• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The NBA Officiating (is garbage) Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stark

The Winds of Winter
Reaction score
I feel like this thread is long overdue.

Discuss the trash officiating from around the league, videos encouraged.

Yeah we are being fucked lol

NBA just want to balance it out once IT is ready to play. He is going to give us 10 FTA per game all by himself, so there are no FTs available for Lebron if you want to make the games some what fair. It would just look bad if they were giving Lebron FTs and then take it away from him once IT came back.

When Durant says Lebron "is Just to big" but a good defensive player like Durant is gonna Nudge James at the perfect time when he is turning a corner where it looks like there is no contact but its just enough to put a train like Lebron of his tracks. Its taking advantage of all the swipe fouls on Lebron that do not get called because he is so physical. Shaq is the only other player in the NBA where the rules are different because said player would make the game boring to watch. I have always said that if you called all the fouls that occurred on Lebron/Shaq the final 5 minutes would involve bench players 10-15 closing out games....

Yeah we are being fucked lol

NBA just want to balance it out once IT is ready to play. He is going to give us 10 FTA per game all by himself, so there are no FTs available for Lebron if you want to make the games some what fair. It would just look bad if they were giving Lebron FTs and then take it away from him once IT came back.

The major concern is that his ft rate drops drastically. It will be so fucked if the smallest guy in the league can't get any calls on this team.

I've never seen a team get the benefit of the doubt like GS. Like Durant is legit good at blocking shots. Why the need to inflate that?

Because LeBron is so all time great that the league has to give Golden State and Durant an advantage just to compete with him. LeBron is like Wilt. To bring the rest of the competition up to where he is, they over inflate other players (Harden, Durant, Greek Freak) and officiate him differently. LeBron said it himself, they are trying to make him into a jumpshooter and discourage him from driving, where he puts any defense at a disadvantage when doing so.

NBA refereeing is a joke. It's actually quite crazy how much better the Euroleague refs are. There's no reputation/superstar calls. Refs don't give a shit what the back of your jersey says. Now granted there aren't any LeBron/Durant level players in Europe, so that might be one of the reasons.

Officiating across all leagues is garbage (NBA, NFL, NCAA, MLB). I brought it up in the Browns thread, and this isn't to excuse the Browns play, because they suck, but the confirmation bias a regular human has, makes calling these games damn near impossible. It's just human psychology.

When you see a 6'11" Kevin Durant merely touch LeBron, an all time human specimen, it's hard to blow a whistle and call a foul based on the parameters laid in the NBA Officiating book. All these phrases like breaking rhythm, knocking a player off course, disrupting their movement, etc. It's hard for a human brain to take into account something that would do any of those things to a guy like LeBron.

In the NFL, other thins come into play....illegal contact, defensive PI, defensive holding......Any time Cleveland is leading a game, a magic call is made against them that extends another teams drive. We rarely get the benefit of the doubt unless it is just so blatantly obvious...and even if it is blatantly obvious (for example Josh Gordon getting interfered with in endzone against Green Bay) we still don't the flag. You can't tell me in NFL, which jersey you are wearing doesn't influence calls.

In summary....all officiating sucks, and I doubt it ever gets better. Humans can only be so objective.

In baseball they have the technology to replace the Umpire with sensors and have 100% accurate balls/strikes. But they don't implement it - ostensibly because it takes the 'human element' out of the game.

Basketball is 10000% more difficult - basically every touch could be a foul. It seems like an art more than a science. The ref's own personality is part of the game, and Im not sure how it could be taken out of the game. (without lengthy reviews every few seconds of game time)

Maybe Google can come up with some good AI/Machine-vision to call fouls. Actually, they probably could, now that I think about it. That's probably how the league will go in 10 years or so, imho.

But baseball will have to switch over first (much easier to ump/ref)

For now, we really can’t remove humans out of the game, but we could move them off the courts. The 3 could watch different camera angles, even maybe have one that could remotely adjust camera to better see the action. That should improve calls a lot.
Also sensors in the jerseys, to measure push/hit force and some thresholds would be calculated via weight factor, because a lot of flops originate from the torso contact.

I must admit I am not a fan of weak (SC/KD...) players benefiting so much from the soft sport this has become. The balance between skill and athletic talents used to be much more important, but now it looks a fing no contact practice.

I wondered if it has something to do with agendas against “visual” violence and so called political correctness. Which is pretty absurd if you take into account the usual hypocrisy and double standards of the current society.

For now, we really can’t remove humans out of the game, but we could move them off the courts. The 3 could watch different camera angles, even maybe have one that could remotely adjust camera to better see the action. That should improve calls a lot.
Also sensors in the jerseys, to measure push/hit force and some thresholds would be calculated via weight factor, because a lot of flops originate from the torso contact.

I must admit I am not a fan of weak (SC/KD...) players benefiting so much from the soft sport this has become. The balance between skill and athletic talents used to be much more important, but now it looks a fing no contact practice.

I wondered if it has something to do with agendas against “visual” violence and so called political correctness. Which is pretty absurd if you take into account the usual hypocrisy and double standards of the current society.

I think it's just that the league wants to limit potentially dangerous plays, and get out in front of fouls that could lead to altercations.

I think it's just that the league wants to limit potentially dangerous plays, and get out in front of fouls that could lead to altercations.
I can understand that part, I just think it can go to far or at least it is too inconsistent.

The thing that legit bothers me more than when my team doesn't egt the calls in the NBA is the bias on blocks. I don't know if they cannot see what is going on, but a block vs a foul call in the NBA has more to do with reputation than anything. The 3 or 4 guys known as shot blockers get a lot of block calls and everyone else just gets shafted. Durant is gets the benefit of the doubt too much here

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."