• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Hack a Shaq Rule - what do you think?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should the rules change?

• Hell no - players should learn how to FT, till then it's fair game

Votes: 49 89.1%
  • Hell yes - It ruins the sport and flow of the game - change it now!

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • No - and here is why...

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Yes - and here is why...

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

2Fluffy4U

Towel Waver
Reaction score
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2016/02/04/report-silver-says-changes-coming-to-hack-a-shaq-rule/

So - what do you guys think?
As much as I LOVE watching Delly piggy back big guys..(PRICELESS:)) I personally don't like this tactic and wish fouls that are away from the ball would be considered 'tech' and not worthy. The main tactic then - would be for the defense to try and channel the ball to a terrible FT player and then foul him. IMO that is a lot more interesting and tactical as well as sportive.

Going to repeat what I said in the playoffs thread.

There are only three players in the league that are consistently victimized by the hack-a-Shaq rules. It happens to other guys sparingly. We're basically changing the rule to appease three players. That's kind of ridiculous if you ask me.

Sure let's accommodate to 3 players in the league.

Fuck that, they are professional athletes that get payed millions, shooting free throws should be their easiest job skill.

Let me know when a job accommodates to your strongest weakness, just because you can't do one thing right while 98% of others can.

Get better, it's that simple. Find a technique that fits. Go Rick Barry on them.

Sure let's accommodate to 3 players in the league.

Fuck that, they are professional athletes that get payed millions, shooting free throws should be their easiest job skill.

Let me know when a job accommodates to your strongest weakness, just because you can't do one thing right while 98% of others can.

Get better, it's that simple. Find a technique that fits. Go Rick Barry on them.

What I haven't seen yet and I wonder if it's just me, but theoretically speaking - teams can use away from ball fouls regardless of the FT%, lets say curry gets the ball mid court and about to throw a three pointer to clinch a tie or win- anyone could just hug their player and consistently prevent him from ever shooting the ball.. Is that correct?

Leave it as is.

Guys like Drummond and DeAndre Jordan should be able to hit 55%, which would nullify teams hacking them. I really believe if they the underhanded shot it would help.

This is insane that they will not even try the unerhanded shot because of some macho thing. They don't want to look stupid. If I was their çoach I would make them at least try.

They can't be on the floor because they are afraid of looking silly? Hello, you are really silly because y9u are such a liability!

It's an exploit of the rules but it is the rules so if you don't like it as a coach then don't play horrible FT shooters late in games.

To the ppl saying it makes games take longer and isn't strategy I think your wrong. It's part of the game and to me it's interesting to see how some players react. If your best player can't shoot FTs then I'm sorry but that's his fsult for not practicing.

If there was some rule where you could make the worst 3 point shooter on the team shoot one wide open do you think ppl wouldn't be abusing it? What about if there was a rule where the worst dunker on the other had to dunk from 5 feet away. Do you think people wouldn't be fouling Delly and making him dunk

How's it exploiting rules? Not to you personally, Kizzle, but this is something JVG always says and he also says "the NBA is the only league/level where this happens".

Like shit, I remember in high school if we were struggling to get separation from a team, once we got to 6 fouls we would target the worst FT shooter on the other team and watch them miss the front end of a 1 and 1. The same tactic is used in CBB too.

If his gripe is the off ball fouls sending guys to the line, then the hole gets dug deeper too, IMO. If you start to "penalize" the off ball stuff, where does the line cross? And how long until teams just hide the fact that they are hacking guys by doing it in the middle of an offensive set instead of on the other side of the court?

The only way the hack a whoever shit goes away is if guys make their free throws...plain and simple...if not, and they do put a penalty on blatantly fouling guys to send them to the line with out the ball, I don't think it will take very long for coaches to find "legal" ways to still foul those guys and send them to the line a bunch...and then we are right back to square one.

This video is all Drummond should watching this offseason

While we are at it, we should make it illegal for people to score on Steph Curry or James Harden. But only those two though otherwise it wouldn't be fair.

Shooting free throws is the easiest thing to do in the NBA.

A stand still shot with no one near you. It's embarrassing if you're that bad at it.
If we take statistics into account - obviously we will find difference in FT% among players.. What % would you consider to be an OK FT%? Lets say all 5 players on court shoot at 75% at least. wouldn't you as a coach still direct your players to not foul the 95% but the 75% instead? (not HACK a SHAQ, just a preferable foul just in case one must be made).

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."