• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The 25 Worst NBA Contracts Right Now

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Randolphkeys

I'm Just Second-hand Strus
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This seems like the best time of the year to start a contract value thread. The top 25 players debate is still active three years later, so lets look at the other end:

Tier One: Batum at 3 years $78 million, Deng at 2 years and $37 million

Tier Two: Parsons at 2 years $50 million, Gallinari at 2 years $44 million, Ibaka 2 years $44 million, Noah at 2 years 38 million.

Tier Three: Mahinmi 2 years $31 million, Biyombo 2 years at $34 million, Gorgui Dieng 3 years at $48 million.

Tier Four: Wiggins at four years at $113 million, Conley three years at $97 million (team option last year), Brandon Knight 2 years at $30 million, Mozgov 2 years at $33 million.

Tier Five: James Johnson 3 years at $46 million, Omer Asik 2 years at $23 million, Patty Mills 3 years at $37 million, Tony Snell 3 years at $34 million, Dion Waiters 3 years at $36 million.

Tier Six: Ryan Anderson 2 years at $42 million, Dennis Schroder 3 years $46 million, Pau Gasol 2 years at $32 million, Tristan Thompson 2 years $36 million, Dellavedova two years at $19 million, Cody Zeller 3 years at $43 million, Meyers Leonard two years at $22.

Bubble:Ken Bazemore, George Hill, JR Smith, Wes Matthews, Dwight Howard, Evan Turner

Thoughts?

I personally don't have Conley on my list. I also wouldn't have Asik, KNight,, or Leonard due to the total $$. Otherwise, great list. Wiggins IMO is one of the worst because it still has so much time left and the total $$.

Batum is the worst, bar none.

This seems like the best time of the year to start a contract value thread. The top 25 players debate is still active three years later, so letsl look at the other end:

Tier Two: Parsons at 2 years $50 million, Gallinari at 2 years $44 million, Ibaka 2 years $44 million, Noah at 2 years 38 million.

Tier Three: Mahinmi 2 years $31 million, Biyombo 2 years at $34 million, Gorgui Dieng 3 years at $48 million.

Tier Four: Wiggins at four years at $113 million, Conley three years at $97 million (team option last year), Brandon Knight 2 years at $30 million, Mozgov 2 years at $33 million.

Tier Five: James Johnson 3 years at $46 million, Omer Asik 2 years at $23 million, Patty Mills 3 years at $37 million, Tony Snell 3 years at $34 million, Dion Waiters 3 years at $36 million.

Tier Six: Ryan Anderson 2 years at $42 million, Dennis Schroder 3 years $46 million, Pau Gasol 2 years at $32 million, Tristan Thompson 2 years $36 million, Dellavedt two years at $19 million, Cody Zeller 3 years at $43 million, Meyers Leonard two years at $22.

Bubble:Ken Bazemore, George Hill, JR Smith, Wes Matthews, Dwight Howard, Evan Turner

Thoughts?

I bolded the worst in my mind. These guys are unplayable. Parsons is the only one of those that should have gotten a big contract, and even that was a bad decision. Noah still with 2 years is mindblowing. They signed him to that and everyone knew it was the worst immediately. He should have to sweep up the garden for the rest of his life for that contract.

Otto Porter: 3 years/80 million

Yeah that right there is nuts. He should be getting like 16 on an overpay. When did he lock that in 2 years ago? I guess everyone had mad cap then.

I like how rich people tell poor people how they shouldn't be spending their money on stupid stuff, but Billionaires hand out contracts like that.

This seems like the best time of the year to start a contract value thread. The top 25 players debate is still active three years later, so letsl look at the other end:

Tier Six: Ryan Anderson 2 years at $42 million, Dennis Schroder 3 years $46 million, Pau Gasol 2 years at $32 million, Tristan Thompson 2 years $36 million, Dellavedt two years at $19 million, Cody Zeller 3 years at $43 million, Meyers Leonard two years at $22.

Thoughts?

I just would like to get some of the meth that the GMs were smoking, when they agreed to those contracts. Like, that must have been some seriously awesome crystal. Those GMs were feeling no pain, I can assure you that. I wan't to be as high as those guys were...

I personally don't have Conley on my list. I also wouldn't have Asik, KNight,, or Leonard due to the total $$. Otherwise, great list. Wiggins IMO is one of the worst because it still has so much time left and the total $$.

Eventually I will write out some justification, but my post is meant as a starting point. People should post their own top 25. That's how we do the top 20 players list, right?

Or we keep reading misinformation posted on Twitter every five minutes. I'm just becoming bored with that scene...

Tyler Johnson over the next two years is going to be making close to $40 million. That's awful for a slightly below average to average guard.

Tyler Johnson over the next two years is going to be making close to $40 million. That's awful for a slightly below average to average guard.

I honestly forgot about that one. Awful, has to bump somebody.

Otto Porter: 3 years/80 million

He is in that group with Gary Harris where they are young, showed a lot of potential to still improve and are unquestionable starters, but the bill is about to make such a huge jump I wonder if they can really meet the expectation.

Its easier for me to say a guy who has two years left on their contract and they are on the wrong side of 30 is a bad contract.

I had a harder time placing young players with bad contracts... aside from Wiggins. That shit is asinine.

You can't play Asik, Knight, or Meyers in the rotation. Thats really a waste of money. Conley was my hipster choice to shake things up. I wanted to trade Irving for him last summer, but then he got hurt yet again. He can't play more than three months in a row anymore and gets paid franchise player money. He's a sneaky bad contract.

Ive got all of the Hornets contracts on my list. So id add MKG and Marvin Williams.

Makes one wonder how they can possibly entertain not trading Kemba. Theres no fixing that roster for a long, long time.

Ill post a top 20 later.

Also, I think at least an argument can be made for John Wall. Now that seems silly, considering he produces at a star level, but of all of the potential supermax players, hes the worst imo. Dont have him in my top 20 players in the NBA (probably not top 25) and yet he's getting supermax money.

This seems like the best time of the year to start a contract value thread. The top 25 players debate is still active three years later, so lets look at the other end:

Tier Six: Ryan Anderson 2 years at $42 million, Dennis Schroder 3 years $46 million, Pau Gasol 2 years at $32 million, Tristan Thompson 2 years $36 million, Dellavedova two years at $19 million, Cody Zeller 3 years at $43 million, Meyers Leonard two years at $22.

Thoughts?
Great work.

My first thought is that the first tier is reserved for players who because of a combination of age, injury, and/or play style simply can not give you anything worthwhile for the remaining life of their deals.

So Tier One, for me, is:
Parsons, Noah, Deng

Everything else you can quibble with but to me those are the three worst contracts in the NBA because there is zero chance any of those three guys can contribute w meaningful minute in the next two years to a winning team.

Batum, for example, is a horrible contract and a disappointing player, but put him in the right team and he can be a non negative.

That’s all I’ve got

I honestly forgot about that one. Awful, has to bump somebody.

He is in that group with Gary Harris where they are young, showed a lot of potential to still improve and are unquestionable starters, but the bill is about to make such a huge jump I wonder if they can really meet the expectation.

Its easier for me to say a guy who has two years left on their contract and they are on the wrong side of 30 is a bad contract.

I had a harder time placing young players with bad contracts... aside from Wiggins. That shit is asinine.

You can't play Asik, Knight, or Meyers in the rotation. Thats really a waste of money. Conley was my hipster choice to shake things up. I wanted to trade Irving for him last summer, but then he got hurt yet again. He can't play more than three months in a row anymore and gets paid franchise player money. He's a sneaky bad contract.

So I'm interested in your justification for Deng being a tier higher than Noah and Parsons.

Gonna have my list in the morning but Tony Snell is high up for me. He's such a useless waste of space on the floor. And even though the numbers arent the biggest, the length is.

3 more years that you have to pay a guy who, quite honestly, probably isn't an NBA caliber player. He is the one guy who might legitimately be a worse starting guard than JR Smith.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."