• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Final Nail in Paxson's Coffin

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pioneer10

Come home Sideshow Bob
Reaction score
I don't know what else to say but the Welsh trade could reach near-Ferry/Harper level futility. Bear with me but this could be the trade that leads to Bron leaving us:

If we were playing well then this wouldn't be an issue as FA's would be interested but since we're not - we could have used that lottery pick (or package it with Sasha to move up) to get a guy like Deron Williams or Felton. Instantly the PG gets solidified. Now you resign Z we could have a ton of money (remember Welsh takes up cap space) to get a top notch SG. Bam tough starting lineup with guys like Luke, Newble, Felton/Williams, and Av off the bench

Now without this draft pick and missing the playoffs. I fear not only will we be able to sign a SG because players will shigh away from signing with a team in turmoil. Even we get a SG (a spot we have two young prospects already) But we still have to fill the PG need. Now this could trigger a Z sign and trade. This could be used to fill the PG spot, but from what I've seen there is nobody in FA we could get to really fill Z shoes. They're either restricted or players already similar to Gooden/AV.

This is going to be a very difficult offseason. Again if we get into the playoffs and have a good showing or get a respected GM/coach, this could be all nil, but this once promising offseason could lead to disaster. Lose Z, no PG, and no good SG. This will lead to mediocrity next year and the eventual loss of Lebron. Gilbert needs to make sure he gets a good GM to take control of this teetering ship

At the time the trade sounded pretty good because we thought we got us a great push off the bench. Plus he was can shoot the ball better then most of our team. So why not try and trade the draft pick and make a push for the playoffs. At the time we thought we had the playoffs locked up and now just trying to build go deep into the playoffs.

But now we are struggling.. lucky to even make the playoffs and Welsch hasn't done anything to help the team at all. So now it might cost us a lot. It was a gamble during the trade deadline and the bottom line is that we loss the bet. Hopefully the trade really doesn't end up screwing us.

Not trying to be the expert after the event, but I was quite confused by the trade from the start. It was reportedly the 2nd part of a trade, in which the 1st part broke down, yet we still went through with it. It also as noted before ate up cap space, which we were trying to tie up some significant players with. It also took away a draft pick which could have been used to fill 1 of many holes in our lineup. All we have done is create a group of limited value swingmen off the bench, in which we will receive little for. Welsch, Sasha, Newble and Jackson all vying for the same minutes, which means a roster move. None of these players will bring back something we want.

Think any team is stupid enough to trade us their #1 for Jiri? I wish...

Jiri could very well end up being a good contributer on our bench. Things look really bad for him at the moment because the confidence level that this kid has had been sunk down to the lowest level possible. He lost his starting spot in Boston and then got traded at the deadline, the kid has mixed emotions. I understand that he sucks up some cap space, but we have tradable players on the team that we can package together, (Sasha).

I know we are all high on Sasha, and would love to see this kid grow on the team, but when you have basically 3 of the same players on the squad, your going to have to get rid of one of them. Sasha is probably the most attractive player that will be on our block, and we can probably package him with someone and get a 1st rounder and another player in return.

Sasha shows the most promise at this point because he's actually getting minutes. I agree with you in the fact that Jiri might still become something solid for us off the bench.

I wouldn't be heartbroken if we traded Sasha for a pick, as long as the trade did NOT include Anderson. I really think AV is going to be a beast in this league. Or maybe I'm a homer..

Welsch is gone, one way or the other, he is out of here.

Sasha may be as well, he is almost the same player as Luke, and Id rather have Luke than Sasha.

Wouldnt mind keeping both, but it doesnt make sense to.

paxson mortgaged the future to cover up his awful drafts and bad management. he's gone for sure.

we need to get shooters for sure but from what i see our team speed, athleticism and toughness are all in question.

we could use a shooting guard that defends (imo simmons from the clipps). i don't see m. redd doing that.

a young 6' to 6'1" point guard that can zoom like boykins. i think there is a possibility of picking one up through free agency (out of college). even without a draft pick, you stick a four year college kid out there with lebron and a better shooting guard he'll look fine. there is only two rounds in the draft and throw in euros, young points will fall out and i'd bring two to three into camp.

just look at our group at sf and sg.

lebron - crazy athlete
newble - maybe maxed effectiveness this year. has trouble finishing in traffic.
sasha - good athlete for a euro but not overly athletic
luke - who knows (generalization - slow white guy that can shoot), high bb iq, maybe.
jiri - if we keep him, he needs a summer to find his shot again. not overly athletic either.

add in snow at point slowing down each year he plays and maxing out his potential with hustle.

we want to run but our team, as of right now, can't even keep up.

Lets see, At the deadline we trade for Jiri Welch, Philadelphia trades for Chris Webber and New Jersey trades for Vince Carter. I am just puzzled why those teams are in the playoffs and we are doing our best not to be!

By the way, I don't think you pass Sasha for Luke. Sasha has been pretty consistent off the bench.

In this offseason you would have to be a complete moron not to improve the team. We are basically without four players on the bench (Wagner, Diop, Williams, and Luke) and getting zero out of Harris and Welsch. If we resign Z, and Traylor then we have Lebron, Z , Goober, VJ,Snow, Sasha, Luke, Traylor and Newble committed. It appears we will not resign JMac, so we will go out and get three more players, one of which could be a marquee SG. The other two will be a youngish Center and a point guard.

I am not sure of Jiri's contract details. If he is locked in for next year we will have to trade him or waive him or Luke. I am not keen on the idea of him playing point guard.

The Cavs wanted to keep their possible major cap space for this offseason. They weren't going to make a trade this season to take on a big salary.

The Welsch trade was a mistake. I don't think he can be brought back since if the Cavs miss the playoffs they would have given up a lottery pick for an average bench player. I'd hope to move him for a future #1 or even 2 #2's.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."