sense, but that still is very unlikely to happen.

Don't want a head case on this team. No matter how talented he is. No thanks.

1. We are not trading Love, unless it makes us obviously better. The amount of time it's taking to get Love to a place where he is effective and accepting of his role as a third banana, is not something you just throw away easily.

2. Cavs don't want to Cousins. He is immensely talented and immensely immature. What makes you think he will completely change his entire demeanor if he came here?

I think you can just forget the idea of the Cavs trading Love unless circumstances change and you can forget the idea of the Cavs acquiring Boogie as long as David Griffin is the one calling the shots.

Gay is an interesting prospect for the Cavs, but other teams have more to offer for him. If the Cavs do make a move to acquire him, it will be closer to the trade deadline after the Kings have exhausted other trade opportunities. Kings are simply not going to give him to us for Iman Shumpert, Jordan McRea and a low first round pick in 2020, at least not at this time.

Cavs are looking to get faster and more athletic, so Koufos doesn't make a whole lot of sense, even though he is a serviceable player. Apparently Griffin likes McLemore, but he only has this season left on his contract, then we can't afford to keep him and we don't need him.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."