• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Sullinger impresses at LeBron's Camp

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

cav4sure

Rookie
Reaction score
Originally Published: July 6, 2009
Sullinger shows well on Day 1Comment Email Print Share By Reggie Rankin
Scouts Inc.
Archive
AKRON, Ohio -- About 80 of the nation's top high school basketball players are on display at the University of Akron's James A. Rhodes Arena this week for the LeBron James U.S. Skills Academy. The coaching staff is energetic, and has set the tone with intense drill work in all facets of the game. The players are learning the fundamentals of ball handling, passing, shooting, scoring moves off the dribble, coming off screens and the footwork that will help them take their games to the next level. Team offense was a primary emphasis, and the coaches made it a point to show the players how to move without the ball and help them understand the importance of floor spacing. There was limited live action on Day 1 Sunday, but during the short scrimmage at the end of the session, 6-foot-8 power forward Jared Sullinger (Columbus, Ohio/Northland) made his presence felt with his rebounding and finishing around the basket. Not to be outdone, Guo Ailun (Liaoning Panoan club team), a point guard from China, was impressive with his ballhandling and ability to pass.

Les Bentley for ESPN.com
Jared Sullinger should be an instant impact freshman at Ohio State.

Standout player

Sullinger went right to work, rebounding on both ends of the court with strength and power. If there is a better area rebounder in the Class of 2010, I have not seen him yet. Sullinger moves opponents out of the way with his big body, and snatches the ball with two hands as he clears out all incoming traffic in the lane. The Ohio State commit also is effective in the post. Sullinger spreads out in the post by getting low and wide, giving the passer a target to get the ball inside. He does a great job sealing his man with at least one foot in the paint. Sullinger is terrific at maintaining contact before making his scoring move. He loves to bang the defender with his body to get looks at the basket and improve his shooting percentage. He can score through contact, after getting deep in the lane, with a power drop step or jump hook over his left shoulder. Sullinger also passes well out of the post after drawing the double-team. He kicks out to open shooters, and hits players cutting through the lane. Sullinger seems to be more explosive than in the past; he took drop-off passes created by guard penetration and finished above the rim with ease. The big man was impressive in the short period of time he had to show off.

too bad we have to wait another year for sullinger :(

I just hope when he gets here, he'll stay for more than one year...lol

That boy is a beast

Isn't there another pretty high recruit from Indy coming to O State with JS? I heard he's moving to Columbus with his fam for this last year of high school, Don't know if it's true or not

EDIT

Deshaun Thomas

dude is a cold with it too

I just hope when he gets here, he'll stay for more than one year...lol
I'd say there is a good shot he is 1 and done. But who knows how his game will do in college.

Ohio State is looking at another kid from Northland as well. I don't know much about him but they call him Mr. Highlight down here in Columbus. His dunks are sick.

I'd say there is a good shot he is 1 and done. But who knows how his game will do in college.

Ohio State is looking at another kid from Northland as well. I don't know much about him but they call him Mr. Highlight down here in Columbus. His dunks are sick.

I don't see Jared Sullinger being a one and done. He is an ideal college player, but lacks that elite athleticism you'd want from a PF. DeShaun Thomas now could be a one and done. He is an NBA ready scorer and has a pretty good SF body. Hard to say for 100% fact if Thomas will be 1&done or not.

OSU is also looking at JD Weatherspoon who is a super athletic SF. He'd be a great fit to round out the class. He is raw and compares to Eric Wallace, even though JD is better. Would love for him to be a Buckeye, but it's not going to be the easiest thing to do.

They are also looking at 2011 PG Trey Burke from Columbus Northland...Doesn't have a OSU offer yet, but could be in line for one imo. I believe he already has offers from the MAC schools.

That boy is a beast

Isn't there another pretty high recruit from Indy coming to O State with JS? I heard he's moving to Columbus with his fam for this last year of high school, Don't know if it's true or not

EDIT

Deshaun Thomas

dude is a cold with it too

Yes, your referring to DeShaun Thomas. He is not moving to Columbus as previously rumored. He is staying in Fort Wayne and playing for the Bishop Luers and trying to become the all time leading scorer in Indiana high school history. He is currently 11th on the list and with a great year could overtake first place.

http://forums.bucknuts.com/showthread.php?t=39939&page=2

OSU 2010 class already has 5 commits and they are looking for probably one more. It'll probably end up being the #1 overall class. Weatherspoon is probably the most likely 6th commit, but a new name could always pop up.

James Weatherspoon is the highlight reel, he put on a show of dunks in the championship games this year. Trey Burke is nice too, be a couple years until he gets to college though

Sullinger reminds me of Al Jefferson.

Of course he is, he is a top 5 recruit for that year. He is going to be a great player, and we've got some other good recruits coming in that year including DeShaun Thomas, Lenzelle Smith Jr, and Aaron Craft. Too bad we will suck this year with no new recruits and just one consistent player in Evan Turner.

Of course he is, he is a top 5 recruit for that year. He is going to be a great player, and we've got some other good recruits coming in that year including DeShaun Thomas, Lenzelle Smith Jr, and Aaron Craft. Too bad we will suck this year with no new recruits and just one consistent player in Evan Turner.

We'll far from suck this year. We lose Bj Mullens, thats it. We pick up Zisis from transfer, he is an unknown at this point, and we get David Lighty back. Everyone is a year under their belt and have improved.

We'll far from suck this year. We lose Bj Mullens, thats it. We pick up Zisis from transfer, he is an unknown at this point, and we get David Lighty back. Everyone is a year under their belt and have improved.
Nah, we'll suck. According to OSU standards at least. We weren't very good last year either, we almost lost to Bowling Green.

Nah, we'll suck. According to OSU standards at least. We weren't very good last year either, we almost lost to Bowling Green.

I don't know how you're defining "good." We were an 8 seed last year... that's a pretty solid team. We're not gonna be a championship contender next year. But I think we'll have a good chance at the sweet 16, which I would consider a "good" team.

I don't know how you're defining "good." We were an 8 seed last year... that's a pretty solid team. We're not gonna be a championship contender next year. But I think we'll have a good chance at the sweet 16, which I would consider a "good" team.

"good" in the OSU standard is better than being 8th seeded, losing in the first round of the tourney, and losing/having it way too close with bad teams. I can't say I really expected them to be a good team though, Evan Turner really came almost from nowhere and was great all season. Without him, we would have been just terrible. I may not be an optimistic OSU fan, but I miss the days of Cook, Oden, and Conley. 10-11 season we will be a really great team again, IMO, and we could be something special if Turner decides he would like to stay for his senior season.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."