• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The NBA Ref thread.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Snarly

Count Duckula.
Reaction score
It is about damn time we talked about this crap. I am not saying this is blame them for everything. However I feel this is a topic that is long over done and needs to brought to attention. I am looking at them as they think they are WWF refs, and that worries me. Some here should know the story and... What do you think is the reffing fair?

I think there are some unwritten rules to try to keep the games going and entertaining, which can have side effects on winning for specific fans. Can't call a foul every play, so it is considered better to help the teams who are down deep, especially if they are the home team.

However, national TV deals and League Pass are changing this as every call can be video replayed by everyone worldwide. Therefore, over time the calls will need to trend toward fair, or there would be backlash.

So generally I think calls are fair, and just spicy enough with non calls or controversy to add to the overall entertainment (like two FT for Iggy at GS OKC game....boy that added drama to end of a great game, knowing Finals MVP, 65% shooter had game on the line). So I think that calls that could go either way tend to get called in a way the tends to reward the team the refs think deserves an advantage. That call rewarded GS hustle, added drama and was legit, so it gets called. Earlier contact on a lot Of warriors paint finishes were no calls. I think they were no-calls because they wanted the play to flow, the finishes were not super athletic, and that the refs felt the warriors should have been able to finish with that level of contact (in the refs minds). Some brush calls were called on warriors, after Westbrook make brilliant moves, when OKC was playing well, so I suspect the refs wanted to reward his athleticism and felt OKC deserved to preserve their lead. So I think the drive entries to the paint, that have good moves, get more calls than passing entries with a forced move to the rim. If the warriors hadn't made a spectacular steal... say they were inbounding with a few sec left, I don't think it is a call for Iggy. Just my interpretation of the calls/non calls. As a warriors fan I was mad at the non calls I thought we deserved, but I am biased.

Last edited:
How many teams are there in the NBA now?

It is about damn time we talked about this crap. I am not saying this is blame them for everything. However I feel this is a topic that is long over done and needs to brought to attention. I am looking at them as they think they are WWF refs, and that worries me. Some here should know the story and... What do you think is the reffing fair?

NBA refs blow dick. Next question.

I have been thinking about starting a site like Pro Football Focus but dedicated totally to refs. With that being said I don't have the time/IT knowledge to pull it off. But here is the premise:

Start charting how many times players get fouls called for them/against them with the following criteria
- Ref who called foul
- their average of players in lane per fouls called
- Where foul took place (Lane, Open court, etc)
- ratio of how many times they take ball in the lane with out call
etc.

I think you get the gist. I just watch some of these games where guys literally get breathed on yet no call, but then you have bron who arguably takes the ball to the rim more than anyone in league and he doesn't get nearly as many calls for how much he takes the ball to hole with the obvious contact he gets.

Officiating needs to be transparent and regulated. It's been a mess for a long time. Believe it or not, it's a lot better than it used to be.

The fact that there isn't agreement in most situations (close calls/non calls) even with instant replay in slow motion goes to show just how difficult the job is. The faster the game moves the tougher the job. And it doesn't get any faster than the NBA.

The big problem is how the officiating is reviewed. For 25 years the NBA would reward a small group of officials that weren't any good and were constantly making calls outside their zone with playoff assignments (more money, prestige, etc). If your bosses gave raised/promotions to certain behaviors, that is how employees would tailor their actions. And for a long time that was to give the Bulls, Lakers, etc every imaginable benefit. I truly believe that has largely gone by the wayside. But a ton of residual mess still comes around regularly. Especially with the old guard (Crawford, Crawford, etc). Joey routinely makes calls 25 feet away from his responsibilities. Which means he can't possibly be watching the area he is supposed to be.

I'm short, it's getting better. But in order to fix officiating they need to get rid of the old guard. And that is going to take some time.

Last edited:
48889180.jpg

Refs looking as bad as ever. They better get their shit together..

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."