• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Opening Night Optimism Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AllforOne

... and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Reaction score
Is it weird that I am actually looking more forward to this Cavs season than I was to 2017-18? Is is strange that I'm more excited about a team without LeBron James than one with him?

It probably is. But let me explain.

The past couple of seasons, we pretty much knew what was going to happen. We knew that from October to mid-April, we would have a team that, in any given month, would give a total effort maybe once, completely mail it in two or three times, and then play at half-speed the remaining games. We knew that any hope of running sets, or providing effort on defense, would be completely at the whim of one LeBron Raymone James. Once they got to the playoffs (a foregone conclusion, of course), they would flip an imaginary switch, give a greater effort, burn down whatever Eastern Conference teams were in their path, and then get pasted by Golden State in June (2016 notwithstanding).

More than that, it wasn't fun basketball to watch. We knew that LeBron didn't care about the regular season, beyond the minimal baseline effort needed to get into the postseason (the NBA's official motto: "we play 82 games to see which four teams don't make the playoffs!"). The Cavs won 50 games last season, and probably should have won 42-45, based on their numbers. Potentially exciting young players like Cedi Osman had to ride the pine because of the win-right-now mentality.

And it goes without saying that every season was a never-ending soap opera. LeBron, for better or worse, thrives on attention; he's always going to be at the center of controversy. It's exhausting to be around that day after day. After eleven total years of that sideshow, and the attendant "when will he leave Cleveland?" speculation, it's kind of nice to not have it around.

It's also great to have more young talent on hand than we've seen in a while. Unlike 2010, when LeBron first let the door hit him in the ass on the way out, the Cavs' cupboard isn't bare. Collin Sexton is a player. Osman has shown flashes of promise. Larry Nance Jr. is not only a feel-good story; he's a talented big man who will hopefully take the next step forward with bigger minutes. Jordan Clarkson, Rodney Hood, Sam Dekker, Ante Zizic, David Nwaba, Billy Preston ... they all bring some level of "let's see some more" curiosity about them, and they're all still on the upside of their careers.

Fortunately, this is not 2010 all over again, when the franchise had no choice but to start from square one. There are a lot of veterans on this team, guys who are used to winning, and will (hopefully) keep those youngsters from getting into bad habits. It starts with Kevin Love. Ideally, he'd be the second- or third-best player on the team; but now, he's the guy. He's well capable of averaging 20 and 10 a night, and he's better equipped to be the unquestioned leader than he was in Minnesota five years ago. Kyle Korver and Channing Frye are valuable guys to have around. They aren't going to win you a ton of games by themselves (besides, I would expect Korver to be dealt to a contender at midseason), but again, they are the kind of players that all of the youngsters need to be around and learn from. George Hill, too, to a lesser degree. I'm not forgetting about Tristan or Swish; but they are both overpaid relics of the Bron 2.0 era, and it remains to be seen if they can step up as veteran leaders.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not delusional. I know that this team has zero chance of making a fifth straight Finals appearance. I know that this team's ceiling is probably a .500ish record and a first-round playoff exit; that the more likely ending is 30-some wins; and that there's a decent chance the bottom could fall out. All of us Cleveland sports fans will be paying a lot more attention to the Indians next April and May than we have the past few years.

That said, the important lesson here is that the journey is far more important than the destination. While this season's Cavs journey will almost surely end well before the past four years, it should also be quite a bit more fun day to day. I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure there will be times the next six months when I think back to these words and wonder "what the hell was I thinking?" But overall, it promises to be a worthwhile trip.

Now let's throw that rock in the air and play some ball.

Basically every regular season with LeBron was like watching the trailers before the the real movie starts. You can get excited about one or two trailers but you are there for the movie so you don't really care or pay that much attention to it.

That's why this season, or any other season without LeBron is more exciting (the regular season, that is). To add to that, this time we have a young core with actual hopes of development and i think most of us agree that it's a lot more fun to watch a young team develop, even if the results are not as positive, than a bunch of older guys play into mediocrity year after year.

So yeah, i don't think it's that strange to feel like that, i think we all, or most of us feel the same.

I am trying not to lie to myself. This team, more likely than not, is a fringe playoff team.

The reason for optimism, though? Their biggest contributors and best players, outside of Love, should be long term pieces. Guys like Cedi, who I believe is just scratching the surface of his point forward abilities.

Guys like Sexton, who are still so raw but has all the physical talent in the world. A guy who is willing and wants to put in the work to get better. It's what separates guys like Jaylen Brown from a guy like Donovan Mitchell.

Guys like David Nwaba. People think hes the next Alonzo Gee, but Nwaba has much more of a track record. A real life NBA defender, a guy with a good looking shot just looking for an NBA home.

We still have a core from a 4 straight Finals team. We can talk about Dan Gilbert and the mountains of turmoil this team consistently has gone through, but at the end of the day, it's still a culture of winning. Guys like Koby Altman, Tyronn Lue, to the players like TT, Korver, JR and Love. They know what winning feels like, what it looks like, and most importantly, how to get there.

The difference between 2010 and 2018 is vastly different with this team. The best player on the 2010 team was fringe All Star Mo William's. Kevin Love is, arguably, a HOF big man. We have legit prospects like Cedi, Sexton and Zizic. 2010 had Boobie Gipson, Alonzo Gee and JJ Hickson.

It feels different. Now its up to the team and coaching staff to make the difference. There is enough talent to make the playoffs. But it has to be committed to that goal. There is no reason that this team could not be a East contender after the 2020 season, with the cap space and talent they should have.

I’m really excited to see what kind of coach Ty Lue really is. Also exited to see how Love plays while being the focal point.
Still think we are a 6/7 seed if we can avoid injuries.

I'm deleting this post because this thread is for optimism, not soul crushing reality, and I was being a dick.

Sorry, everyone.

Last edited:
My guess is the optimism runs dry after, at most, 3 quarters tonight... only to be replenished when Zizic goes 5 for 5 in garbage time while posting up Fred Van Vleet and Delon Wright.

Game 1 against an improved Raptors team that finally gets to take out 3 years of LeBron frustration on a LeBron-less Cavs team? Woo boy. Hey Cedi, welcome to the starting lineup, you've got Kawhi.

Kawhi has had a shaky jumper in the preseason. He becomes easier to guard if he cannot shoot.

Further, way to come into the optimism thread and be a wet blanket.

Kawhi has had a shaky jumper in the preseason. He becomes easier to guard if he cannot shoot.

Further, way to come into the optimism thread and be a wet blanket.

Ah, I know. I couldnt help it. The optimism was bordering on irrational, and I didn't want people to get their hopes unreasonably high.

Ah, I know. I couldnt help it. The optimism was bordering on irrational, and I didn't want people to get their hopes unreasonably high.

Agreed. I think most know what is likely this season. Being hit over the head this offseason with it. This thread will be important for some tonight to get into the right mindset. Because the Raptors will likely make the Cavs look like chumps tonight.

It's quaint to see the optimism, but it's going to be a loooooong season with lots of losing. Love will break down physically and guys like Hood and Clarkston are black holes that put up some stats, but are not winners.

I am optimistic for a lottery pick

Cavs beat Boston 2x. Boston is better than the raptors. Double digit win for Cavs

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."