• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The 2020 Cleveland Indians

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Over the past 2-3 weeks, I've read several people say the Indians should blow it up, including a trade of Lindor, and rebuild, if they don't get back in the race by July. But does that make the most sense? Let's take a look at the Indians in 2020, as currently constructed (no deadline trades, winter free agent signings).

(Note: Year the Indians control through, then contract situation)

Players Under Control

C - Roberto Perez (2022, $3.5 M in 2020, $5.5 M team option in 2021, $7 M team option in 2022 ($450,000 buyout for both team options)
C - Kevin Plawecki (2021, arb-eligible in 2020)
1B - Carlos Santana (2021, $17.5 M in 2020, $17.5 Club Option for 2021; Mariners will pay portion of this)
1B - Jake Bauers (2025, pre-arb in 2020)
2B - Jose Ramirez (2023, $6.25 M in 2020, $9 M in 2021, $11 M team option in 2022, $13 M team option in 2023 ($2 M buyout for both team options)
SS - Francisco Lindor (2022, Arb-eligible in 2020)
3B – Yu Chang (Pre-arb)
IF - Max Moroff (2023, 575 K)
OF – Oscar Mercado (Pre-arb)
OF - Bradley Zimmer (2023, 575 K)
OF - Tyler Naquin (2022, Arb-eligible in 2020)
OF - Jordan Luplow (2023, 575 K)
OF – Daniel Johnson (Pre-Arb)
SP - Corey Kluber ($15.5 M team option in 2020, $16 M team option in 2021 ($1 M buyout for both team options)
SP - Trevor Bauer (2020, Arb-eligible in 2020)
SP - Carlos Carrasco (2023, $10.25 M in 2020, $12 M in 2021, 2022, $14 M in 2023)
SP - Mike Clevinger (2023, Arb-eligible in 2020)
SP - Shane Bieber (2024, Pre-arb in 2020)
RP - Brad Hand (2021, $7 M in 2020, $10 M club option in 2021)
RP - Adam Cimber (2024, Pre-arb in 2020)
RP - Oliver Perez (2019, $2.75 M vesting option in 2020*)
RP - Tyler Olson (2024, Pre-arb in 2020)
RP - Nick Goody (2022, Pre-arb in 2020)
RP - Jon Edwards (2023, Pre-arb in 2020)
RP - Nick Wittgren (2022, Pre-arb in 2020)

*-Perez can trigger the $2.75 million option if he remains healthy through the end of the 2019 season and makes at least 55 appearances. The option jumps to $3 million if he makes 60 appearances.

Other Options

OF - Greg Allen (2023, 575 K)
1B/DH - Bobby Bradley
SP - Adam Plutko (2022, Pre-arb in 2020)
SP - Zach Plesac (Pre-arb in 2020)
RP - James Karinchak
RP - Nick Sandlin
P - Danny Salazar (2020, Arb-eligible in 2020)
P - Cody Anderson (2021, Arb-eligible in 2020)

Pending Free Agents

2B - Jason Kipnis ($16.5 M team option in 2020 - $2.5 M buyout)
OF - Leonys Martin
RP - Dan Otero (2020, $1.5 M team option in 2020 - $100,000 buyout)

I actually think this a bit pre-mature and also I kind of want to leave Ramirez at 3rd base since 2nd base is easier to find than 3rd. @Steve_424 Also Stamets should be on the list not Max Moroff if you think about that one, so I would change that around a little bit.

opening-day.png

Rounded all the team control guys to 600k

Hypothetical trade of Bauer for Franmil Reyes + Michael Baez + Anderson Espinoza. Gives the Indians a legit power OF bat, or DH if he can't stick in the corners, with team control. Baez is a solid pitching prospect in AA. Espinoza a bit of a wild card coming off TJ. Hope the Indians staff can develop him. Maybe this doesn't seem like enough for Bauer, but with the Indians upcoming SP depth and Bauer's salary in his last year in Cleveland, a legit bat back seems decent?

With a $94m payroll, there should be available funds to allocate to the bullpen or a 2B/3B if they are not believers in Chang

opening-day.png

Rounded all the team control guys to 600k

Hypothetical trade of Bauer for Franmil Reyes + Michael Baez + Anderson Espinoza. Gives the Indians a legit power OF bat, or DH if he can't stick in the corners, with team control. Baez is a solid pitching prospect in AA. Espinoza a bit of a wild card coming off TJ. Hope the Indians staff can develop him. Maybe this doesn't seem like enough for Bauer, but with the Indians upcoming SP depth and Bauer's salary in his last year in Cleveland, a legit bat back seems decent?

With a $94m payroll, there should be available funds to allocate to the bullpen or a 2B/3B if they are not believers in Chang

Personally I would trade Bauer for Urias and prospects from San Diego, that would be kind of my target trade. We have solid OFs at the end of the day I feel for next season thats how I would go. Also McKenzie isn't ready for the bigs next season with the set back this year, so I would say Plutko is out of options, then guys like Jefry and Plesac could also end up there. I don't think McKenzie will be a factor til middle/late of next season.

Over the past 2-3 weeks, I've read several people say the Indians should blow it up, including a trade of Lindor, and rebuild, if they don't get back in the race by July. But does that make the most sense? Let's take a look at the Indians in 2020, as currently constructed (no deadline trades, winter free agent signings).

(Note: Year the Indians control through, then contract situation)

Players Under Control

C - Roberto Perez (2022, $3.5 M in 2020, $5.5 M team option in 2021, $7 M team option in 2022 ($450,000 buyout for both team options)
C - Kevin Plawecki (2021, arb-eligible in 2020)
1B - Carlos Santana (2021, $17.5 M in 2020, $17.5 Club Option for 2021; Mariners will pay portion of this)
1B - Jake Bauers (2025, pre-arb in 2020)
2B - Jose Ramirez (2023, $6.25 M in 2020, $9 M in 2021, $11 M team option in 2022, $13 M team option in 2023 ($2 M buyout for both team options)
SS - Francisco Lindor (2022, Arb-eligible in 2020)
3B – Yu Chang (Pre-arb)
IF - Max Moroff (2023, 575 K)
OF – Oscar Mercado (Pre-arb)
OF - Bradley Zimmer (2023, 575 K)
OF - Tyler Naquin (2022, Arb-eligible in 2020)
OF - Jordan Luplow (2023, 575 K)
OF – Daniel Johnson (Pre-Arb)
SP - Corey Kluber ($15.5 M team option in 2020, $16 M team option in 2021 ($1 M buyout for both team options)
SP - Trevor Bauer (2020, Arb-eligible in 2020)
SP - Carlos Carrasco (2023, $10.25 M in 2020, $12 M in 2021, 2022, $14 M in 2023)
SP - Mike Clevinger (2023, Arb-eligible in 2020)
SP - Shane Bieber (2024, Pre-arb in 2020)
RP - Brad Hand (2021, $7 M in 2020, $10 M club option in 2021)
RP - Adam Cimber (2024, Pre-arb in 2020)
RP - Oliver Perez (2019, $2.75 M vesting option in 2020*)
RP - Tyler Olson (2024, Pre-arb in 2020)
RP - Nick Goody (2022, Pre-arb in 2020)
RP - Jon Edwards (2023, Pre-arb in 2020)
RP - Nick Wittgren (2022, Pre-arb in 2020)

*-Perez can trigger the $2.75 million option if he remains healthy through the end of the 2019 season and makes at least 55 appearances. The option jumps to $3 million if he makes 60 appearances.

Other Options

OF - Greg Allen (2023, 575 K)
1B/DH - Bobby Bradley
SP - Adam Plutko (2022, Pre-arb in 2020)
SP - Zach Plesac (Pre-arb in 2020)
RP - James Karinchak
RP - Nick Sandlin
P - Danny Salazar (2020, Arb-eligible in 2020)
P - Cody Anderson (2021, Arb-eligible in 2020)

Pending Free Agents

2B - Jason Kipnis ($16.5 M team option in 2020 - $2.5 M buyout)
OF - Leonys Martin
RP - Dan Otero (2020, $1.5 M team option in 2020 - $100,000 buyout)

My version of this list, a projected 40 man roster with current in house only players:
*Means possibly added to the 40 man roster mix via the rest of the season
#Means likely traded this season if punting/Opt out of option year next season

Catchers:
Roberto Perez
Kevin Plawecki
Eric Haase
*Li-Jen Chu

INF:
1B Carlos Santana
2B Jason Kipnis#
SS Francisco Lindor
3B/2B Jose Ramirez
SS/Util Eric Stamets
3B/Util Yu Chang
1B Bobby Bradley
2B/Util Mike Freeman#
2B/Util Mark Mathias*
2B/Util Ernie Clement*
SS/Util Max Moroff*

OF:
Oscar Mercado
Greg Allen
Daniel Johnson*
Tyler Naquin
Jake Bauers
Jordan Luplow
Bradley Zimmer

SP:
Corey Kluber
Trevor Bauer#
Carlos Carrasco
Mike Clevinger
Shane Bieber
Adam Plutko#
Jefry Rodriquez
Zach Plesac
Danny Salazar#
Cody Anderson#
Chih-Wei Hu
Sam Hentges
Jean Carlos Mejia
Aaron Civale*
Eli Morgan*

RP:
Brad Hand
Oliver Perez#
Dan Otero#
Adam Cimber
AJ Cole
Jon Edwards
Nick Goody
Tyler Olson
Josh D. Smith
Nick Wittgren
James Karinchak*
Henry Martinez*
Nick Sandlin*
Robert Broom*
Kyle Nelson*

Honestly if i am going to analyze and speculate here, lets say no trades happen and we keep the roster we currently have, O. Perez, Otero, Kipnis, Salazar will out get released this off season. Plutko will be out of options, so he will be cut as well. Kipnis we won't take the option on, so that cuts him off the roster as well. We should have 10ish mil to play with in free agency if that all happens. Freeman I feel will be tried to be outrighted to AAA in the off season so we can add Mathias to the 40 man since he is rule 5 eligible then (rather have a 24 year than a 31 year old as the last 40 man spot if production is the same).

Leaves us with 7 spots for the 40 man roster, so we add OF Johnson, INF Mathias, SP Civale, RP Karinchak, RP Sandlin, RP Nelson and C Li-Jen Chu

From that my projected 25 man roster stating that we don't make anymore trades:

Catchers: Perez, Plawecki
INF: Santana, Bradley, Mathias/Chang, Ramirez, Lindor and Stamets.
OF: Mercado, Luplow, Naquin, Johnson, Bauers
SP: Kluber, Bauer, Carrasco, Clevinger, Bieber
RP: Hand, Nelson, Karinchak, Sandlin, Olson, Cimber, Wittgren

Lineup: Lindor, Mercado, Santana, Bradley, Ramirez, Luplow/Naquin, Johnson, Perez, Mathias/Chang

Last edited:
Why are the Rays good all of a sudden? Chris Archer.

They fleeced Pittsburgh! Indians need to fleece somebody for Bauer and jumpstart our 2020 offense.

They have great young pitching too. Much like us, Clev, Biebs, Triston, our staff will be great with or without Bauer.

The Rays are also good because they dumped Jake Bauers scrub ass on us.

Now if I trade Bauer, I would want let's say a package around 2B Urias from the Padres, so that would make a Plesac be our 5th starter instead, then in the lineup, the OF stays the same, but Urias would be our 8th/9th hitter.

Honestly our OF would be hard to decide from next season, hence why I feel I would rather get a top MLB ready INF prospect over an OF prospect.

Personally I would trade Bauer for Urias and prospects from San Diego, that would be kind of my target trade. We have solid OFs at the end of the day I feel for next season thats how I would go. Also McKenzie isn't ready for the bigs next season with the set back this year, so I would say Plutko is out of options, then guys like Jefry and Plesac could also end up there. I don't think McKenzie will be a factor til middle/late of next season.

These guys rank at the bottom of most every statistical category. Luplow is fine on the light end of the platoon, Mercado seems promising in his 2 weeks up, Zimmer hasn't played in a year and has a lot to prove at the plate, Allen hasn't shown much consistency, Bauers is young but is having a rough season, Naquin is Naquin, and I'm high on Daniel Johnson but he is still an unknown when it comes to contributing in the majors.

These guys rank at the bottom of most every statistical category. Luplow is fine on the light end of the platoon, Mercado seems promising in his 2 weeks up, Zimmer hasn't played in a year and has a lot to prove at the plate, Allen hasn't shown much consistency, Bauers is young but is having a rough season, Naquin is Naquin, and I'm high on Daniel Johnson but he is still an unknown when it comes to contributing in the majors.

Don't get me wrong I get that, but Reyes is a horrible defensive OF, though I do like his batting numbers, so he would end up a DH a fair amount of the time in the end. Their is a lot of talent in potential in that OF lineup, just none of them have gotten there/reached it yet. So it will be hard to say in the end, but either move works for us as well, I guess I feel we can go with Bradley in house for DH, and Urias as the future 2B over chang and you would end up going with Reyes as the DH and Chang/Mathias as the future 2B/3B in a sense.

I think the 2020 outfield fully depends on Zimmer. I see Mercado as an every day player, and think Luplow is fantastic in RF as part of a platoon. The other half could be Naquin. It could also be Daniel Johnson, although his splits have actually favored LHP in 2019. If Zimmer can be a productive player, you may have yourself an OF. With that said, if your OF is Zimmer/Mercado/Naquin/Luplow, you better add some pop elsewhere.

Moving Jose to 2B opens up 3B which is a key spot you'd want pop from. We'll also need pop from our DH spot.

LF, 3B, DH are giving us nothing this year. That's why we're 28th in offense.

I think the 2020 outfield fully depends on Zimmer. I see Mercado as an every day player, and think Luplow is fantastic in RF as part of a platoon. The other half could be Naquin. It could also be Daniel Johnson, although his splits have actually favored LHP in 2019. If Zimmer can be a productive player, you may have yourself an OF. With that said, if your OF is Zimmer/Mercado/Naquin/Luplow, you better add some pop elsewhere.

We won't be able to depend on Zimmer staying healthy. He reminds me of Sizemore, but Sizemore produced well before he ended up on the DL consistently. We could always move Santana to DH and call up Bradley. I would prefer to get a power hitting OF prospect or 3rd baseman for Bauer. Some team will give in at the deadline. He has been one of the best pitchers in baseball the past two seasons when healthy.

We won't be able to depend on Zimmer staying healthy. He reminds me of Sizemore, but Sizemore produced well before he ended up on the DL consistently. We could always move Santana to DH and call up Bradley. I would prefer to get a power hitting OF prospect or 3rd baseman for Bauer. Some team will give in at the deadline. He has been one of the best pitchers in baseball the past two seasons when healthy.

It's too early to say much about Zimmer, good or bad. If he gets hurt again this year after returning, maybe then he gets his with that tag.

My plan would be:

1) Trade Bauer in July - get the Yankees, Padres, Braves, and anyone else in a bidding war. The next best SP possibly available is probably Stroman, who isn't on the same level as Bauer when Bauer is at his best. Target a young, ML-ready arm and a controllable impact bat.

2) Let the kids play in the 2nd half - Oscar Mercado, Greg Allen, Tyler Naquin, Jordan Luplow, Bradley Zimmer, Yu Chang, Eric Haase, Bobby Bradley, etc - lets see who and will not be a part of the future of this team.

3) Trade Kluber this offseason - I know it's a tough pill to swallow to deal both he and Bauer, but he'll be 34 on opening day next year, didn't look good to start the year, and will be coming off another injury. $15.5 M is a lot for a guy who all of the sudden may be a huge question mark. This may be the last chance to get anything of significant value for him. I'd again target a young, ML-ready arm and a controllable impact bat.

4) Offer an extension to Clevinger - He's arbitration-eligible for the first time in 2020, but if he looks like himself once he returns from his injury I have no issue aggressively pursuing this.

In the Bauer/Kluber trades, I'm looking for the future at either 2B/3B (Jose can play the other) or OF/DH (we have plenty of OF, but need a big bat somewhere). Between the money saved from letting Kipnis walk and the Kluber/Bauer trades (even after arb raises) and the young talent you'd get back for Kluber/Bauer, I think you can actually improve the team pretty significantly. Maybe you even get crazy and throw an offer at Lindor. :chuckle:

My 2020 Indians:

C-Perez/Haase
1B-Santana
2B-Ramirez
SS-Lindor
3B-Trade/Free Agent
LF-Mercado
CF-Zimmer
RF-Naquin or Luplow/Johnson
DH-Trade/Free Agent

Carrasco
Clevinger