• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Great Bullpen Struggle of 2018

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stark

The Winds of Winter
Reaction score
We've pretty much got 1.5 guys in the bullpen right now with Miller on the DL and really not looking like himself.

• Cody Allen is a good to great closer and should be the least of any of our concerns.
  • Andrew Miller, when healthy, is one of the elite lefty relievers in baseball. Problem is, he hasn't been healthy all year and just started another stint on the DL. He's also 33 years old now, so who knows if and when he's going to hit the first stage of his decline.
  • Tyler Olson is a solid lefty matchup guy but nothing more than that.

The rest:
  • Zach McAllister: 0-2, 6.75 ERA, 1.39 WHIP, 18.2 IP, 16 K, 5 BB, -0.5 WAR
  • Dan Otero: 0-1, 6.62 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, 17.2 IP, 15 K, 2 BB, -0.6 WAR
  • Nick Goody: 0-2, 6.94 ERA, 1.71 WHIP, 11.2 IP, 12 K, 5 BB, -0.3 WAR, 10-day DL
  • Neil Ramirez: 0-0, 13.50 ERA, 2.62 WHIP, 2.2 IP, 3 K, 0 BB, -0.3 WAR
  • Evan Marshall: 0-0, 16.88 ERA, 3.38 WHIP, 2.2 IP, 2 K, 3 BB, -0.1 WAR
  • Ben Taylor: 0-0, 2.70 ERA, 0.90 WHIP, 3.1 IP, 5 K, 1 BB, 0.1 WAR
  • Josh Tomlin: 0-4, 7.60 ERA, 1.60 WHIP, 34.1 IP, 19 K, 6 BB, -0.9 WAR

I still think that Otero and Goody can be usable guys out of the pen, but McAllister, Ramirez, Marshall, and Tomlin are all cooked. Haven't seen enough nor do I know enough about Ben Taylor to give an educated opinion, but his numbers (in 3.1 IP) are the best of that bunch.

Discuss.

You know how some relief pitchers have "entrance music" when they go from the bullpen to the mound? The Indians just need to play this song as the default:

You know how some relief pitchers have "entrance music" when they go from the bullpen to the mound? The Indians just need to play this song as the default:

Uh no matter how bad this gets, in no way does this team deserve to have the theme song of Johnny Manziel played.

Said it in another thread, but McAllister has rebounded and been pretty good in May.

11 IP
2.45 ERA
10.6 K/9
0.91 WHIP
Had a couple great innings today.

Said it in another thread, but McAllister has rebounded and been pretty good in May.

11 IP
2.45 ERA
10.6 K/9
0.91 WHIP

Yeah, not sure what makes him cooked but Otero and Goody are still salvageable. They've all been good in the past, and their stuff isn't any different. Wouldn't be a shock to see each of them turn it around. Still, need another arm or two.

In all honesty, if Andrew Miller were healthy and good this year, we'd probably be about 30-21 instead of 26-25. He's blown 3 games this month alone, not to mention the games that were blown because he was unavailable.

They really just need Miller to get healthy and add one reliable late-inning reliever that can get it done in high leverage situations. If Miller can't get healthy or they need to limit his workload, they'll need to add another arm. They'll be able to accomplish this, but they key is surviving until July when the prices oon these relievers will drop significantly compared to now.

They really just need Miller to get healthy and add one reliable late-inning reliever that can get it done in high leverage situations. If Miller can't get healthy or they need to limit his workload, they'll need to add another arm. They'll be able to accomplish this, but they key is surviving until July when the prices oon these relievers will drop significantly compared to now.
No, we need to acquire 2 good relievers tops. I won't settle with one knowing of this situation.

I could have sworn the Indians had him in camp back when he first flamed out as a starter w/ Mets. Must be thinking of someone else. I also remember him being a guy who scouts thought was fudging his age back when he first came up w the Padres. Looks like was telling the truth tho, certainly looks like he is 36.

I was at the Rockies game last night and Bryan Shaw got his ass booed off the mound as Matt Kemp destroyed him..

‘Twas glorious....

I was at the Rockies game last night and Bryan Shaw got his ass booed off the mound as Matt Kemp destroyed him..

‘Twas glorious....
Those Rockies fans are just uniformed

Those Rockies fans are just uniformed
Lets inform them: Thin air does not go well with Bryan

Home ERA 9.69 IP 13.0 Hits 20 SO 12 BAvg .364 Slg% .618
Away ERA 4.02 IP 15.2 Hits 14 SO 17 BAvg .241Slg% .466

Not even Cleveland stats in away games.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."